Chapter 6

Listen to my heart

This was your first time going to the café after Taekwoon’s confession. It’s the very next day but to you it felt like ages. After your mom’s sudden appearance and her warning to you, you could think of nothing but the nature of the danger threatening Taekwoon’s safety. The night went slowly as you stayed by his side observing his surroundings and wondering what danger would threaten this angelic boy’s life.

You arrived at the café to find it closed. You looked through the windows and saw the siblings busy emptying boxes and looking at lists. One of Taekwoon’s sisters saw you, nudged him on the shoulder and pointed toward the window. He looked at you and his face lit with a smile. He motioned you to come in and you did.

- Are you guys busy or something? I can come later.

- No no~ it’s ok. We’re just checking the inventory and emptying the stock ingredients we have.

- I can help.

- Oh no, don’t worry about that. We’re almost done.

 

You waited until they were done emptying all the boxes. You helped move them out of the way but Taekwoon won’t let you continue:

- Please, just sit here and I’ll be right back.

You surrendered to his orders and sat at your usual table. A minute later he was back into the café.

He sat facing you.

- How are you today?

- I am good, what about you?

- I am fine I guess. Did you arrive home safely last night? I was so worried about you but.. but I didn’t have your number so I couldn’t call you.

- Ah yeah I was fine. Oh.. is this why you didn’t let me help?

He blushed: I didn’t want you to get tired like yesterday.

- Don’t worry about me. I am fine now.

One of his sisters approached your table:

- Why don’t you go somewhere else? The workers will arrive soon.

- What workers? You asked.

- We’re renovating the café a bit. Taekwoon answered. Then he asked his sister: where should we go?

- I don’t know. Go anywhere you want.

- Ok fine. Taekwoon said as he looked at you: Shall we go?

You had no idea where to go. You were afraid he’d ask to take you home or something which would end up exposing you. But you left with him anyway.

You walked for a couple of minutes in silence until you reached a restaurant a few meters away from the café. Taekwoon asked: are you hungry? Shall we eat something?

- Sure, why not?

He entered the café and you followed. It wasn’t a very fancy place, just a regular fast food restaurant but you were happy to simply be with Taekwoon at this new place.

After sitting down and looking at the menu for a couple of minutes without being able to understand much of the food listed there, Taekwoon saw the puzzled look on your face and asked you: Do you not like burgers?

- No no that’s not it. I just haven’t had any before so I am not sure what to choose.

- You what? That’s impossible!

DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO SAY YOU’VE NEVER HAD ANY BEFORE? Couldn’t you just choose anything from the freakin’s menu?!

- Um.. I mean my parents are really strict with my diet so I don’t usually eat those kinds of stuff.

He let out an “Ah!” and you sighed internally.

- We can go somewhere else if you want.

- No no, it’s fine. I want to try it.

- Are you sure?

- Yes, I’m positive. But can you choose something for me?

- Yeah sure. He motioned to the waiter and ordered for both of you.

- So.. about yesterday. He hesitated for a second. I didn’t really want my confession to come out like this. I wanted to make you feel more special but things went out of hand and I sincerely apologize if anything I did made you feel uncomfortable.

- Not at all. I liked it actually. You tried to avoid eye contact with him.

- So can I call you my girlfriend? I.. I mean.. you don’t know me well yet, but would you give me the chance to show you more of myself?

- You don’t know me well too. Are you sure I am the person you want to be with right now?

As much as you loved him you wanted to ensure that he isn’t taking things too quickly. You were wondering what made him feel attracted to you that he confessed, bearing in mind how his previous relationship ended. You though he'd take longer to heal and be ready to get into a relationship again but you couldn't ask him because you are not supposed to know about Soyeon whatsoever. 

He was silent for a minute. You regretted asking him. But then he started talking:

- I don’t really know. I like you and I don’t like playing around. I thought about this carefully. You’re a nice person. I could see glimpses of your personality while discussing the novel with you. It made me see sides of you through your reaction to certain events. And what you did the other day, saving my sister and getting yourself hurt in the process made me feel that you are a selfless person which is something I am attracted to.

He stopped talking for a second and then continued: I’ve been in a couple of relationships before. The first two didn’t end up as badly as the last one did. But it was all my fault. I failed at judging the girl I thought I loved. I might be wrong at judging you too, but I’ll never know unless I give myself the chance to get to know you better, if you want to, of course.

 

You looked at him. You knew how sincere he always was. His last relationship wasn’t a total fail since it made him become more mature and careful at dealing with others. You’ve waited for this moment your entire life. Well, technically, you waited for 5~6 years but it felt like forever.

- I would love to know more about you and tell you more about myself.

- Should we call this our first date?

You smiled shyly before saying: Sure!

His smiled at you brightly. The food arrived and you spent the next hour eating and chatting about random things. Books, coffee and burgers. You liked what he ordered for you and told him you’d want to eat this every day.

- But you’ll gain weight.

- Would you like me less if I gained weight? You asked teasingly.

- That wouldn’t change how I feel about you.  

- Then I’ll eat burgers every day.

You both laughed. You knew he wasn’t shallow but you wanted to hear it from him. Appearances don’t matter as long as you like the other person.

 

An hour later you were on your way out of the restaurant.

- I should go back to the café by now. Shall we go?

As much as you wanted to go with him, you didn’t want to be too clingy. You had to pretend to spend time with your family and friends after all.

- I have to go home and help my mom with some stuff.

- Ok then. I’ll take you home and then go back to the café.

- No no~ you don’t have to.

- Why? It’s not far from here, is it?

- I need to go to the supermarket first and then I’ll go home. Just go back and don’t worry about me.

He hesitated.

- I’ll be fine. Just go and don’t worry about me. You said as you moved in the direction of your so-called “home.” You waved at him and he stood there waving at you before you disappeared in a close alley. You changed your shape and went back to follow him on his way home. A few minutes later he entered the café and his older sister greeted him.

- So where did you take her?

- We went to the burger restaurant we usually go to.

- Did she like it?

- Yes, she said she wants to eat burgers every day.

His sister laughed and then said: But you don’t look too happy.

He didn’t answer.

- Taekwoonah~ are you sure you like her?

- Yes. I am very sure but..

- But what?

- But there is something mysterious about her.

- What is it?

- Um.. I don’t know. But she didn’t let me take her home.

- Maybe she isn’t comfortable showing you her house yet, or maybe she didn’t tell her parents that she is seeing someone yet.

- Maybe.. I just don’t know why I feel that there is something weird about her.

- I’ll ask you one last time: Are you sure you like her?

- Yes. I don’t need to think this twice.

- Then just give her time to open up to you and everything will be clear to you, ok? She said as she ruffled his hair.

- Ok.

 

You are in big trouble. Listening to their conversation made you feel uneasy. You have to think of a way to show him your “home” without getting yourself exposed.

You sighed. You have to think this carefully. You wondered why was the human’s world so complicated? 

 

 

--------------------- 

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS! Reading them makes me feel delighted that you guys are enjoying my story! ♥♥♥