22

Precious Gems

When she got home after her unexpected reunion with Hoya, Jenny did her nightly ritual and got ready to go to sleep.  As she ran over the day’s events in her head, it was then that she realized that she had forgotten something pretty important at the office.

 

So...I forgot my car at the office,” she texted Hoya.

 

Hahahaha!  You're not serious? Are you?” he replied.

 

“Dead serious.”

 

“How can you forget your car?”

 

“Since you picked me up after work today and dropped me off at home, I didn't even think about it...”

 

“I guess I should be flattered that your mind was so busy when you were with me that you forgot your CAR.”

 

“Shut up smartass.  Anyways, I don't even know why I texted you, it's not like anything can be done about it at this point.”

 

“How are you gonna get to work tomorrow?”

 

“I can taxi it or use public transit.  I haven't decided yet.”

 

“Okay.  Just don't forget to take your car keys with you tomorrow.”

 

“Texting you was a bad idea.  I'm gonna go to sleep now.”

 

“Ok.  Good night.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

The next morning, Jenny woke up an hour earlier than usual but still rushed to make it out of the door so that she would be able to get to work on time.  When she got out of her building and walked onto the busy street, she was surprised by what she saw.

 

“What are you doing here?” she asked as she examined him.  His hair looked messy, as if he had just gotten out of bed.  He had sunglasses on and sported a devastating smile that made her slightly go weak at the knees.

 

“Good morning!” he greeted as he handed her a cup of coffee.

 

“You still didn't answer my question,” she replied as she took a sip of what he offered and was again surprised to find that she was drinking her favorite drink.

 

“First of all, you're welcome.  Second of all, I'm here to take you to work.  I will be your personal chauffeur this morning.”

 

“You didn't have to,” she said, suddenly feeling guilty.

 

“I know, but I wanted to.  Besides, seeing as I'm partly at fault, it was the least I could do.”

 

She felt the heat rise up her cheeks and took another sip of her coffee and she didn't know how to respond. 

 

“Now that's all settled, you should probably get in the car.  We wouldn't want you to be late for work.”

 

“I don’t think there’s any chance of that happening.  I have at least an hour to kill before I have to go in.”

 

“Good.  That means we can stop somewhere for breakfast.  I’m starving.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

“You can stop the car here.”

 

“Why here?  Your office is on the other corner.”

 

“This is fine.  I can walk the rest of the way.”

 

Hoya brought the car to a stop.  “Are you embarrassed to be seen with me?” Hoya teased.

 

“No, that's not it at all,” she stammered.

 

He laughed.  “I was just pulling your leg.  Besides, I know I’m a catch.”

 

Jenny groaned and rolled her eyes at the last statement.  Hoya knew he was pushing it with what he said, but he couldn’t resist teasing her.  Besides, the reaction he got from her was adorable.

 

“With that, it’s time for me to go to work,” Jenny grabbed her coffee and her purse and opened the passenger door.  She then turned to Hoya.  “Thanks again for all of this,” she said sincerely.

 

“You can add that to the list of things that are awesome about me.”

 

Jenny rolled her eyes again.

 

“But really...” Hoya started again.  “It was nothing.  Don’t hesitate to ask me if you need help.  I’ll do my best to help you out.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Hey...before you leave, what are you up to tonight?”

 

Jenny, who had gotten a leg out of the car, turned back to face him. “Nothing special.  I might go for a run.”

 

“Would you mind if I joined you?”

 

“I don’t mind.  I’ll head home after work to change, then I can text you a meeting a place.”

 

“Sounds good.”

 

“Ok.  See you later.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

When Hoya got home, his roommate was in the kitchen cooking breakfast.

 

“What are you doing up so early on our day off?” Dongwoo asked, surprised to see his friend out of bed already.

 

“I picked up Jen and dropped her off at work.”

 

“I see...How is my favorite fan doing nowadays?  You taking good care of her?” he asked, wriggling his eyebrows.

 

“It’s not like that,” Hoya answered defensively.  “We’re talking things slow.  Getting to know each other and all that.”

 

“Yeah?  How’s that working for you?”

 

“It’s a change of pace.  It’s…OK.  I’m not going to lie.  I thought we’d be further along with some aspects by now, but I haven’t minded all that much ‘cause when we’re together, it’s great.”

 

“But…”

 

“But…” Hoya sighed, not knowing how to put in words exactly how he felt.  “There are moments when we’re talking where it feels like she blanks out, like she goes to this place in her mind I don’t have access to.  Or maybe I’m just over thinking this whole thing.”

 

Dongwoo let out a long whistle.  “My friend,” he said, putting a hand on Hoya’s shoulder.  “I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you’ve got it bad.”

 

“Trust me, I know.”

 

“You’re smarter than you look.”

 

“I could say the same thing about you.”

 

“Touché.”

 

“Got any wise words of advice for me?”

 

“I could give you cliché advice, but I don’t think that it will help matters much.  Besides, it seems like this is something that you figure out on your own.”

 

“I guess you’re right.”

 

“By the way, when are you seeing Jenny again?”

 

“Tonight.  Why?”

 

“Jihyo wants to throw a little get together next week.  You and Jenny are invited.”

 

“I’ll ask her, see what she thinks.”

 

“I hope she says yes.  Jihyo really wants to meet her.”

 

“I can’t make any promises.”

 

“Just pour on some extra charm, I’m sure that’ll do the trick.”

 

“I wish it were that easy...”

 

Dongwoo set a plate down in front of Hoya.  “Eat up.  A full stomach might help you think better.”

 

His friend looked so enthusiastic that Hoya didn’t have the heart to tell him that he already had eaten.  “That sounds like sound advice right there.”  His friend's face lit up as he took the first few bites.  He begged his stomach to hold it together, promising to make up for the overeating later tonight with a nice long run.