Your mom

MoonBang

* Moon *

Cooking made me feel better. I started to cook when I was around six or seven. For a long time, I thought my mom actually cared about me because she would always remind me to be cautious with burning oil and fire.

It's only years after I realized something : moms usually don't let their little girl get in the kitchen, let alone get closer to a fire. Yet my mom let me. She learned me how to do laundry, to clean the house, to deal with broken things. I still remember coming back from home at nine years oldand cook easy things like eggs and ramen.

Then, she  stopped to do grocery shopping. I had to go myself get food. I was only nine. Then I was still lucky as she still worked a bit and it was enough to afford cheap food.

Then, it became more complicated. She was using all the money to get . Ihad to hide money in my room so we'll had food. It was a tough situation, with drugs, it's never over, you're always up for more. You always have to get more and more to be satisfied.

I kept silent about it. What could the school do ?

I remember well how I spend time to erase the alcohol smell in the house. So it won't get on my uniform and my teachers won't be suspicious. I remember so well the little part time jobs I took to be able to afford food and basic things, lying on my age to be a cashier and such.

When I got a offer to be a model I was so afraid it would have been a scam and I would have end up in magazine. I've heard this story too many times. Yet the person approaching me was sincere about making me into a model. I was tall young and pretty. I fitted well. This was how I started to earn more money, modeling for magazines and brands.

From then, I always had a stable wage each month and spent it for my mom. I  rarely bought things for myself.

I would always comee back to the flat I offered her at least once a week, finding a spot in my busy schedule to cook with the finest food I could buy. Expensive fish. Delicious meat. Vegetables. All the things we couldn't afford for so long.

I missed those nights. When my mom would be interested a little bit in me, asking me questions and such. After I marry, she distanced herself. She begged me to marry YongGuk and until this day, only had eyes for him or his father.

Now she's gone. She was a bad mother. But was my mother.  Soon, I remembered that she was gone and i'll probably never see her again. I sighed and wiped away a few tears.

A hand soothened my back and I stiffened. « I'm sorry for what I said, you must really miss her. »

I looked at my mother in law with surprised eyes, and became all red that she saw me crying. I nodded and looked away. She handed me a tissue and I grabbed it, wanting to wipe my nose and eyes.

She chuckled. « I think that she's ungrateful, you gave her so much of your years.  »

I blinked hearing that and realized YongGuk might have revealed a few things about me to his mother. I could have been angry yet I was just a little bit embarrassed. I hided it so many years. Now the truth was out. My mom was a bad mom. I don't know why this realization only came now.

« I'm sorry that she ruined your marriage. » I whispered, bowing respectfully.

She smiled sadly. « I think that this was bond to happen. Now, or in a few months or even when they met up. I'll feel a bit lonely now. »

« Me too. » I said before getting back to cooking. She looked at me and chuckled suddenly.

« You're really not talkative. Like my son. You says the essential and that's it. »

*

 

*Bang*

 

Moon ate with us, caring for my mother as she was for her mother. She seemed fine. The two women seemed fine. They smiled to each others before eating. I was confused by the shift in their relationship.

« Now what do you plan to do ? Divorce ? » My mom said.

We were surprised by the question. With the emotions, we didn't think of this at all. Now our wedding was meaningless. I looked at Moon, she seemed awkward.

« We honestly didn't think of it yet. » I said, staying elusive.

« Okay. » My mom said, slight deceived. « Just know that Hyuna seems to be a real nice woman. She fits you well. »

I blushed. « MOM »

She laughed and ignored me to speak with Moon. At least, they were not crying anymore.

*

My mom stayed an entire week with us. I found a pretty little flat not far from mine. She was absolutely delighted with it and started right away to move her things. She seemed better. I think that deep inside she knew it would have happen.She found back her smile and what surprised me the most is that she cherished Moon Hyuna. Something she never did before. The second day, she asked Moon to go shopping with her. They came back, with tons of things.

«I bought Moon a few things. She's so pretty and tall ; so it's easy to find pretty clothes for her. I couldn't resist. »

I looked at Moon blush and bow politely at my mom to thank her. My mom giggled and poked her arm. « She's such a cutie. I always wanted a daughter so I could buy clothes for me, it's a little bit like playing doll. »

Moon smiled and my mom took her hand, leading her in her room. She was trying again the clothes my mom bought for her.

« Oh so pretty. »

I opened wider the door and looked at Moon try on a white fitted dress with little heels. She looked stunning, but the thing that made me happier is that she looked happy. I guess that growing up taking care of her Mom, she doesn't really receive love. And here my Mom arrived, showering her with love. I'm sure it felt weird for her, yet appreciable. She wouldn't be looking at my mom the way she is right now.

« Gukkie, go away, she's going to change herself, you ert !!! Close the door. » My mom said, throwing a pillow at me. I picked it up from the floor and put it back on the bed.

« Then what about you mom ? »

She punched my arm.« Aishh, I'm a woman, I can stay here. »

I nodded and went away on the order of my mom, closing the door behind me. They came back soon and took care of the grocery bags put on the table.

I sat on the couch, faking to watch TV. These days, nothing but the mood of those two mattered for me. I missed a few days at work, going out when practice started. But my friends and company understood, I had explained my situation to them anyways.

Moon showed to my Mom how to take care of the vegetables. Correcting her hands when she was doing mistakes and cheering her up. It was heartwarming to see. It's been a week my Mom was learning to cook and bake with Moon. And it's been a week I eat delicious home-made food at every meal, plus a dessert...

