The Impression

A Love to Kill For

Nobody knows. 내가 매일 너를 이렇게 원하는걸.
( Nobody knows, Just how much I want you every day. )

"LOOK OUT!" The loud scream of a girl took everyone by surprise. However, it only took a split second for the students in the hallway to realize what she was shouting about. In front of her, there was another girl who was standing on a ladder as she attempted to hang decorations up around the school halls. Beside ladder girl, a group of boys had been carelessly kicking a soccer ball around.

Mark's eyes swiveled towards the scene, foreshadowing an accident to happen. He, too, had been walking through the hall in an attempt to head to class on time. The moment he realized what was about to happen, he rushed over to catch the falling girl without hesitation.

A loud clatter was heard as one of the soccer boys ran into the ladder in a futile attempt to catch the soccer ball before it caused a scene, just as Mark had predicted. In one swift move, he easily caught the girl in his arms.

With a charming smile, he looks at her in concern, "Are you alright?"

He recognized the girl immediately. Her name was Yong Seura. She was one of the girls he had immediately taken notice of due to her constant attempts to get close to him. He couldn't exactly say that she was a bully to anyone, and he couldn't exactly say that her methods were wrong in any way. She was just dedicated.

"Mark?" her eyes lit up at the sight of her savior, but then she quickly put on that slightly more timid mask, "Oh, isn't this embarrassing?"

Lie.

Mark chuckles lightly at her reply, "Be careful next time, alright? I might not be around next time to catch you when you fall."

Seura just gives him a clumsy smile, "Sorry to bother you. Sometimes, I can be quite clumsy! I'll make sure that this doesn't happen again!"

Lie. Lie. Lie.

"Promise?" he raises an eyebrow, but the gentle smile does not fade from his expression, "I would never want to see you hurt."

The girl nods eagerly, "I promise!"

Lie.

With a small nod of the head, Mark resumes to head back to his classroom, leaving an extremely satisfied Seura behind. However, as Mark turns to leave, the smile he had given her falters for a second.

If there was one thing Mark cannot tolerate in this world, then it would be lying, and Seura had been doing a lot of it recently. He knew that she wanted to be with him, and judging by the conversation he just had with her, he knew that she must have planned the accident. She knew that he would be walking past her classroom at this time. She knew that the boys would make her fall from the ladder when they started to kick the soccer ball around. She also knew that Mark would not let her fall if he was present.

She also knew that she would do the same thing again, so Mark would catch her once more.

She planned it all.

To put it more simply, Mark had an ability. It wasn't something major like having the fictional abilities to fly or teleport, but he was capable of knowing when someone was telling the truth or a lie. He thought of the two actions as feelings. Whenever someone speaks to him, he got a feeling: lie or truth.

Though he couldn't exactly describe how lies and truths felt, he could easily tell you that lies felt uncomfortable, not painful, but solely uncomfortable. Ever since he discovered his ability, he realized how many people have been lying to him. Though, to be fair, there were also a handful of people who spoke the truth, but even then, he still found it greatly upsetting at the amount of lies there were.

Seura had been giving him the lie feeling for awhile now, and he knew it was all because of her intentions of getting closer to him.

That is why Mark decides to be late to class the next day, so he would not catch Seura. He wanted her to fall. Maybe once she feels the pain of falling without anyone to catch her, it would keep her from doing something so troublesome again.

With that thought passing through his mind, he smiles.

***

As soon as class began, his teacher immediately announced the news of a new transfer student who would be joining his class. Although he finds the fact that a new person transferring to his class to be troublesome, he puts on another mask. Unfortunately for him, he knows that he needs to pretend that he is interested; he is the ideal student after all.

The ideal student would be interested in a new student to befriend.

The teacher gestures for the new student to come in, and Mark almost rolls his eyes. It was another female; more specifically, Mark believes it's another female who would fall head over heels in love with him. He doesn't want another Seura to enter his classroom or his life.

"Introduce yourself," the teacher instructed, glancing at the new girl.

She takes a deep breath before looking at the students in the class, "My name is Park Saemi. I'm a transfer student from Seoul. I moved because my parents' business didn't work out exactly the way they wanted in the big city. Please take care of me."

To anyone else, Saemi's introduction to the class was typical. There were a lot of students who would transfer back from the city because their parents' businesses did not go as well as anticipated. These students would then return to less city-like towns to start a new life; Park Saemi seemed to be like one of these students.

However, everyone else was not Mark. The moment Saemi had opened to speak, Mark could hear it all. Lie after lie after lie. Nothing she had said was the truth, not even her name.

The girl known as Saemi was a complete mystery.

While Mark puts on his best smile, he notices Saemi's gaze suddenly meets his. Her eyes widened in surprise for a second, and then she puts on that familiar smile again, easily causing him to be ever-so-slightly intrigued.

Luckily for him, Saemi was assigned the seat to the left of him. As the teacher turned around to resume writing on the board and begin the lesson, Mark flashes Saemi one of his famous smiles, "I saw how surprised you were when you saw me earlier. Do we know each other?"

The surprised expression that he had seen earlier failed to surface again. Instead, Saemi just gives him a confused look, "I'm sorry. I must've mistaken you for someone else."

Lie.

"Is that so?" Mark inquires, knowing full well that the girl was still lying, "Well, my name is Mark. I hope we get along well."

Saemi gives him a polite smile as well, "I'm Saemi. I hope we get along well too."

Lie.

Hearing Saemi speak nothing but lies, Mark attempts to fight back the growing annoyance within him. For someone who was, as far as he could tell, a compulsive liar, he didn't understand why she could smile so easily. Wasn't it tiring to keep track of all the lies? Wouldn't it be better if she just departed from the world of the living?

He could help with that.

No one in his past had ever lied as much as Saemi did, and although it was only the first impression, he could tell that Saemi was not someone he was going to enjoy having around. Though there were people who would lie constantly, there was not a single person in his life who lied about everything.

With a final look at Park Saemi, Mark glances back at the board, unable to concentrate. His darker thoughts were slowly consuming him.

The perfect boy Mark Tuan was not as perfect as everyone thought.

Nobody knows just how much I want to kill her every day.