Chapter 3

Listen to my heart

You walked around absentmindedly and found yourself in front of the café. All you wanted to do today is walk around the neighborhood, exploring things in your new body, but your heart was tied to this place and your legs only knew the way to where you can see Taekwoon. You saw his sister coming to the café from the opposite direction but you noticed a strange-looking man following her. Once he stretched his arms to grab her purse you yelled: THEIF! YOUR PURSE!

Taekwoon’s sister jumped in surprise and the man, seeing his attempt to grab her purse failing because of your scream, ran in your direction and knocked you down before running away.

Some guys actually tried running after the man while Taekwoon’s sister helped you get up and took you inside the café.

She called one of her sisters: get me the first-aid kit.

- I am beyond thankful! But you shouldn’t have gotten yourself into this.

You tried to speak but she shushed you.

- Wait, let me take care of your injury first.

That’s when you noticed the scrape on your right elbow. It wasn’t very serious, just a scrape, you thought to yourself.

You looked at her as she disinfected it, and put a bandage on it. You’ve never been injured before but you tried to stay calm and not act amazed by the whole process.

Taekwoon came in with their third sister and heard the rest of your conversation:

- Tell me, how can I reward you?

- Ah please don’t worry about it, it’s nothing.

- No I insist. I’ll give you some money as a gift of gratitude.

- No no~ please, you don’t have to.

Taekwoon interrupted: what happened?

- She saved me from getting robbed and got hurt herself, and now she won’t let me reward her.

Taekwoon let out a surprised “oh” and you lowered your heard in embarrassment: it’s not a big deal, you said.

His sister went back to you: now please tell me what I can do to pay you back, it’s all my fault and I have to reward you.

- What about a free macchiato for a week? Taekwoon said.

His sister looked at him, confused.

He continued: she seemed to like it yesterday.

- Is it ok though? Is that enough?

- Yes! You jumped into the conversation and then retreated back to your seat. Your cheeks were burning.

His sister laughed: you’d replace money with coffee? Well, seems like Taekwoonie’s macchiato can work magic.

You had nothing more to say. You settled for coffee for two reasons. First, because it was Taekwoon’s suggestion and you wouldn’t say no to Taekwoon, ever. Second, because you definitely enjoyed this heavenly drink, well, more like earthly drink, so you were glad he actually suggested it.

They left you after thanking you again. Each went to take care of her own business while Taekwoon started preparing your drink.

You were now thinking about the reason that made Taekwoon make such a suggestion. Was it that he wanted to see you so he made sure you’d come every day for your free coffee? Or was it just a random suggestion to end the discussion? You can never know. It’s not like you can ask him but you couldn’t stop thinking either.

You looked in his direction and saw him carrying two paper cups. You were the only “customer” so you weren’t sure who the second cup was for. But as soon as Taekwoon asked if he can sit with you, you figured it was for him. He wanted to have his coffee with you!

You wanted to pinch yourself, no, you wanted to kick yourself, really hard. Was this a dream? You couldn’t tell. All you ever wanted was to have Taekwoon talk to you or just look at you, but having him sit with you was beyond imagination.

It took you a few seconds to nod and say: yes, please have a seat.

- That was quiet brave. We’re all very thankful to you.  

- It’s nothing, really. You said, lowering your gaze.

Saving people and helping them around was something you always enjoyed but you were never put in the situation where they constantly thanked you for it.

- I forgot to ask you about your name yesterday. Taekwoon said. He hesitated for a second and then said: My name is Taekwoon

You interrupted him: I know.

Here you go again.. Speaking without thinking.

He looked at you, baffled: How did you know? I don’t remember telling you.

You swallowed hard then remembered: your sister called you and asked you to take care of my order when I came yesterday and I managed to catch it.

You were saved, once again. But you were sure you’re going to ruin everything if you don’t leash your tongue.

He let out a relieved “Ah~”

- My name is (Y/N).

You gave him your name. You had a whole back up story prepared in case you managed to do what you’re doing right now, have a little chat with Taekwoon. You never thought it would happen too soon and you were thankful you had that prepared.

- That’s a nice name.

- Thank you.

- So, did you move in recently?

- Yeah. Last week, my parents and I moved into an apartment two blocks from here.

- Do you like the area?

- So far yes. It’s nice and the park is really big.

- It’s way better than the previous park.

You took a sip from your drink and said: I agree.

AGAIN! You weren’t supposed to know about the park’s renovation that took place 2 years ago when you JUST MOVED!

You managed to save yourself again: our neighbors told us about it when they showed us around the area.

- What about you? You asked.

- I was born in this building. My father’s family owned this café before he even met my mother. He inherited the building and the café so we live upstairs.

You almost said: I know, but you managed to shut yourself up in the last second.

- You must really like it here, don’t you? You asked him.

He looked around and then said: I am not sure I can say that I like it, but I don’t hate it either. I guess I am just used to being here ever since I was born.

- If you had the chance, would you live somewhere else? You were getting curious. You’ve seen a couple of Paris posters in his room so you wondered whether he’d say anything about it now.

- A while ago, Paris was everything I thought about it, but not anymore.

- Why?

He hesitated.  

- I.. I am sorry. I shouldn’t ask you such personal questions.

- It’s ok. It’s just.. I don’t like talking about this.

- I am so sorry.

- No it’s fine. These days I am trying to find new things in my surroundings. My sisters and my parents need me so I am trying to accommodate myself.

One of his sisters called him and he excused himself. He came back a couple of minutes later: I am sorry but I have to go run some errands for my sisters.

- That’s ok.

- I am sorry I always do this.

- No~ it’s totally fine. I have to go anyway.

- But you’ll come tomorrow right? F..For your free coffee I mean

You giggled and said: of course.

- Great. I have to go now. See you tomorrow. He said as he waved to you and left the café.

You sighed in delight. You grabbed your drink and left the café. You forgot about the whole world as you thought about the few sentences you exchange with Taekwoon and how, regardless of how few they were, they made you feel closer to him.

His last sentence got stuck in your head: See you tomorrow. Was it for the coffee or not, he definitely wanted to see you again and you wanted nothing more than that. 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------

Heeeey! Happy New Year to you all! and I really hope you like reading my stories as much as I like writing them ♥ 

Let me know what you think :D