The Crisis

A Love to Kill For

하루종일. Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok.
( Every day. Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok. )

What should have happened during Hana's stay at JG High was relatively simple. She was supposed to enroll in the high school and stay away from attention. She was supposed to quietly observe Mark from the background and pick out the little things that would be helpful in planning her attack.

What sort of habits does Mark have that could result in an accident? What sort of hobbies does Mark enjoy that may result in some unfortunate circumstance? Would a hit-and-run be possible to arrange in such a way that she would not be caught?

All of these questions clouded her mind every day. All of her training with her brothers came rushing back to her, and now, she was truly in the field. The experience was, at the very least, different.

She tried to keep a close watch him, following him to different places. Sometimes, she would arrive early, and other times, she would arrive late. This would keep Mark from suspecting that she had actually been sticking close to him, watching his every movement.

When she would see him, she would say those polite, respectful things again, "Good morning, Mark," which was followed by a simple, "Have a nice day," but even as she spoke those words, she knew that his life was easily in her hands. His nice day would only proceed if she hadn't found an appropriate way to end this psychopathic boy's life.

So when Mark decides to take a seat in front of her in the cafeteria, she is completely baffled. It certainly didn't help her situation when Mark decided to take stare into her eyes lovingly, "Park Saemi. I've really missed you."

She squirms uncomfortably in her chair as she places down the sandwich she was eating. She raises an eyebrow at him in complete confusion, unsure of what to say. He had certainly confused her for someone else, hasn't he? The two of them were hardly acquaintances for him to miss her.

"Are you alright?" is the only thing she manages to make out, "Did you mistake me for someone else? I'm Park Saemi."

But her inquiry didn't earn herself any answers from the perplexing situation that Mark had placed her in. Instead, he just shakes his head and gives her the famous, loving expression that Mark uses to cause all the girls to swoon, "I could never mistaken anyone else for my girlfriend, and I've really, truly missed you."

Girlfriend?

Saemi doesn't know what to say. She wasn't just confused; she was completely and utterly lost. She didn't know where Mark was spinning these lies, but she knew that the stranger in front of her did just claim her to be his.

Was this all a dream?

"...M-Mark?" was all she manages to say before he chooses to lean in and kiss her.

"I love you."

***

Saemi is completely stunned. She doesn't know what to say, and she doesn't know what to do. She has never been intimate with anyone before; she doesn't even know what intimacy means. As Mark pulled away, almost as if he was expecting a typical swooning reaction, Saemi only knew how to glare, "...What the hell?"

Oh, how she wanted to stand up and punch Mark in the face. She truly wanted to take the fork in front of her and stab the boy in the chest so hard that it would fully pierce through his body. She wanted to tear his limbs off in front of every single one of these students and teach them never to mess with her.

But she didn't.

Words could not describe the amount of self-control she was putting in to make sure that she does not break the fake identity of Park Saemi. Saemi was supposed to be a sweet girl. She is not supposed to hurt anyone. She is not capable of hurting anyone.

However, she could've sworn, for a split second, she saw Mark mockingly grin at her, but those became doubts as she watches Mark apologize to her with that same princely expression, "I'm sorry about that! I needed someone to help me get rid of a girl who has become obssessed with me. I couldn't get someone at this school to help me out, because everyone knows that I'm not dating anyone here. Since you just transferred, I thought it would be more ideal. Please forgive me."

At first, Saemi wasn't sure how to react. The boy Mr. Tuan had described earlier was nothing like the Mark she was witnessing right now. This boy had just apologized to her for his own mistake. Would it be too heartless to not forgive him?

Biting the inside of her cheek, she found herself looking down, slightly feeling self-conscious. Was it just her, or were all the eyes in the cafeteria watching herself and Mark?

To make everyone stop watching the scene that the two of them were causing, she tries to dismiss the issue, putting on a perfect facade, "Oh, so that's what happened! I completely understand. I'm more than happy to help you out with your problem."

While her words stated one thing, she could only feel fire burning in her chest. She doesn't understand what Mark was trying to do. Why did it seem like he deliberately chose her to be his stand-in girlfriend for ulterior motives? Why did he grin at her when she reacted in such a dangerous manner? Not to mention, she had picked up on his flinch when she told him that she would help him with his issue, so why wasn't he more grateful?

She wasn't sure if it was that Mark was a confusing person, or that all psychopaths were just confusing in general. None of these reactions that Mark was giving were in the training she had went through back home with her father and brothers. Biting down on her bottom lip, she realizes that she cannot understand the person that is Mark Tuan.

Who is he, really?

***

Rumors spread quickly and Saemi found it increasingly difficult to play the nice student. Every time she walks through the hall, all the eyes of her fellow classmates were on her. There was not a single person who didn't know about the rumors of the school.

Park Saemi took Mark Tuan to a hotel. Mark Tuan is threatened to be Saemi's lover. Saemi and Mark are in an arranged marriage situation. Saemi is pregnant with Mark's child.

She doesn't understand where people came up with all these lies, and it blows her mind that she is portrayed as the villain in all of these sayings. What did she ever do that wronged the entire school? Had she completely screwed up her image already?

It wasn't hard for her to figure out that the girls who were jealous of her position as Mark's girlfriend had begun to play some dirty tricks. At first, she just found that her things continued to go missing, but as time went on, she notices the little notes that are slipped into her desk and locker that told her to stay away from their beloved prince.

She wanted to tell them that she would never be in this position if it weren't for her sole purpose in coming to some ty high school like this. She was really starting to regret taking on this job.

However, when she found herself at her lowest point, she heard Mark declare that he would personally kill whoever is spreading lies about the two of them. She, of course, believes that Mark would literally hurt another student like he did to his mother, but at the same, she couldn't help but feel a little touched.

Needing another excuse to go see her boyfriend, she grabs her recent test and runs off to find him, "Mark! Do you believe it? Guess who just got her first 100 on a test?"

A wide smile was bright upon her lips, but it wasn't because of the 100 that she had received. No, she has gotten many of those before. Instead, it was because she thought that maybe, just maybe, she might have gotten a little closer to Mark. If she has, then that means that she was one step closer to getting to know him better, and one step closer to finishing this mission.

"Good job," he grins, reaching over to ruffle her hair, "I knew you could do it. You should have a bit more faith in yourself. I know you'll get another 100 pretty qucikly."

She gasps, pretending to be offended, "I have plenty of faith in myself! I just often don't do as well as I hope!"

Mark gently flicks her in the forehead, "You better not be lying to me."

Saemi laughs, shaking her head, but she clearly knows that she is. She always exceeded her expectations because she doesn't want to disappoint her new family. She doesn't want them to think that she is burden. That is her motivation to try her best.

That is also why she doesn't know what it means to fail.

Every second. Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok.