The Unanswered

A Love to Kill For

Tok. 짜릿한 니 사랑에. Tok. 나는 늘 목마른걸.
( Tok. Your thrilling love. Tok. I was always thirsty. )

"Are you here to kill me?"

Faster than the speed of light, Mark was able to easily trace his biological father's whereabouts. With a few questions and some descriptions, it was relatively simple to find a person he hadn't met for years. Once arriving at his father's doorstep, he had easily picked the lock and headed inside only to find his father sitting on the rocking chair, seemingly to await for his only son's arrival.

To anyone else, it would have seem extremely unnatural for a person to change so much within minutes. It was as if that last 10% that Mark lacked in psychopathic tendencies was the bit that prevented him from going overboard and becoming a completely heartless, morally incorrect boy. However, Mark's father didn't know any better. He just assumed that Mark had always been this way, so his behavior did not come as a shock.

But even upon hearing his own father ask him a question, Mark completely disregards it, "What right did you have to get involved in my life once again? What did I ever do to you that wronged you so? I've never hurt you, intentionally or accidentally. Why would you send people to come after me?"

It is clear as day that Mark only wants answers. He doesn't want to be anyone's pawn anymore, and he wants to finally take control of his life. He wants to finally put his past behind him, even if it meant putting Hana away into the depths of his heart. Yearning after her is not something he wants to do, because if he doesn't, it will only become more painful. All of this heart-break was unncessary and unplanned for. Why did he ever fall for his killer?

"What did you do?" his father almost scoffs, "Is that even a question? Did you completely forget that your own mother, my wife, died because of you? Because of your ridiculous joke of being able to differentiate between truths and lies, she became so scared that her psychopathic son was out to kill her! If that's not your fault, then I don't know what is."

He could hear the anger and frustration in his own father's voice, but strangely enough, he has begun to stop caring. Yes, he knows that his nonchalant behavior was quickly pulling at his own father's nerves, but Mark no longer believed it mattered. He just want answers, and his father's emotional release was not what he was looking for.

"My fault?" Mark repeats, raising an eyebrow, "Why is it my fault? Is it my fault that you married a tramp? You kept turning your attention away from her, so you wouldn't be able to see that her heart was no longer with you. That's why you guys argued so much. She was drifting away from you, and you couldn't handle it. The affair she was having, isn't it a sin, especially if she's still married? Is it so wrong for me to tell her that she is making a mistake?"

His father's eyes widened as he hears his own son talking to him with so much attitude that it almost seemed like Mark no longer viewed him as an adult, "How dare you talk to me like that? That woman you called a tramp is and always will be your mother, and I will always be your father. Show some respect!"

"Respect?" Now it was Mark's turn to laugh sarcastically, "I'll show you the same respect that you showed me. The kind of respect in which I hire an assassin to take your life and pay them, what was it? Oh wait, 50 million won. You must've really wanted me gone if that's the reward for taking your little boy's life."

Hearing his shameful actions being spoken of so lightly, it didn't surprise Mark that his father became red with anger, "That's enough! I don't need to hear this from you. Even if everything is true, you are still my biological son. You can't change that no matter what you do. If I could, then believe me when I say I would have. Why would I want a psychopath as my son? That's an embarrassment to the Tuan family!"

"Don't talk to me like you've got authority over me," Mark speaks coldly as if he is talking to trash. Every ounce of sympathy and empathy he had felt with Hana was completely gone, and in replace, there was a bunch of emotions that closely resembled ignorance and hatred, "You were never a father to me."

In an instant, Mark reaches into his pocket and pulls out a gun that he had earlier snatched from Hana's father. By the weight of the gun, he could tell that the weapon was definitely loaded, and it had a few bullets inside, enough to kill the man who was the true cause of Hana's death.

Yes, Mark was here to kill his own father for Hana.

He was the one who made her life completely miserable after all. It was his own father that brought the case to Hana's life, and because she had to act like the perfect daughter, she had to accept it and meet him. It was only after he encountered Hana that everything went downhill. He broke some, and she broke some. The two became different people with each other. They had complimented one another so well.

However, all good things don't last. That was what Mark has learned, and that is why he is going to get some justice for Hana. She had died unfairly, and he didn't feel at ease knowing that his own father would continue living a happy life when his only purpose for living had finally left his side.

"So you are going to kill me?" Mark's father breathes, his voice shaking as well, indicating that he was just as nervous.

"Isn't that obvious?" Mark replies with a smile, one that showed no mercy, "I mean, it's only right for me to kill a killer. You are Hana's true killer, Hana's father was only a stand-in. You were the one who caused the domino effect to happen. If the true cause is eliminated, then the world would be a better place, wouldn't it? Aren't you proud of me for making the world a better place?"

Seeing his own son smile at him right before he had clearly stated his intentions caused him to get shivers down his spine. He has never seen Mark have so much evil-intent before in his life, and it clearly scared him, "...You aren't human. You are the devil."

But even so, Mark remains unfazed by the remark, "The devil? No, I'm just the reaper. I'm hear to collect souls when it is their time to go, and my dear father, it is finally your time. Do you have any last words?"

He aims the gun right at his father's heart, the smile upon his lips brighter than ever. In the light, Mark seemed to be the perfect fallen angel, one that has turned for the worse. The 10% that he lacked in his psychological evluation had finally caught up to him. His father closed his eyes, "Your life will be worse than Hell."

With that, Mark fires mercilessly. His father, clutching at his heart, collapses onto the floor. He was breathing heavily as the life within him slowly began to leave. He was, naturally, in so much pain that it strangely made Mark quite happy, "What do you mean my life will be worse than Hell? You've never been more wrong, old man. Do you see me right now? The sight of you dying has never made me happier. Even as your last words, you still spout nonsense."

A weak laugh escaped from his father's lips and with his dying breath, he manages to make out, "Even when you realize that the one you're killing me for, Kim Hana, never died?"

Hearing those words made Mark's heartbeat stop. That couldn't be. It couldn't be possible. When he had spoken to Hana's father earlier, he clearly felt the feelings of truth when the subject of Hana's death was brought up. It was in that moment that he suddenly realized something was extremely wrong. He had been too preoccupied with his uncontrollable emotions that he had completely forgotten about the most important thing.

"...I can't feel it anymore," Mark's eyes widens, "I can't tell if you're lying or if you're telling the truth. I can't- how is that possible? I've always been able to tell."

Immediately he turns his attention to his dying father, shaking his shoulders to get him to speak more. However, when he did so, he could tell that the last bit of life has finally left the only family he had left. It seemed like the revival of the last 10% of his psychopathical tendencies caused his ability to disappear. He could no longer rely on his ability anymore. He could not read people easily. He could no longer hear people through their gaze better.

That alone, put him in panic.

He doesn't understand why Hana's father was telling the truth when he said that his daughter died. Perhaps, his ability was already deteriorating at that point, and he just didn't realize it. It was also possible that his own father told him Hana was alive as his last form of revenge, a cruel joke. He no longer knows what to think.

His father was right. Living was going to be worse than Hell, especially if he no longer knows for sure if the one he loves is living or dead, especially if he has lost his ability. With one loud scream to release up all his pent up frustration, he regains his cool, calm, collected self.

"...If you are alive, I will find you, my Hana. I promise."

Tok. 아무도 몰래 널 자꾸 찾게되.
Tok. Without anyone knowing, I keep searching for you.