« So after you cut all the veggie, you take care of the meal. » Moon explained to my mom. The older woman was listenning carefully to what she was saying, even taking notes. Mom never cooked, my Dad took care of her like a princess. He would either cook, order or on fancy days, go to restaurants. I looked at them cooking together feeling that change was good. Mom seemed less bitter, and Moon seemed more free.

I was happy about it. Today I actually told them, I was going to work, yet I went to say goodbye to my dad and her mom. They gave me an address that I told the taxi. I ended up in front of an hotel. I frowned. I sighed and called my dad.

They told me to wait for them in a café next to the hotel. I waited more than thirty minutes before seeing them walking in the street.They looked happy, fresh and holding hands, Moon mother was staring at my dad. They entered the café and sat in front of me.

« YongGuk, it's good to see you. » My dad told me, patting my shoulder. I looked at the man with new eyes. He looked happier. I was really his replica; I herited his gummy grin, wel defined eyes, plump lips and the height too. I looked nothing like my Mom. People will often joke saying that a DNA test wasn't necessary for my dad and me. I used to admir him a lot. But now I didn't know how I felt towards him. Did I feel sad he is going ? Maybe. Maybe not.

I smiled and looked at her mom. If I was the perfect replica of my dad, I realized how Moon and her mother looked alike. Yet what I saw made me sad, an ex-drug addict and alcoholic. Moon was surely right, her mom must have been a gorgeous woman in her prime days. She was still pretty yet you could see how she suffered on her face. « Where is Moon ? In the toilets ? »

Seeing her eyes scanning around, I sighed and shook my head. « She must be coming then. »

« No. I didn't tell her. Dad you contacted me. Yet Moon didn't receive anything. »

The woman in front of me widened her eyes. She looked at my dad, searching comfort in his eyes. « But I'm going tonight and I want to see her. »

« No.. You hurted her enough. She gave you twenty five years of her life, now it's over. » I said harshly. How can someone be that self-centered ? Moon needs to live her own life. Not taking care of a mom like this.

She nodded slowly and sobbed in my dad arms. He gave me a black glare. « You made her cry. »

I scoffed. How many times Moon cried because of her mom ? How many nights did she empty bottles of alcohol ? I suddenly resented this person that lets her daughter grow up as an adult way too soon. That let her daughter grow up without any love. That let her daughter learn about cooking as soon as possible so she could drug herself without having to worry about her hungry daughter. The one that received love and money from Moon and rejected her for a man. I looked at this person wipe her tears. She looked sad yet resignated.

I know Moon would hate me for talking like that to her mom. Moon always took care to talk to her as if she was talking to a baby.

So I tried to calm myself. « Where are you going ? » I asked politely.

« Sweety, tell him. » He said to her. She grinned. « Song Jun let me choose the destination. We're going to New Zealand. It seems so green and pure. Nothing like South Korea. The weather is warmer, it's going to be so nice. »

I nodded. « Yeah it's great. »

« We already bought the house. It's cosy, and we have a room for both of you. You can came to visit whenever, really. You won't forget to tell that to Moon. »

I sighed and nodded. « Sure. » She laughed and my dad ran his fingers in her hair. I let them lead the conversation, oonly nodding to whatever they were saying. Until her mom grabbed my hand. « How is she doing ? »

My dad frowned and lost his smile. « Why do you still care about her ? Remember how mean she was to you ? »

She looked confused for a moment and shook her head. « I just wanted to know. »

I sighed. My dad convinced her that her daughter was evil. I couldn't believe it. My dad. The one that learned me my first words. That was telling about spreading love and kindness around me. To love people and always try to understand them. Here he was, stuck in his version of the story. I shook my head and cleared my throat. Mabe now I realized that the person sat in front of me looked nothing like the dad I grew up with. I felt a sting at  this realization.

« She is heartbroken. But she's doing better day by day, because Mom is spending all her time with her. So her mood is not that bad. »

« Mom ? You mean my wife ? »

The woman he was holding the hand of, removed her hand and cleared . He realized his mistake and gave her an apologetic look. « I'm divorcing soon, you know it. »

I looked at them bickering and sighed, putting my hands on the table. « Well, I'm very busy. So good luck on your new life in New Zealand. You disturbed so many lifes to be together, so make it worth it that you're finally together, get it ? »

They nodded and I grinned. « Well, I have to leave now. »

Moon mother stopped me by grabbing my hand. "Sit there. I have something for my daughter. This is why I delayed so much our departure."

She gave me a file. "I did DNA tests and such so Moon can find her father. She doesn't have to meet him. But I never wanted to tell her who it was. I'm not dumb. I know she doesn't want to see me anymore. So before I leave, I just wanted to giver her the option. She has the right to know.On his part, he's quite ready to meet her."

I nodded. "Okay." She squeezed my hand and I finally left. I looked at the file in my hands and headed to the studio.

I left for the studios and stayed the whole day, trying to reach home around dinner time so I could see those two interacting.I hided the file in my room, waiting for the good moment to give it to Moon. As I was closing my drawer, my phone ringed and as I grabbed it, I looked at the little picture of Hyuna. She was calling me.

I was considering taking the call and sighed.

"YongGuk what are you doing ? The soup will be cold, hurry up !!" I heard my mom shout. I missed the call and finally threw my phone on my bed, after putting it on silence mode.

It wasn't the first time this week I did that, you know. Ignoring my girlfriend messages and calls.

 


Sort of filler chapter ? Well, it's coming to be restless soon so enjoy this quiet chapter ~~