Day 30

425 Days

 

Something was definitely off at my last visit to Kyungsoo's place. Lately, Chanyeol was never there and Kyungsoo hyung kept checking his phone or gnawed the crap out of his lower lip. I could tell he didn't as much enjoy my company as he tried to endure me being there.

"Where's Chanyeol by the way? I haven't seen him in what, a month or so?"

Kyungsoo checked his phone again before answering me, pushing the plate of newly baked oatmeal cookies in front of me as a distraction.

"I erh... He's, he's busy. Work and stuff. Don't ask, I'm not sure I understand myself."

"Okay. It's just...  He's usually always glued to you."

"Well he's not now. So drop it!"

I winced at my hyung's harsh words. Kyungsoo wasn't one to raise his voice at me or anyone for that fact. Not unless he was either really pissed. Or sad.
It made me wonder if Chanyeol had somehow managed to awaken the beast within my kind-hearted Kyungsoo hyung.

And if he had, I would have to kick his .

-

A few days passed and Chanyeol kept ignoring my messages and declined all of my calls. It was infuriating and it was proof that something was up and that he was going to pay for it with bruises.

"Pick up your damn phone Chanyeol! ing prick."

I felt like smashing my phone against the pavement as I made my way towards Baekhyun hyung's apartment. Maybe he could shed some light on what was going on with the usually vomit-inducing, happy sappy, lovey dovey, perfectly perfect, ChanSoo couple. I still couldn't believe Kyungsoo hyung had been able to stand Chanyeol hyung and all of his annoying antics all those years. I was almost impressed, if not a tad concerned whether his mentality had taken a hit or two.

I can't deny that I was quite outraged when I learned that my best friend and Chanyeol started meeting up without me or Baekhyun for that matter. Suddenly Chanyeol was more important than me.
Suddenly Chanyeol came first.

But I don't complain...

I'm happy that Kyungsoo is happy. That's all I ever wanted for him. He's my best, best friend and I love him.

As a friend.


I decided to leave another message just to make sure to annoy Chanyeol as best as possible when I saw him. He was almost skipping along the road, a giant smile from ear to ear inhabited his face and by his side was Baekhyun. Up until then it seemed innocent enough, right up until the two stopped in front of a convenience store. Chanyeol swung Baekhyun in front of him and placed his hands on the smaller man's hips. He whispered something to Baekhyun before their lips met and my phone dropped to the ground.

Chanyeol was cheating on Kyungsoo with Baekhyun?

My hands balled into fists as Chanyeol stole yet another kiss before Baekhyun disappeared into the store alone.
My blood was boiling, my heart-rate quickened and I was more than ready to storm off and punch my friend in the face.

Except I didn't.

Because the moment Baekhyun was out of his line of sight, Chanyeol's expression changed to that of a man about to break down.

Instead I calmed myself before I approached him and with a voice full of regret I asked him the only question that was on my mind.

"What are you doing, Chanyeol?"

The man didn't even flinch, he just sighed as he turned to face me.

"You wouldn't understand."

"Try me, hyung."

In all my life I have never seen Chanyeol hyung cry. Not even once. This, was the closest I ever saw him to tearing up.

"I can't explain right now. Just... I need to ask you... A favour."

"Hyung..."

"I love Kyungsoo, I love him so much. But this is something I have got to do. I can't be there for him right now and I worry about him and I miss him. Will you look after him while I am unable to? Take care of him while I... can't? I'll come back for him. I promise. I just don't want him to be alone right now."

"You're not making any sense hyung."

"Please Jongin. You can hate me all you want and you don't have to speak to me ever again. Just please be there for him. And don't tell him I asked you to. Please."

With that Chanyeol hurried into the store when he spotted Baekhyun at the register. And I? I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, home to my hyung and best friend.