Chapter 8

Let It Go

"Your friend isn't around"

 

After getting confirmation from the security officer that Hae Yeon wasn't in the washroom,
Young Saeng wasted no time and began checking on the nearby stores.

It wasn't long before he spotted a familiar figure stepping out of a store and he ran towards her,
pulling her into his embrace as soon as he got to her.

 

"Hae Yeon ah!"

"Y-Young Saeng-ssi?"

 

Young Saeng's POV
I thought they had gotten you…
I should have been more careful, I'm sorry for getting you into this mess…

 

Hae Yeon stood frozen on the spot as Young Saeng hugged her, wondering what had caused him to be
in such a panic. Young Saeng let go of her upon realizing the awkward position they were in, and began
apologizing immediately as he saw the confusion on her face.

 

"I'm sorry"

"Did something happen?"

 

Hae Yeon's POV
He looks really upset. I wonder what happened…
I shouldn't have left without informing him...

 

"Please don't wander off alone without telling me"

"Sorry. I saw that you were busy on the phone, so I went to get you these…"

 

Young Saeng took hold of the bag Hae Yeon handed to him and found several bottles inside.

 

"This is for your cough. And this… multivitamins for you to take in the morning. You need to watch your health more"

"…"

"Are you… still upset? Sorry I shouldn't have - "

"No, thanks for these. I'll take them regularly"

 

Young Saeng's POV
All the care you've been showering on me ever since we met… yet I'm doing nothing but putting you in such danger…
What am I supposed to do with you? 

 

---

 

"I see you've come alone"

 

A rugged looking middle-aged man spoke as Young Saeng made his way into a smoke-filled room
in an abandoned building on the outskirts of Seoul. 

He was given a thorough pat-down to ensure he hadn’t brought any weapons along before being
led towards a seat in front of their boss, with two men standing guard beside him.

 

“It’s been a while. You seem to be doing well”

“You’re still snooping around our business. I believe my men had given you enough warning the other time”

“You know that’s just what I do for a living”

“How about you take these and start living a new life with your girl instead?”

 

A suitcase full of notes was thrown on the desk in front of him, and Young Saeng smirked upon realising
what Viper was up to.

He had worked hard to become the detective he was today ever since the unjust death of his father,
with the hopes of putting the culprit behind bars one day. 

There was no way he was going to give up in his pursuit for justice despite all the danger involved.

 

“Thanks for your concern, but I have no intention to dirty my hands with these.
I’d like to take my leave if there’s nothing else”

 

Two pairs of hands landed on his shoulders as soon as he attempted to stand up, and he was forced back
onto the seat immediately. Knowing that there was no way he was going to get out of this place without a fight,
he decided to move ahead with his plan as he noticed the time on the wall clock.

 

“Or how about we let you in on the minor operations, but in return you leave the major ones alone?
I’m sure it’ll still help in your progress if that’s what you want”

“I’m afraid there’s no room for negotiation”

"Is this how you want to play?"

"All people are equal in the eyes of the law"

 

A glass bottle was swung towards his head within seconds and Young Saeng raised his hand
in an attempt to block the blow, breaking the glass in the process. 

Ignoring the piercing pain on his hand, he swiftly dislodged a pole from one of the men and
eventually managed to fight his way out after much difficulty. 

He was relieved to see Hyung Jun’s car from a distance after exiting the building and sprinted towards it.

 

“Young Saeng hyung!”

“Drive off! Quick!”

 

---

 

“Oww… can you please be gentler?”

 

Young Saeng groaned as Hyung Jun removed several glass fragments from his hand and disinfected his wound. 

Despite his complaint, he was thankful that his friend was always ready to help in situations like this.

 

“I’m sorry I’m not as skilled as your doctor girl in this.
Why won’t you go to her place? Your hand seems pretty bad… ”

“I can’t. They know about her already”

“What?!”

“Hyung Jun ah, can you help to send her home from now?”

“Have you been doing that during your suspension? Which was why they found out about her?”

“I couldn’t leave her alone. Not when she’s feeling so traumatized over that incident”

“Boss warned you to lie low. It’s so unlike you to make such a mistake… are you for real?”

 

There was nothing else he could say in response.

It was true it was something that he shouldn't have overlooked;
especially when he had already been attacked by the gang the other time.

But he just couldn't bring himself to leave her side, knowing that she was still fearful
of her surroundings despite putting on a brave front.

 

“Please? At least for the next few days? I’ll continue watching her from a distance then…”

 

......................................................................................................................................................................

Would you prefer if YS just let her know about his feelings or keep it from her?
Feel free to share any thoughts or suggestions!

Love,
Joelle