8

Precious Gems

A few weeks had passed since the season opener and the United were currently second in their division. They won a few close games and lost a few close ones as well. The grind of the season was starting to get to the players and a change of scenery was welcome.

 

“Coach! What am I supposed to recommend? I haven't read a book in years.” said Woohyun. That earned him a few jeers from his peers.

 

“That's your problem.” replied their coach. That earned a few laughs and some applause.

 

Dongwoo nudged Hoya and asked him if he had thought about what he was going to say. Hoya honestly had almost forgotten about this whole thing. Once the season started, it was hard for him to get out of “game mode”.

 

“I honestly don't know what to say either. I'm not much of a reader.” said Hoya.

 

Soon after, the bus pulled in to the parking lot of the bookstore “United' were working with and the players got off one by one.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

“They're here.” Jenny's co-worker informed her. Jenny could feel the buzz grow among her co-workers and panic started to slowly settle into her stomach. “It's been a few weeks. It was dark, crowded and they had a few drinks. Surely, they don't remember me.” she thought to herself. She still couldn't believe her boss picked her to be one of the managers for this project. She relished the challenge and was eager repay her boss' faith in her by doing the best she possibly could, but she also was apprehensive knowing who she would be working with. She gathered her things for the presentation and left her desk. “Here goes nothing...” she said to herself.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

Jenny was relieved that her boss took the lead during the presentation. She thought she'd be able to get through the meeting without setting foot in front of the room when her boss called up the project managers to the front of the room to introduce themselves. She slowly made her way to the front with her 4 other co-workers. When it came time for her to introduce herself, she looked for a flicker of recognition in 3 people's faces and when it never came, she was able to relax.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

The players looked visibly relieved when they were informed that their project would be starting off would book readings and that they'd have another month to pick and read a book that they'd then be able to recommend.

 

“If you'd like to browse our selection of books, I'm sure our project managers would be able to help you find one to suit your interests.” said Jenny's boss, Daeho.

 

Jenny's co-worker, Aiden, led the way and one by one, the players got up and followed him.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

“I know exactly what I'm going to pick.” said Sungyeol as he headed over to the comic section.


“Jihyo has been talking about a book she read recently. I think I'll go check it out.” said Dongwoo to Hoya.

 

Hoya didn't have any idea what to choose and started browsing the different aisles. He then spotted one of the project managers in front of him and decided to ask for advice.

 

Jenny took a quick glance behind her to see if someone was calling her and saw Hoya approaching her.

 

“Hi. You're one of the project managers, right?” asked Hoya.

 

Jenny managed to eke out a nod. Hoya continued: “I'm going to be honest with you. I haven't read a book in a while and I honestly have no idea where to start.”

 

Jenny smiled and asked: “Well...What do you like? That might help us narrow things down.”

 

“I like soccer, obviously.” replied Hoya. Jenny laughed. “Yeah, that's a given. What else?”

 

Hoya stopped to think and Jenny couldn't help but think to herself that Hoya looked cute when he was concentrating on something. It was a different than the intense stare that she was used to when he was out on the field. She then mentally slapped herself and reminded herself that this was a job and for the next few months at least, she would have to get used to being around handsome, well-built, good-smelling...Hoya interrupted her thoughts when he declared that he also liked hip-hop music. Jenny mentally slapped herself another time and led Hoya to the biography section. She quickly looked through the shelves before she found the book she was looking for.

 

“I think this might be good. It's not too heavy so lugging it around during away games shouldn't be much of a problem.”

 

Hoya looked at the book Jenny handed him and approved of her choice. “Thanks...I'm sorry, what was your name again?” Hoya asked slightly embarrassed.

 

“It's Jenny.”

 

“Jenny.” Hoya repeated. “I'm Hoya.” said Hoya as he stuck out his hand for a handshake. “Yeah, I know.” Jenny said with a laugh as she shook his hand.

 

“Are you a fan?” asked Hoya.

 

“I am.” Jenny admitted.

 

“Care to share who it might be?” inquired Hoya.

 

Jenny shook her head no. “Seeing as I have to work with the whole team, it might be better if I don't reveal who it is.”

 

What am I doing? Am I flirting? STOP IT!” Jenny thought to herself. She cleared and asked: “Do you need help with anything else?”

 

“I think this is good for now. Thanks again Jenny.”

 

“No problem.” said Jenny. “If you don't mind, I should probably go around and see if anyone else needs help.”

 

Hoya didn't know what came over him, but he suddenly didn't want Jenny with the pretty smile and cute laugh to go. He didn't have a good reason to ask her to stay so he just replied: “Go ahead.”

 

“I hope you enjoy the book!” Jenny said as she started walking away.

 

“There you are!” said Dongwoo, snapping Hoya out of his reverie. “Find anything interesting?” he asked,

 

“I did.” Hoya replied with a smile.

 


 

Honestly was almost half asleep when I was writing this chapter, but I just wanted to get this on paper before I went to bed and forgot what I wanted to write.