Chapter 14

Let It Go

"Pabo! What was I doing?"

 

Hae Yeon burst into tears the moment she got onto the rooftop of her apartment.

 

Perhaps it was due to the effect of the alcohol, she couldn't believe she actually found the courage to have
asked Young Saeng about what had been bothering her.

It was a mind grueling ride back home after that, having to struggle to remain composed after hearing his response.

 

Flashback

"Is there… some misunderstanding between us?"

"What misunderstanding?"

"You seem… different"

"Sorry, you may have had a misconception of how I really am… this is the real me"

-

"The you who brought me out?"

"I promised to show you around"

"The you who saved me and kept me company until I got better?"

"It was out of responsibility as an officer"

"The you who was worried about me?"

"It's only natural to be worried about a friend, you're like a little sister"

End of Flashback

 

Hae Yeon's POV
How silly can you get?
He only cared about you as a little sister, yet you mistook it for something else...

 

"Get a grip on yourself, Hae Yeon ah. It's going to be ok"

 

---

 

"It was for the better, wasn't it?"

 

Young Saeng mumbled to himself as he finally returned to his car and drove off. 

He had spent several minutes staring into space after Hae Yeon left;
she had literally run away from him to be exact, after he offered to send her up.

 

"Little sister… hah"

 

He was suddenly brought back to his senses when his phone rang and he frowned upon seeing an unknown number.

 

"I see you've been working hard. Do you know how much that cost me?"

 

Hearing the familiar voice over the phone once again, he felt a sense of uneasiness over what he was going to hear.
His team had recently cracked another major trafficking case involving Viper, and it was only natural that he would be angered.

 

"Viper, what do you want?"

"You've kept your girl really well protected"

"Which girl?"

"Think you can fool me? I warned you to stay out of our business"

"That's just part of my job. What is it that you have against me? Why do you keep coming after me?"

 

As a detective who was just dedicated to his job, Young Saeng had dealt with cases which were far more complex
than this. But he had no idea why was this man always after him in particular.

 

"Took you long enough to bother finding out… why? Have you forgotten about the casualties that night?"

"3 men and 1 woman. It could have been prevented if your men didn't start firing"

"That was my woman! If it weren't for you barging in she wouldn't have died! And because you guys
denied bail and put me behind bars I couldn't even see my woman for the last time!"

"…"

 

Their conversations never went well and he never got to find out the reason until now, and everything seemed
to finally make some sense. It'd only be natural for anyone to feel that way after losing someone dear.

 

"Why aren't you saying anything?"

"It's the first I've heard about it. I'm very sorry about what happened"

"It's a little too late for this. I wonder if the girl likes the surprise waiting for her"

"I said to keep her out of this!"

 

Young Saeng felt the blood drain from his face upon hearing those words and made an immediate
detour back to where he came from.

 

"I've been nice enough to you"

"I won't let you off!"

"Look forward to seeing you again"

 

Young Saeng's POV
I should have sent her up… Please let her be fine!

 

--- 

 

After allowing herself to relieve her throbbing heart out in the rooftop, Hae Yeon wearily made her way back to her apartment.

Something felt amiss as she opened the door which was unlocked for some reason, and she grabbed an umbrella from
the hallway as she walked into the living room.

Much to her horror, the living room was in a mess with overturned furniture. And her wall was also vandalized with some writings.

 

"You'll pay for everything, Heo Young Saeng"

 

Hae Yeon's POV
Is he in some sort of trouble?
But why are they doing this to my place? 

 

"Ahhhhhhh!!!"

 

---

 

Young Saeng had barely stepped out of the lift when he heard a scream and he made a dash towards Hae Yeon's unit. 
She was standing in the living room with both hands covering in shock, and he clenched his fist as he saw
the state her home was in.

 

"Hae Yeon ah…"

"C-cook-iee..."

"Cookie?"

 

His gaze followed the direction her hand was pointing towards and to his horror, Cookie was lying lifeless under a broken chair.

Just as he was about to survey through the damage, Hae Yeon went limp suddenly, and Young Saeng
managed to catch her in his arms before she fell.

 

"Sorry I got you into this mess. Everything's gonna be alright, I'm here now"

 

Young Saeng's POV
Can't believe they'd resort to something this low. Was it even necessary to kill an innocent dog?!

 

"A-are you ok? What do these people want from you?"

"What? Yah… this is not the time to be worrying about me!"

"I… "

 

Unable to take the shock any more, Hae Yeon burst into tears as Young Saeng hugged her.
As he patted her gently on the back, Young Saeng made up his mind to go all out to get back at the people behind it.

 

"Don't worry, I won't leave you alone any more"

 

......................................................................................................................................................................

it's been a while, hope you've all been fine :D