Chapter 23

Let It Go

"Looks like you're enjoying your time off"

 

Kyu Jong commented after he saw some travel books spread on the sofa while Young Saeng prepared
some tea and snacks. 

Two weeks after getting injured, Young Saeng was finally discharged and confined to home rest for a couple
of weeks more. Which was the reason why Kyu Jong had dropped by to keep his friend company while
Hae Yeon was out at work.

 

"It's not too bad to take a break once in a while"
 

With Viper out of their lives for good, Young Saeng felt much more at ease these days.
It was a load lifted off his mind as he no longer needed to fear for Hae Yeon's safety.

 

"You could have at least done it in a better way"

 

Kyu Jong said disapprovingly as he was reminded of his cousin's tearful face over the few days
when his best friend was unconscious.

 

"I should have introduced Hyun Joong to her earlier"

"Yah! What are you talking about? I promised her I'd quit"

 

Young Saeng grumbled while he put away the books and sat down beside Kyu Jong.
He had been thinking seriously about his future together with Hae Yeon ever since his near brush with death.
He couldn't imagine a life without the woman whom he had grown to depend on and love so deeply.

She could have told him off when he finally regained consciousness, yet she never did so but instead showered
him with care. When she finally spoke up with her true feelings, she also did so carefully with him in mind.
Everything she did was for his best interests.

 

Flashback

"I thought I was losing you… your heart was close to stopping several times"

"I was afraid I'll never see you again. How am I ever going to make up to you for this?"

"Can you… please quit being a detective? You almost lost your life this time..."

---

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said so much"

"Don't worry about it, I know you're just concerned

End of Flashback

 

"Kyu Jong ah, she's the one I want to marry"

"Are you asking me for her hand?"

"I'll quit as soon as I'm done with my dad's case and prepare to take over the company from Harabeoji"

 

Kyu Jong raised an eyebrow upon hearing Young Saeng, unable to believe what he was hearing.

For years his friend had been avoiding his only remaining relative, but he was now willing to return to
where he belonged.

He had hated his grandfather for not pursuing the case despite having the resources to, which was the
reason why he had ended up working towards becoming a detective.

 

"You never wanted to do so, are you sure about it?"

"It'll be the best for everyone"

"The decision is yours to make. But be sure to quit being a detective or I'll be the first to disapprove even if her parents agree"

 

---

 

"Saengie ah, I'm home"

 

Hae Yeon called out to Young Saeng upon letting herself into his apartment where she had been
living at since his discharge. Seeing that he was not in the living room, she proceeded to his bedroom,
only to be caught by surprise from the back after she entered.

 

"Omo! Oppa! I could have hit you accidentally!"

"It's ok, gives me more reason to ask for compensation"

"Petty otter. Let go of me now will you? I need to wash up"

"Do you need help? How about a massage?"

"I'm going back to my place"

"Alright I know I know… I'll heat up our dinner"

 

Young Saeng let go of Hae Yeon immediately and left to the kitchen, leaving a smile on her face as he did so.
For the past week that she had been here at his place, it felt as though they were newly-weds.

 

"What were you thinking about?!"

 

Hae Yeon fanned her flushed face and made her way into the bathroom.

Dinner was ready and set on the dining table when she was done and she took a seat opposite Young Saeng.
He looked like he was in a good mood as he was smiling away.

 

"Seems like you had a good day, what have you been doing at home?"

"Checking out some girls on this new website that Hyung Jun introduced to me"

"I see. Arasso. I'll send a text to Jae Jun-ssi to tell him I'm accompanying him to the piano recital"

"Yah… you know I'm kidding! I even prepared your favorite dish…"

 

Young Saeng began sulking at her comment, to which Hae Yeon couldn't help but laugh at
how child-like he could be at times.

 

"You were the one who started it first"

"Fine… Can you take some time off work at the end of my sick leave?"

"Why? I'll need to check with Hyun Joong oppa"

"Actually, I've already done so. I took a few more days off, let's go for a holiday"

"Did he say that you're fit enough to do so?"

"Yup, and I'll also have my personal doctor with me anyway"

"…"

"Let's go, ok?"

 

He reached out for something on the chair beside and placed it on the table.
It was a pair of air tickets to Japan, and Hae Yeon knew instantly that he had put the place
she wanted to visit on the itinerary.

 

"Thank you, Oppa"

 

---

 

Young Saeng stood outside the gates of what used to be his home, taking care to avoid the surveillance
cameras that scanned the area.

Just as he had expected, the place hadn't changed over the years.
The maple trees that lined the street were beginning to turn crimson.
His mother's favorite flowers were beginning to wither with the changing season.
His heart filled with sorrow as he reminisced the times he spent with his once complete family.

He was 16 when he lost his parents, and it has been 8 years since he left home after the huge fight with his grandfather.
He couldn't say that he never regretted that decision.
There were times when he felt so tired and helpless that he wondered if he should just return home.

 

Flashback

"But Oppa, is it really worth it?"

"Someone has to do it. Those people shouldn't be getting off just like this"

"But your parents wouldn't have approved of you putting yourself in so much
danger too, they'd want you to be happy too"

End of Flashback

 

He knew that nothing would bring his parents back and it'll hurt even more dig up the past that his grandfather
had chosen to put behind. Even though it took some time, he now had someone and a reason to live for.

 

"Young Saeng ah, is that you?"

 

Young Saeng froze upon hearing the familiar voice calling out to him.

He turned around and found himself standing face to face with his grandfather who had gotten off the car.

 

"Harabeoji…"

"You've lost a lot of weight. It must have been a tough recovery…"

"..."

 

He found himself at a loss for words as he looked at the worried old man in front of him.

He wasn't expecting to bump into his grandfather at this hour, and there was so much he wanted to say
he didn't know where to start.

 

"Young Saeng ah, come in and have some tea with Harabeoji…"

 

.........................................................................................................................................................................

i'm back! sorry for the wait! took a little longer than expected cos i was really tied down by work and
almost brain dead by the time i'm home >.< hope you've all been well! jungmin oppa's going to the army
soon too... but saengie's coming back! such a mixture of feelings! though it's not gonna happen anytime
soon i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a reunion once they're done with military service <3