Day 16

425 Days

Continued...

-

I first met Chanyeol when I was 17 and my childhood best friend, Kim Jongin, dragged me out to meet his new friends.
When I was 13, Jongin 12, he moved with his family away from the suburbs and into the city. I was crushed of course but Jongin had smiled at me and reassured me that nothing was going to change.  And I believed him.
Over the years he visited as much as he could and every time I would relish seeing him. Jongin. Was beautiful. Compared to myself Jongin would be best described as a Greek God. An Adonis. Tall, broad-shouldered, athletic. Lips plumb like my own, a flat nose and half-lidded eyes that did nothing but compliment a sharp jaw line. And as years went by he managed to become even more handsome. It wasn't fair. God had certainly been generous with his gene pool.      
For once, I was the one visiting Jongin and the kid took me everywhere. He showed me his favourite eateries, spots and hangout places and lastly he wanted me to meet his friends.

"Come on, hyung! I can't wait for you to meet them!"

Jongin pulled me by the hand to quicken the pace. His hand was calloused but I didn't mind. Strangely enough I liked it.

"Chanyeol hyung, Baekhyun hyung. This. Right here. Is my best friend in the entire world, Do Kyungsoo. Hyung, these are the people I've had to settle for ever since I moved."

I came face to face with a blond boy about my own height and an almost naive look to him. Next to him stood a small giant reaching even higher than Jongin did. Brown curls and big ears caught my attention along with an open mouth and eyes about to pop out.
We sat down in the small café for a bite to eat. Jongin sat next to me, holding onto my shirt and occasionally put his head on my shoulder. Opposite me sat a staring Chanyeol and a quiet Baekhyun by his side. In all honesty, Chanyeol scared me the slightest so I directed all my attention towards Baekhyun except whenever I tried asking him a question, Chanyeol cut in to answer for him.

"Baekhyun-shii. How long have you known Jongin-ah?"

The boy lit up being asked a question before the light was turned off again when Chanyeol interrupted.

"We've known him for three years! The kid seemed so lost on his first day of high school that I took pity on him and asked him to sit with us. Haven't been able to shake him off since then but that's my mistake."

A thunderous laugh echoed from somewhere within Chanyeol's body when Jongin launched for him. I couldn't help laughing and being grateful for Jongin having found someone to take care of him when I obviously couldn't.

"You're both in the last year of high school right? What are your future plans, Baekhyun-shii?"

 "Baekhyun wants to study psychology for some reason. Me on the other hand, I want to work with kids. That way I'll get to play all day long!"

I felt bad for Baekhyun. He indulged his friend but it was clear to see he was upset. I was curious as to why Chanyeol kept answering for his friend but never asked why. I didn't want to make anything more awkward for him.

We stayed at the cafe until I eventually had to catch my train. Jongin insisted on paying for me much to my protest but as usual I caved in the end to Jongin's puppy eyes. I gave the two a quick bow before I went outside to wait for Jongin. Before I knew it a hand was placed on my shoulder.

"That was fast. Change your mind about paying, cheapskate?"

I rolled my eyes as I turned around, expecting to see Jongin holding out his hand for money but instead I was meet with a blushing Chanyeol.         

"I-It was really nice to meet you... Kyungsoo-shii."

"Uhm... You too, Chanyeol-shii."

The baby giant pulled his hand back as his smile crept wider.

"Will you come back to the city?"

"Well, I was planning on studying here so... yeah most likely."

"... What... What will you be studying?"

"Sociology."

"Cool. Cool... I have no idea what that is."

"It's a erh... a study of human behaviour."

"Ah! I bet Baekhyun and you will have a lot to talk about then!"

'Not if you keep answering for him we won't.'

"Yeah."

What I can only describe as an awkward silence slowly took over our brief conversation yet Chanyeol was still contorted into an exaggerated smile.

"Why are you smiling?"

"Why shouldn't I? I'm happy that I got to meet you!"

"Why?"

"You're  cute!"

That. Right there. Left me speechless. Involuntarily my cheeks started to burn and I think I muttered something along the lines of 'How about no.'

"Can I get your phone number?"

"I erh..."

Saved by the bell! Jongin came rushing out the door, grabbed my hand and started down the road at a startlingly high pace.

"Erh...It was nice meeting you Chanyeol-shii. Take care."

 For some reason Jongin tightened the hold on my hand as he lugged me along the streets of Seoul.