One

Cherry Blossoms

I met her in the spring.

 

She walked into the bakery one day, soaking wet from the pouring rain, cherry blossoms stuck to her skirt and nestled in her long, curly hair. She glanced up at me for a moment before turning her attention to her rose patterened tights; a tear ran from her calf to right above her knee, where it disappeared under her hemline.

"Motherer." She hissed, taking me by surprise. She sighed resignedly and tossed her hair over her shoulder as she made her way to the counter. 

"Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked politely.

"Yes, can I have a green tea, please? And..." She paused and leaned in closer, peeking behind me at the rows of sweets. I caught a whiff of her hair before she pulled back. She smelled like spring rain and perfume. "One of those cakes. With the blueberries on top."

"Sure." I said cheerfully. "You can take a seat. I'll bring them right over."

She smiled at me and I noticed belatedly that she had a strikingly pretty face. "Thank you..." She glanced at my nametag. "Jimin."

"Ah, you're welcome." I said softly. 

 

I studied her secretly as I prepared her order. The bakery was empty at the moment and she'd caught my interest for some reason. It wasn't every day that disheveled girls blew into the bakery like cherry blossoms blowing in the breeze. 

She plopped down into a seat and sighed, glancing at her phone impatiently. I turned the faucet on and filled the kettle with water as her phone began to ring.

"Where the hell are you?" She answered it angrily as I put the kettle on the stove. I pulled the cake out of the refridgerator and watched her as I cut a slice

She tugged anxiously at her hair, scattering cherry blossoms all over the floor. 

"What do you mean you're not coming?" She asked. "I walked for twenty minutes in the rain to get here so we could have this oh-so-important conversation and now you're telling me you're not coming?"

The tea kettle started to hiss obnoxiously. She glanced over and caught me staring. I quickly turned to the stove, trying to act like I hadn't been eavesdropping. 

"You're breaking up with me?" Her voice suddenly sounded small and fragile. "Over the phone? After everything we've been through?"

I looked away as I poured the boling water into a mug. It felt intrusive of me to even be in the same room as her as she had this conversation.

"Well, you, too." She spat, the anger suddenly returning like a spark. "It's better to be rid of a guy like you, anyway."

She abruptly hung up the phone just as I walked over with her order.

 

I placed the cake and tea in front of her with a small smile.

"If you eat something sweet at a bitter moment, it'll ease some of the pain." I said softly.

She looked up at me, tears pooling in her big brown eyes.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Sakura." She whispered.

I reached over and plucked a cherry blossom out of her curls.

"How fitting." I smiled. "I hope you like your cake."

She smiled back at me tentatively for a moment before clearing and wiping away her tears.

"Thank you." She said quietly, looking away from me. "I could use a little sweetness to brighten up this bitter day."

 

I walked back behind the counter as another customer walked in from the rain, an older man with a trench coat and a large umbrella. As I took his order, I couldn't help but notice that I was no longer the only one shooting secretive glances. 

 

Sakura.

A beautiful spring name suitable for what was, to me, the most beautiful spring day.