Chapter 9

Listen to my heart

Loud sirens filled your ears.

Be careful!

Someone screamed. But..

It was midnight and you were walking around the area and there was nobody around. Nobody at all.

Stop! Hey!

You had no idea who is screaming! All you knew was that those screams haven’t stopped all day long.

 

Someone stop him!

Sirens.

 

As much as you tried to shake those sounds off, you couldn’t. The deadly silence of the area increased the intensity of the screams. 

 

This was the day following the day Taekwoon kicked you out of his room and told you not to come back again.Of course you didn’t. The scary stare he gave you, his tone and his grip on your wrist.. those things told you not to risk going back…not now.

 

IF ONLY THOSE SIRENS WOULD STOP!

 

 

The following day, when the sirens almost stopped and the screams became faint, you decided to go to the café. In your angelic form of course. You were worried about Taekwoon. How would he deal with what happened? You had to see if he was ok.

 

To your surprise, he was! He was chatting with his sisters, smiling to customers and even playing with a little girl who came with her parents to the café.

It broke your heart! Not because he was happy. His happiness was a priority to you, always was. But, it broke your heart that he didn’t show any sadness over what happened. It’s like by kicking you out of his life, he lifted a burden off his chest.

 

Half an hour later, he excused himself and went up to his room, so you followed. You saw him enter his room, lock the door, and take his diary out.

Dear diary.. I don’t know how to say this but..

He paused for a second and then continued:

I really miss [Y/N]…

Your heart skipped a beat.

I try to look happy for the sake of my family. I don’t want them to see me as a weak person. Just because my relationships don’t work doesn’t mean they have to suffer with me..

 

You were feeling terribly guilty. Wasn’t it enough for him to go through the harsh breakup with Soyeon? Did you really have to come to his life like this and ruin things for him all over again?

 

I feel worthless. Nobody likes me. Soyeon was right. I am pathetic.

 

You found yourself saying: You’re not.

He turned around when he felt a soft breeze tickle his neck. He can’t hear you, but he can feel you. Your mother has mentioned it before, once you are touched by a human, a unique bond between the two of you is created.

 

You were too eager to test it once you saw that it somehow worked. You whispered in his ear and saw him turn around again to see nothing.

You didn’t want to freak him out so you stopped.

 

His phone started ringing and he picked it up when he saw Wonshik’s name on the screen:

- Hi! No. Now? Ok, I’m coming.

Where is he going now? Is he going to play football with Wonshik? You had to know so again, you simply followed him.

 

He met Wonshik at the park where they usually play.

SIRENS.

Why are they back now?

STOP!

You looked around but everything was so peaceful.

- I need to pick up my sister first. I’ll send her home and then we can hang out or do whatever you want. Is that ok? Wonshik said.

Taekwoon nodded. You weren’t sure if he told Wonshik about you, but Wonshik’s next question answered your wonderings:

- How is your girl? What was her name again?

- …

- Is everything ok?

- No. We broke up.

- What? Why?! I thought you said you liked each other. What happened?

- She was lying to me the whole time. Every detail she told me about herself was a lie.

- Did you ask her why? She probably had her reasons.

- Of course I didn’t. What reasons would she have to lie to me?

Wonshik shook his shoulders: I don’t know. Maybe it’s not totally a lie, maybe she was going to confess it all once she felt comfortable doing so. You should have asked her.

They were silent for a second.

- But… how did you know?

- I followed her.

- You did what?

- She.. she felt sick and went home and I wanted to check if she was fine… but her address wasn’t correct and when I confronted her she didn’t deny it.

- But you still gave her no chance to answer, did you?

- No…

- You should go ask her. Give her a chance to defend herself.

- I don’t know where to find her.

- Didn’t you say she usually comes to the café?

- She won’t anymore.

- Why? What did you do?

- I.. I kicked her out..

Wonshik stopped walking and looked at Taekwoon is shock.

- You kicked her out? In front of your family?

- No. We were in my room and I told her I don’t want to see her anymore.

- I never knew you were so harsh! I can’t believe the gentle Taekwoon kicked a girl out of his room. Man, you should really go find her. At least listen to her and if you don’t like what she says then break up with her like a man.

Taekwoon’s head dropped and he sighed: I probably should.

 

Sirens!

But this time they were real! You saw fire trucks and ambulances pass by you and the boys.

- What is it? Wonshik asked.

- I don’t know. Taekwoon answered as they both started running toward the smoke coming from behind the buildings.

 

They arrived at the shopping mall to see half of it being eaten by flames. People gathered and firemen went inside to try to find survivors.

- My sister is inside! Wonshik yelled.   

Taekwoon held his arm to stop him from entering the building: Call her. Maybe she left.

He tried to calm him down and Wonshik picked up his phone and tried calling his sister but she didn’t answer.

- I have to save her! Let me go!

- I won’t!

What you heard next made you shiver.

- You stay here. I’ll go look for her.

- Taekwoon stop!

Stop! Hey!

Someone stop him!

People around you were yelling, calling Taekwoon back but he disappeared into the flames and smoke.

 

The screams.. The sirens! Those were signs sent for you! They were hints, but you paid them no attention until it was too late!

You froze in your place for a few seconds before you flew behind Taekwoon.

You focused all your senses and tried to listen to sounds of potential survivors away from the hissing of flames while trying to protect Taekwoon from any potential danger.

