10

Precious Gems

I'm dressed like this because I'm a project manager and I want to represent our company well. Jenny kept thinking to herself as she walked into the office this morning. She put her things down on her desk, sat on her chair, put her hands to head and sighed. Who I am kidding? I meet an athlete once and already I'm like this. Jenny thought about how she had agonized long and hard this morning over what to wear, how to do her makeup and how to try and tame her mane. As a result, she was almost late to work, something that never happened. Snap out of it! You're a grown woman! You can can do this! she encouraged herself. With that, she set on to work on the rest of the preparations to be done before the athletes got to the bookstore.

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

“This looks really good Jen!” praised her co-worker, Aiden.

 

“Thanks!” Jen replied as she stepped back to admire her handiwork.

 

The store was setting up a special section where the United players monthly selections would be featured. Jenny came up with the idea of having the players write a short note explaining the book then framing the notes and have them displayed alongside the books.

 

Her co-worker then proceeded to show her one of the life-size cutouts of one the players that would be used around the store to promote their company and the team's joint initiative. Jenny got a shock as she saw who's cutout it was. She was staring at Hoya's smiling face.

 

“Pretty good, huh?” asked her co-worker.

 

“Not bad if I say so myself.” said an amused voice behind Jenny. Jenny got goosebumps when she heard the man's voice and slowly turned around to confirm her suspicions.

 

“Hi again.” said Hoya simply.

 

“Hi.” managed Jenny weakly.

 

“You guys are early!” said Aiden.

 

“Coach went easy on us today, so we finished practice a bit earlier than usual. Is that gonna be a problem?” asked. the approaching Dongwoo.

 

“No problem at all” replied Aiden. “Jenny, stay there with them. I'll go get the rest of the team.”

 

Jenny was at a loss as to how to deal with the situation. “Stay calm.” she commanded herself.

 

Dongwoo approached Jenny and stuck out his right hand. “I'm Dongwoo.” he said as he flashed a dazzling smile. “I think I saw you last time but we were never properly introduced.”

 

“Jenny.”

 

Jenny then took Dongwoo right hand and shook it. “You have very nice hands.” she said out loud. What did I just say?! I just made a fool out of myself. Just great... She could feel heat rush to her cheeks. Luckily, Dongwoo seemed to take her comment in stride.

 

“Thanks.” said Dongwoo.

 

Hoya stood back and watched the whole situation from the side and had to stifle a laugh when he heard Jenny's comment.

 

Luckily for Jenny, her other co-workers arrived at that very moment and saved her from further embarrassment.

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

In all, 5 players finished their books in the time line that was given to them. Dongwoo had already finished his note and was already browsing for another book when the other players started arriving. Jenny was putting Dongwoo's summary into the frame when she heard someone clear their throat behind her.

 

“You must have been the one that came up with the idea.” said Hoya.

 

He's sneaked up behind me twice already today. Jenny thought as she kept her back to him as she finished what she was doing. “It's no big deal. Just thought a personalized touch might be nice.”

 

Hoya took the few steps that separated him from Jenny and was now standing beside her.

 

“So...” he began.

 

Jenny turned to her right and found herself chest to face with Hoya. She took a step back and forced herself to keep calm as she looked at his face to listen to what he had to say.

 

“So...” he began again. “I need another book to read. And I figure since I liked the book you picked for me last time, you might be able to help me out again.”

 

“You know...You're supposed to be the one doing the picking, not me. That's kind of the point of this whole thing.” joked Jenny.

 

As Jenny smiled the smile that had been haunting him for weeks, Hoya could feel his heart beat just a little bit faster.

 

“What about anything from high school? Or college? Anything you read back then stand out?”

 

“I think there was this one book, it was fiction. It was written by a male writer. I can't quite remember his name.”

 

“The fiction section is huge. Can't you narrow it down?”

 

“Maybe browsing the shelves will help me...” Truthfully, Hoya was grasping at straws, trying to find any excuse to spend more time with Jenny. You're kind of pathetic, Hoya. he said to himself.

 

“Yeah, sure...Follow me.” said Jenny.

 

Hoya followed a few steps behind Jenny and couldn't help but look at her figure. She wasn't skinny, nor was she overweight, she was of average build. Shorter than him by a few inches, even with her heels on, he could tell by her calves that she worked out. This is so wrong... Hoya thought to himself but still continued ogling.

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

Dongwoo watched his friend's interactions with the woman named Jenny from afar and was almost certain that she was the one Hoya was talking about. The fact that he was currently checking her out helped him solidify his hunch. What if I were to go to where they were right now? Hoya's gonna kill me. Then again, it might be fun.

 

“Hoya!” he yelled. “Wait up!”

 


 

Hi everyone!  Sorry for the lack in updates.  The past week has been pretty crazy with school and some other personal things I also had to deal with.  I had actually started writing a few paragraphs of this chapter a few days ago, but decided to scrap it and start from scratch.  I don't think it's the best chapter I've written, but hopefully it'll get the ball rolling for the chapters to come.

I saw this week that I had over 300 views and I'm just so grateful for the interest you've shown this story thus far.  You guys are awesome! yes