16

Precious Gems

 

 

Though Sunday afternoons meant leisure and free time for most people, Jenny knew that Haeun would be knee deep in work at the bridal shop. Sure enough, when she walked into the store, she could see that several appointments were in full swing. Brides-to-be stood in front of full length mirrors, on top of pedestals, examining the dresses with critical eyes while their friends and families gave their opinions, ooh-ed and ahh-ed. Jenny let her eyes wander around the shop and could understand why her friend loved her job so much, despite the stress it gave her. Dresses in different shades of white hung on racks on the left side off the room. To her right were the dressing rooms and a small receptionist's table. The receptionist saw Jenny gave her a smile, and pointed towards the back of the shop, where Haeun's office was located. Knocking was unnecessary as the door was wide open, she settled of one of the chairs and waited for her friend to finish her call.

 

Haeun set the phone down, sighed, then sunk into her chair. Her friend looked tired. She was wearing her glasses, which meant that she started work early this morning. Tendrils of her hair has broken free from her ponytail and Jenny spied an empty coffee cup on her desk.

 

Remind me why I opened this place again.”

 

Jenny smiled. “Because you're a hopeless romantic and you like being surrounded by pretty, sparkly things everyday.”

 

Who knew helping people achieve their happy endings came with so much stress?”

 

Imagine how fairy godmothers feel.”

 

Haeun laughed at her friend's comment. Jenny saw her friend's body relax some and some tension was gone from her face as well.

 

Jenny stood up. “Let's go out for lunch. The girls look like they've got things under control and you look like you could use a break. I'll even pay.”

 

That earned her a wide grin from her friend, who stood up slowly, stretched then fixed her hair. She then applied some lip gloss before joining Jenny who stood at the entrance to the office. Haeun informed the receptionist that she would be taking a long lunch break. They walked to a small family restaurant a few blocks east of the bridal shop. They chose to sit outside, as Haeun had spent hours enclosed in her office and wanted to get as much sun and fresh air as she possibly could before she had to go back. The waiter was quick to take their orders and the friends were once again alone.

 

Spill it.” said Haeun. As much as she appreciated being taken out to lunch by her best friend, she knew that there was a reason her friend came to see her today.

 

Spill what? I just thought I'd come see you today. It's been a while since I saw you. I haven't seen you since you and my brother decided to drop the relationship bomb on me.” Jenny was rambling, trying to stall for time and the expression on her friend's face said she knew as much. It was hard to hide things from a person who'd known her for almost 2 decades. “Okay, fine. Hoya and I had our dinner date Friday night.”

 

Haeun knew it had to do with Hoya. “How was it?”

 

Jenny smiled. “It was good. He seems like a pretty down-to-earth guy, despite the whole athlete thing. He was easy to talk to and I felt comfortable being him.”

 

When are you guys going out again?”

 

I don't know. He said he'd call me, but his schedule is pretty crazy this week, so I don't expect a call from him for at least another week.”

 

Keeping tabs on him now?”

 

Don't look at me like that. You know I followed the team even before I met Hoya.”

 

I know, but it's fun teasing you. You get annoyed so easily.”

 

Do not.”

You're kind of proving my point there.”

 

Jenny stuck her tongue out at her friend and quickly retracted it when she saw their waiter make his way to their table with his orders. He placed their food on their table and left to take care of his other customers. As they dug into their food, conversation was temporarily forgotten.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

As promised, Jenny paid for their meal and walked her friend back to her shop. Haeun thanked her friend for lunch, hugged her and went back inside. Jenny still had a good chunk of the day left and decided to make the most of the beautiful weather by checking out a farmer's market nearby. She bought the things she needed to stock her fridge, then took her time checking out the other stalls, enjoying the different things they had to offer. Her eye was drawn to a booth that was selling homemade jewelry. She set her purchases down on the ground and started perusing the merchandise. She picked up a ring, tried it on and when she went to put it back on the stand, it slipped from her hands and bounced about a foot away. Embarrassed, she apologized to the woman running the stall before leaving to retrieve the dropped good. After picking up the ring, she saw a familiar face head her way. He saw her too and started waving to her. She waited for him to join her.

 

Hi Jenny! How is my favorite fan?” asked Dongwoo.

 

Jenny blushed, remembering how she made a fool out of herself last time she saw him. “I'm good. Can you wait here a moment? I just need to return something.” she said as she showed him the ring. Dongwoo nodded. She apologized to the owner one more time, picked up her purchases and rejoined Dongwoo.

 

Sorry about that.”

 

No problem.” replied Dongwoo. “Looks like you've had a productive afternoon.” he said after seeing the bags in her hands.

 

And you look like you have date.” she countered, referring to way he was dressed and the flowers he was carrying.

 

He grinned, then nodded. “You're right. I'm on my way to pick up my girlfriend. She lives around here.”

 

Jenny wasn't sure what to do with that information so she just nodded her head.

 

What are you doing in this part of town?”

 

I dropped by my best friend's work and took her out for lunch.”

 

Dongwoo nodded. He then asked for her opinion about the flowers he was holding. “I got the idea to buy flowers from you actually. I didn't notice them when I came home on Friday, but when I woke up the next morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find them on the dining room table. Hoya said that you had brought them.”

 

Your flowers are lovely. I'm sure your girlfriend will be very happy with your choice.” That comment earned her a smile from Dongwoo.

 

Thanks. Can I ask you another question?”

 

Sure.”

 

Why did you take so long to call Hoya? He must have checked his phone a million times in the short time we were away.”

 

Jenny didn't have a good excuse to tell him, so she just shrugged.

 

He likes you a lot, you know. He might not say it outright, but I can tell. I also happen to think you're good for him. He's been smiling a lot more since he's met you.” Dongwoo checked his watch and was surprised at the time. “I'm sorry to run off on you like this, but I have to go. Jihyo's expecting me.”

 

No worries. Go ahead. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble because of me.”

 

It was nice seeing you again.” Dongwoo said before leaving.

 

As she made her way back to her car, she thought back to what Hoya's friend and team mate had said to her. Coming from someone who knew Hoya well, Jenny didn't take his words lightly. Talking to him re-assured her and she was grateful for the vote of confidence from Dongwoo.