You heard faint coughs somewhere around you and so did Taekwoon. He hurriedly ran toward the faint noises and you followed. He found two kids, a young boy and an older girl hugging each other, trying to protect themselves from the flames and the smoke.  

The part of the mall under fire was mostly a waiting area. Those who managed to run as soon as the alarms went on survived and were now safe and sound outside the whole area. Only a kid waiting for his parents and Wonshik’s sister were trapped. He didn’t know what to do or where to go and she was trying to calm him down when a part of the building collapsed and trapped them both. The smoke suffocated them and the boy, being too young, fainted. You found her hugging the boy tight and trying to stay conscious for as long as possible.

Taekwoon started yelling:

HERE! TWO KIDS ARE HERE! SOMEONE HELP!

You left them and flew around trying to find a fireman to help.

You decided to change so you could lead whoever you found to where you left Taekwoon and the kids. You ran around trying to cover your mouth but your eyes were burning. Since you’ve never experienced fire before, the burns on your arms were something new to you. The pain was new too. And unbearable! So, although it was tiring for you to do so, you decided to continue your search as an angel. This would be faster and less painful, you thought to yourself.

 

A minute later, you spotted one of the firemen looking for survivors. You changed your shape again and ran toward him.

- Please help me! Two kids are trapped in the waiting area.

- What are you doing here? This is very dangerous.

- I got trapped as well but I couldn’t help them out. Please I need your help, immediately!

He called another fireman and they both followed you as you led them to where the kids were.   

You arrived at where the kids were but couldn’t find Taekwoon. Apparently, he was trying to get help. The firemen helped the kids out. One of them looked around to look for you but you were gone. You were running around frantically, trying to find Taekwoon. You focused as hard as you could but to no avail. You ignored the pain in your legs. Having transformed, the burns on your arms were gone. But now they were replaced with worse burns on your legs and parts of your face.  

You endured the pain and continued running. You tried to listen again, but still nothing. No coughs, no footsteps, nothing.

WHERE COULD HE BE?

You tried calling his name several times but there was no answer.

Tears started flowing down your cheeks. Your mother had warned you. She told you not to let him leave your sight.

You were too exhausted to change your shape. You cried, because you thought you lost him, and because you were in so much pain.

Through the tears, a blurry figure appeared in front of you. A motionless body lying on the floor. You ran as fast as you could. But then you stopped. It was him. Taekwoon. He was lying there, breathless. You sat down next to him.

Is he dead?                                                                                                                                                        

You put your head on his chest. His heart was still beating. You put his head on your lap and patted his face gently, trying to wake him up.

- Taekwoonah~ please wake up. Answer me, Taekwoonah~

He opened his eyes slowly. Very slowly. He was very weak. Having fainted from inhaling so much smoke, he had difficulty speaking and moving. His body was somehow paralyzed. He looked at you:

- [Y/N].. the kids.. I have to save them...

- They're ok, don't worry. They're safe. Let me take you out of here.

- Just.. Go…save yourself.

He fainted again. You did your best trying to wake him up again:

- No.. Taekwoon! Stay with me. Wake up! HELP! SOMEBODY HELP ME!

You yelled as loud as you could. You couldn’t wait in your place. Fire was surrounding you and you had to take him out now. You stood up with his arm on your shoulder but he was heavy and you were exhausted. You thought about getting help but you didn’t want to leave him again.

You looked at him again, tried to wake him up but failed. You bursted in tears. You felt so helpless. Why couldn't you do anything to save him? Why did you let him come here in the first place? If you haven't been there in his life he wouldn't have felt so depressed and risked his life like this. He didn't let Wonshik go and went himself becuase he felt like nobody cared about him anymore. And it was all your fault. 

Between your cries you heard some noise behind you so you started yelling again:

- HELP! OVERHERE! HELP ME! 

You decided to disappear before the firemen arrived at your spot. You can't let them see you like this! It is impossible for a person to have those burns and still be conscious. But since you were too tired to change forms, you hid behind one of the pillars. 

A fireman ran toward the source of the voice to find Taekwoon lying on the floor. He looked around to find the person who yelled but found nobody. 

He then ran toward Taekwoon, tried waking him up and when he failed he decided to just carry him outside and give him the medical care he needed once they were out. 

Once you made sure they were all out, you relaxed and was now less exhausted and thus able to change forms, finally!

You went out to see that the fire was almost under control, Wonshik crying while his sister’s hair as she lay inside the ambulance. Taekwoon's face being covered with an oxygen mask, and the parents of the young boy watching as his chest rose up with every breath he took, indicating that he is going to be fine.

 

Taekwoon, going back to consciousness slowly, took the oxygen mask off and asked the closest person to him about you. The guy called one of the firemen who attended to Taekwoon's question, but denied having seen any girl where Taekwoon himself was found. 

- We found no girl. We heard someone calling but we emptied the whole area, the survivors are all out and there is no such girl. 

The paramedic taking care of Taekwoon asked him to put his mask back but he resisted as he asked the fireman again:

- Are you sure nobody is still inside the buidling?

- Yes. We are 100% sure. That must have been your guardian angel. He said as he excused himself and Taekwoon was forced to put the mask back for his own safety. 

He was then taken to the hospital where they asked him for his family's contact numbers and asked him to rest after attending to all his injuries. 

But, the guy was right… you were Taekwoon's guardian angel.. in a way