The Rebirth

A Love to Kill For

Tik. 니가 나를 보는 그 눈빛에.
( Tik. Your eyes that gazed at me. )

It was all over before it even began, and that hurt Mark more than anything else. He didn't know what he should feel. Is he supposed to explode in anger because the girl he loves is truly dead? Is he supposed to burst into tears because he can no longer see her smile by his side?

However, before Mark could piece his feelings together, he realizes that he still has no idea who the person in front of him truly is. This man who still looked oddly menacing yet saddened. Just what is his relationship to Saemi, or rather, Hana? How did he even find him? How does he know that this man is speaking the truth? This could all very well be a scam, and that causes Mark to grow wary.

"You're lying," he finally states, but while he tried to speak in a confident manner, his words came out with the slightest tremble. With his ability, he knew for a fact that the man was only speaking the truth.

Hearing the accusation, the man just lets out a soft, dejected laugh, "I wish I were kidding. If this was all a joke, then everything would still be normal. My daughter would still be alive."

Daughter? Mark's eyes suddenly shot open as he finally came to realize who the man in front of him was. The man that told him the story of Kim Hana was none other than Hana's killer. The one who took away the innocent girl's life just because she thought that there was a target that didn't deserve to die.

"You're Hana's father?" Mark's voice suddenly became cold and deadly, "You're the one who pulled the trigger? The one who decided that the only person I cared for should die because she saw a little hope of humanity in me? You're the reason for all of this?"

With each allegation, Mark takes another step closer towards to Hana's father. His tone grows more dangerous by the second, and suddenly, it seems like all morality had left his heart. His eyes were sinister, and they made it seem like Mark was intending to kill the one who took away his beloved. While he was broken a few moments ago, he suddenly seemed like a fully-functioning predator.

However, Hana's father didn't back down. He has been the leader of his gang for years, and a little intimidation wasn't going to make him cower in fear like it would anyone else, even if the boy in front of him was said to have psychopathic tendencies. He wishes that Hana was here to see Mark's change in behavior, and perhaps, this scene would cause her to change her mind.

Of course, he was wishing for the impossible once again.

Before the man could make a defensive case for himself, Mark interjects once more, "Why did you do it? She was your daughter! How could you take your daughter's life so easily?"

"Did you think I wanted to?" he counters, "Did you really think I wanted to kill my own daughter? The daughter I knew and loved had completely changed after she met you. I don't know what is so special about you, and I don't know what you did, but when she came back, she was broken. She was no longer the Kim Hana I created. How could you take the life of my favorite killer?"

Truth.

"What the did I do?" Mark spoke lowly, "Don't you dare put all the blame on me. Who are you to control every single piece of Hana's life? Is she your puppet? How can you even think of manipulating her all this time? She doesn't have to fulfill every single one of your wishes. She can act as her own person! All I did was make her realize that she isn't yours. She can be who she wants to be. I just didn't know you were stupid enough to think that I broke your favorite killer. All I did was give her new perspective! If you really think about it, Hana's death is on you."

Sorrow suddenly began to fill the man's eyes as if he needed to hear the blunt words of the truth, "Yeah, I suppose you're right. I didn't want to kill her. I truly didn't. However, we needed that money. Hana didn't know, but our whole family (A/N: He is referring to his entire gang) is slowly going under. We needed the money if our whole family was going to continue existing. It's hard to support everyone if we kept dropping cases. Your father was going to give us $50 million. That would've been more than enough, but Hana couldn't carry the task through. Desparate times call for desparate measures. The choice was mine. It was Hana's life or the family's life. One or a hundred. I am the father. What was I supposed to do? Let everyone down? I needed to step up and be a leader for once. I needed everyone to know that I mean business, and things must be carried out. Rules cannot be broken. That is the life of a gang member; I'm sure Hana knew this. It makes me wonder why she even came back."

Truth.

But even as Hana's father continued to try to explain himself, Mark didn't want to hear it. He didn't want to hear anyone's hardships, because he didn't want to sympathize with such a cold-hearted person. Emotions were such burdensome things. If he begins to put himself in Hana's father's position, then he wouldn't be able to hate him, and he truly wanted to hate him. Thanks to him, he will never be able to see Hana again.

"Why do you even care?" Mark grits his teeth, obviously still upset about the whole situation, "You have no right to care for Hana. For a person who took her life, you sure have a lot to say. You should be grateful that I haven't killed you yet, because every single part of my body is telling me to."

"And every part of my body is telling me to kill you," Hana's father declared just as easily, "If it weren't for you, then nothing would've ever happened. Why did you ask your mother if she needed help going to Hell because she's been lying? Why did you tell her all that right after she received a result that you have 90% of psychopathic tendencies? Why did you have to scare her so much that it caused her to run out and get hit by a car? Why did you make your family hate you? It was all because of you that your father approached us with the mission of killing you!"

Truth.

Just like that, the blame kept on shifting between Mark and Hana's father. All of their pent up emotions were suddenly flowing out endlessly. Neither of them could truly understan the other's position. They didn't know how to empathize.

Mark clenched his fists in irritation, "Who are you to blame me? Do you really think you know me enough to tell me that it's all my fault? What's wrong with exposing someone's lies? All lying does is hurt people! I've seen my parents fight again and again, and it was because my mother was secretly having an affair behind my father's back! Did you really think I was going to let her get away with that? I did what any good son would do!"

The boy's words made the man freeze. Now that was one side of the story the man has never heard. If Mark was trying to expose his mother as a liar and a cheat, then in actuality, Mark has never truly made the wrong choice necessarily. It was just that no one has ever understood him. Yes, he may have had psychopathic tendencies according to the test that his mother had him take, but that did not guarantee that he was a psychopath.

Was everything misunderstood from the start?

The man searched Mark's eyes for any sign of lies, but he found none. Had Hana been right? Was Mark just a lost kid who grew up without guidance? Was he just a little bit off morally, but truly not a bad kid? Once more, the man chuckles sadly. Why didn't he believe his daughter earlier?

Mark ruffles his hair in frustration as he struggled to figure out what he should do in such a situation. Did all of this start because of him? Was it really his fault that Hana had to die in order to keep him alive? Should he have never confronted his own mother about her lies and affairs? Why didn't his father stand by his side? His parents did argue all the time, so why didn't his father trust him more? He always thought that he was the perfect son.

Why didn't anyone else see it?

The boy wanted to scream. He wanted to let out all of his frustrations in an instant. He wanted to forget about everything that had connections to Hana. Who was she to come into his life and make him feel so miserable? Who was she to make him doubt himself? Everything went wrong the moment the two of them met. Everything went wrong the moment that Mark decided to make her his new target. Everything went wrong when he became interested in her.

Clenching his fists together, he attempts to hold back every urge to scream at the universe, at fate. It wasn't his fault. He didn't do anything wrong. All he did was try to keep everyone truthful. How wrong could such a simple act be? What's so wrong about hating lies? Isn't that what the gift he was given, for? Everything that happened could not be blamed on himself. He is innocent; he didn't do anything.

Slowly but surely, he found himself convincing himself that it wasn't his fault that such a tragedy happened to Hana. Instead, by the end of the self-convincing, he realizes that he is oddly calm. Everything became silent, still. Yes, this was all just a cruel fate, and there is only one person who should be blamed. He had finally made his break-through.

The boy that Hana once knew was gone. Instead, it was as if he was reborn. Mark Tuan, the student, has finally found that 10%.

With a chilling grin, Mark straightens himself out, "...Karma's finally going to get you, my dear father."

Tik. Your eyes that killed for me.