11

Precious Gems

Dongwoo could tell by his friend's expression that he was less than pleased that Dongwoo was intruding on his alone time with Jenny. Hoya gave him a look that said “Go away!”. He chose to ignore it and addressed Jenny. I am probably digging my own grave, but I'll die having fun. Dongwoo said to himself.

 

Hi again Jenny!” said Dongwoo.

 

Jenny noticed the men exchange looks and wondered what those looks meant.

 

Find everything you needed?” asked Jenny.

 

Yes, thanks.” said Dongwoo as he showed her the book about Kenya he was holding in his hands.

 

How can I help you then?”

 

I was just curious about something.” Dongwoo said as he glanced at his friend. Hoya stood to the right of Jenny, looked at his friend and wondered just exactly he was up to.

 

What about?”

 

You.” Dongwoo replied.

 

Jenny couldn't hide her surprise at his answer. “What about me?”

 

Who's your favorite player on the team? You must have one. I promise I won't tell anybody.” said Dongwoo.

 

To be honest...You'remyfavorite player.” said Jenny quickly. Hoya felt anger rise up from an unknown place as Dongwoo started laughing.

 

Really? Thanks. Remind me to give you a signed jersey next time I'm here.”

 

That's not necessary.” said Jenny.

 

I insist. It's the least I can do.” Dongwoo looked at Hoya and saw that he was shooting daggers with his eyes. “Thanks for being honest. I think I'll go see how the others are doing.” said Dongwoo before walking away.

 

When we get home, I am going to kill him, friendship be damned. Hoya thought to himself. Beside him, he could hear Jenny giggling.

 

He's even crazier in real life than on TV.” said Jenny.

 

Imagine having to live with him.” replied Hoya.

 

Must be fun.”

 

Most of the time.” admitted Hoya with a smile as he looked at his friend's retreating figure.

- - - - - - - - - - -

After browsing through several aisles, Hoya knew that he couldn't up with his charade much longer. He could see that Jenny was trying her best to keep her composure, but he could sense that she getting frustrated.

 

I think I remember the book now.” Hoya declared. Within a few moments, Jenny had found the book and handed it to him.

 

Thanks. I'm sorry it took me so long to remember.”

It's okay. At least we found it.”

 

So...”

 

So...”

 

Is Dongwoo really your favorite member of the team?” The words came out of Hoya's mouth before he had realized he said them. Jenny simply nodded.

 

Any special reason?”

 

He just seems like he always has fun on the field. That, and my older brother likes him too.”

 

I see. What about me?” Hoya inquired. He was half-anxious to hear what Jenny had to say.

 

You're so intense that I sometimes wonder if you're having fun at all.”

 

Ouch...” Hoya said jokingly.

 

Sorry! I didn't mean that as an insult.”

 

Doesn't mean it hurts any less.” Hoya added.

 

Look, I'm really sorry. Forget I said all that.”

 

Hoya decided to milk this situation for all it was worth. “It's too late now.”

 

What can I do to make it up to you?”

 

Have coffee with me. Today. After work.” There. I asked her out. Please let her say yes.

 

Jenny couldn't believe what she just heard. “Could you repeat that? I think I misheard what you said.”

 

I'm asking you to have coffee with me after you're done with work today. That is if you don't have any other plans...”

 

Jenny stood frozen to her spot, absorbing the question and trying to find a way to answer. “Mmmm...Sure. Coffee' sounds good.”

 

When he heard her answer, Hoya's face broke into a wide grin. “There's a coffee place not too far from here. Do you want to meet up there? Say around 6?”

 

Jenny could only nod in agreement.

 

Good.” Hoya then heard someone call his name. He turned around, saw Dongwoo pointing at his watch and knew that it was time to go. That's twice today, you've had bad timing my friend. He turned back towards Jenny and said: “Listen, I have to go now. But I'll see you tonight at 6, right?”

 

I'll be there.” said Jenny.

 

If you don't show up, I'll know at least one place you can be.”

 

I'll be there.” Jenny repeated.

 

Ok then. I'll see you tonight.” Hoya said before walking away.