14

Precious Gems

Hoya checked his phone for seemed like the hundredth time that day. Nothing. It was halfway through the road trip and he still hadn't gotten anything from Jenny. He should have known not to expect anything after he hadn't heard from her after the first few days, but here he was, still waiting. He knew his focus should be on the game, especially with his team sliding in the standings, but all he could think of nowadays was Jenny. This road trip couldn't end soon enough.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

Jenny didn't know when to call Hoya. She had the team's schedule, but that didn't tell her when the team would be coming back from their trip. She found herself paying more attention to the sports channels nowadays; 1) to figure out the team's comings and goings 2) to keep tabs on Hoya. She could have made things easier for herself by just texting him or calling him, but she felt that she needed the whole week to really come to terms with what dating a sports star would mean, the changes it would bring about in her life and to those around her. Being the significant other of a sports star conjured up images in Jenny's head of glamourous, well-dressed, well-groomed women and found that she didn't fit that mold. Despite all her misgivings, she couldn't wait to see where this 'thing' with Hoya would lead to. In the little time she spent with him, she found that being with him was easy, laughter came naturally when she was with him. Despite what he did he was or maybe because of it, there was little pretence with Hoya.

 

The 6PM sports broadcast came on. The reporter was saying that the team should be back in town tomorrow night.

 

Tomorrow night it is, thought Jenny.

 

- - - - - - - - -

 

Hoya was glad to be home. Dongwoo was of course over at Jihyo's. Now that Jihyo's bar exam was done, he was expecting his best friend to be spending a lot more time with her. Hoya barely set foot into his apartment when his phone rang. He took it out of his back pocket, looked at the number and saw that it wasn't anyone he had in his contacts. Please let this be who I hope it is. He cleared his throat before pressing the “talk” button.

 

Hello?”

 

Hello?” said a familiar voice. “Hoya? Am I speaking to Hoya?”

 

A smile automatically spread across Hoya's lips. “Jenny?”

 

Yeah, hi!” Jenny paused, not knowing what to say next. “How are you?”

 

I'm good.”

 

So, I made good on my word. I called.”

 

You did. So I guess you've thought things over?”

 

I have.” Silence followed. Hoya held his breath. “When would dinner be good for you this week?”

 

How about Friday? I have the night off.”

 

Friday sounds good. Where should we go? Any suggestions?”

 

Hoya had thought about this in the week they spent apart. “How about we have dinner at my place? We can get to know one another without people staring at you.”

 

Jenny was surprised at Hoya's answer. One, she didn't know he could cook. Two, he remembered what she said and took it into account. “Sure.”

 

What should I cook?”

 

Surprise me. Should I bring anything when I come over?”

 

No, just show up.” Hoya finished by giving Jenny his address. “See you Friday!”

 

See you Friday.” Jenny said before hanging up.

 

- - - - - - - - -

 

Jenny wondered if it was a girl thing. She looked at her wardrobe and found that she had nothing to wear. Should I dress up? Dress down? Finally, she decided to just be comfortable. Jeans and a fun, feminine top it is.

 

Jenny parked her car about a block away from where Hoya lived. She passed a woman selling flowers and decided to buy a bouquet. Not too long after, she was in front of Hoya's door. She took a breath before knocking. A few seconds later, Hoya opened the door and she was ushered into the apartment.

 

Flowers. For you.” said Jenny with a smile as she handed him the bouquet she had in her hands. “Since you were cooking dinner, I only thought it appropriate that I should bring you flowers.”

 

Hoya let out a small chuckle. “Thank you for being so thoughtful. I'm not sure what to put these in though. Feel free to look around.” said Hoya as he rummaged around the kitchen before finally finding a suitable container.

 

Jenny looked at her surroundings. The space was open concept. Neater than she expected with 2 guys living together, though she supposed that Hoya might have cleaned the place up a bit before her arrival. Decor was sparse, the vibe definitely masculine. The living room was occupied mostly by a giant sofa and a large screen TV. There were a few awards on the shelves, a few pictures here and there. The living room had two hallways leading from it. Jenny supposed that they lead to the bedrooms. Jenny turned to look at Hoya who was working in the kitchen, He seemed to fit nicely in this space. She noticed earlier that he was barefoot, he was wearing jeans and a simple t-shirt. Glad I didn't overdo it.

 

What do you think of the place?” asked Hoya.

 

It's nice, though I kinda assumed that it would be just from seeing the lobby.” Jenny commented. She edged closer to where Hoya was standing and took a peek at what he was cooking.

 

I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy so I hope you don't mind steak.”

 

I'm vegetarian.” Jenny replied seriously. Hoya stopped what he was doing and looked at Jenny. Then, she started laughing. “I'm just joking. Steak is OK by me.”

 

You almost gave me a heart attack.”

 

Sorry. It was too easy.” apologized Jenny.

 

Promise you won't do that again.”

 

Promise.”

 

Dinner should be ready soon. Care to set the table?”


“Sure.” Hoya pointed to where the dishes, glassware and cutlery were located and Jenny set the table. She filled their glasses with water, took the flowers she had brought and put it in the middle. Hoya set the steaks and the side dishes down on the table. He pulled out Jenny's chair for her and invited her to take a seat before taking a seat himself.

 

Hoya raised his glass. Jenny followed suit. “To getting to know each other.”

 

To getting to know each other.” Jenny echoed.

 


 

You guys!  I can't believe I'm over 500 views! Thanks again for the love and support!  *virtual bear hugs too all of you*

 

I'm sorry this chapter took so long.  The first paragraph was actually written days ago, I just didn't know how to go from there.  That, and my mind is already several chapters away...