Chapter 13

Listen to my heart

- Are you really going to leave him alone? Your sister asked, after you told her the details of your departure. 

- No. 

- What? Why? But you said..

- I know what I said. I simply can't. I can't leave him. I'm so used to seeing him that I can't imagine a day passing without me taking a glance at him at least. 

- But what if you weaken? What if you go back and he rejects you again?

- I won't. 

- How?

- You'll see. 

 

 

Few days have passed since you left Taekwoon. Well, technically you haven't left but he can't see you anymore. 

You watched him read your letter over and over again and then put it inside his diary, along with the weathered feather. You watched him avoid his parents and sisters' questions about you. You watched him walk around the area with Wonshik, trying to find you or catch a glimpse of you to no avail. 

Your heart clenched at his helpless attempts. You read his diaries when he left with Wonshik and your pain intensified. All he wanted was to find you, to see you again. You were afraid that what you read would weaken you and make you go back to him but you were still hurt even though you were moved by his attempts to find you..

A thing, that's what he called you, that's how he'll always see you. A thing.. 

 

You decided to transform, yes. You'll be around him in a human form. But.. a different form than your previous shape. A new form he's never seen before. Can you do that? Of course. 

 

- Mother..

- Yes?

- I need your help.

- What is it this time?

- I..I need to work somewhere. 

- You need to do what? Work? With humans? Why would you want to do that? Is it that boy again?

You nodded, your cheeks turning bright red. 

She sighed. 

- Where do you want to work?

- I don't know. Anywhere but the cafe. 

- Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can do.

- What will you do?

- I have my own ways. She said, sounding mysterious, but you knew she had her ways, she always does. 

 

 

A couple of days later you asked your mother how things are progressing and she said you could start working tomorrow. 

- Tomorrow? Like.. tomorrow?

- Yes. 

- But.. How? Where? How did you do it?

- I told you, I have my own ways. There is a flower shop two blocks away from the cafe, go tomorrow and introduce yourself and they'll know what to do. 

- Did you give them my name?

- Yes why? 

- I.. Is it ok if I tell them a different name?

- Why? What is going on?

- Nothing.. I just.. I'll manage, don't worry. 

- This boy is going to drive you crazy. 

You thanked her and left, mumbling to yourself: 

- He already did. 

 

 

The next day, you transformed into a new girl, a new shape. You had to give the owners of the shop a different name. You explained to them that whoever talked to them about you gave them the wrong name and they, thankfully, understood. So you gave them the name Jaerim. 

Working at the flower shop was one of the best things that have ever happened to you. You loved the smell of flowers and enjoyed writing cards for people who came to buy bouquets for their girlfriends or wives. 

 

One boy came to buy flowers for his girlfriend. He said his handwriting was bad and he wanted the card to look pretty so you offered to write him the card. Although he was happy to get help, he was shy and his ears turned red as he recited words of love to you so you could write them on the card. 

- She must be a lucky girl. 

- Uh.. Do you think so? He looked embarrassed.

- Yes I do. 

- Thank you. Do you have a boyfriend? He felt at ease conversing with you but once he uttered his question, the expression on your face made him regret it. 

- I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to.. 

- No it's ok. I had a boyfriend a while ago but.. things didn't go as we wished. 

- I am sorry to hear that. 

You finished wrapping the bouquet and attaching the card. You handed it to him with a smile. 

- Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help. 

- You're most welcome.  

 

Conversations like this reminded you of Taekwoon. Every time a boy bought flowers for his girlfriend or a lady bought flowers for her husband, you remembered him and you felt nostalgic. But then you remembered your pain and it stopped you from doing something stupid, like going to the cafe. Although you had a new form, a new facade, you were afraid your longing for him would betray you. You were afraid you'll somehow ruin everything and expose yourself to him. So you never walked in the direction of the cafe or even walked around that block. 

 

 

New Years Eve. The busiest day ever. 

Since you, angels, don't celebrate the humans' New Years Eve, you stayed at the flower shop and helped with the enormous amount of delivery orders and pickups. At some point you had to stop taking in any more delivery orders and were almost ready to close the shop altogether. You were running out of flowers and you had to transfer some orders to other shops. 

 

While arranging a couple of bouquets for a customer, a guy approached you and asked for a bouquet. You would have asked him to go somewhere else if only.. 

If only you didn't recognize his voice. 

Jung Taekwoon... 

You froze for a second before turning around to face him. Yes, it was him! He stood there, alone, asking for a bouquet of red roses to be wrapped in white wrapping paper. You called one of your co-workers and asked her to finish what you were working on so you could take care of Taekwoon's order. 

- Hello. Can you repeat your order please?

- Oh yes. 5 red roses wrapped in white, please. 

- Sure. You started picking the prettiest roses. Your heart was beating as fast as a human heart could go. You were nervous for two reasons. The first was that Taekwoon was standing right in front of you. The second was: whom was this bouquet for? Did he get over you this fast? You haven't been at the cafe for a while now and you thought that he might have stopped looking for you, might have found someone new, someone more physical than you. You were dying to ask but you couldn't.

- Have we met before? Taekwoon asked, gazing into your eyes. 

You swallowed before you stuttered: 

- N..no. I don't think so. 

- You look.. familiar. Do you live in this area? 

- No. I moved in very recently and I.. haven't been around much. You said as you tried wrapping the roses as quick as possible and handed it to him. He thanked you and left and you moved to another customer. 

Your hands were working on the bouquet but your mind was busy thinking about what Taekwoon said. Did he recognize you? That's impossible! Your new shape looked nothing like the old one. Well, maybe the new one reminded him of a friend or something. You relaxed a bit when you realized he couldn't have recognized you whatsoever.

 

- Here you go. Have a pleasant evening. You repeated the same sentence all night long. But this was the last time because the shop was totally empty and it was time to leave. 

- Where are you spending the night? One of your co-workers asked. 

- I am.. I'll sleep over at a friend's house. You lied.

- Do you need us to drop you there?

- No. Don't worry about me. Her house isn't very far from here. You lied again.

- Are you sure?

- Yes. Thank you! Have a pleasant night, and happy New Year. 

 

As soon as you left, you hid in the closest alley and changed forms. You were dying to know who it is that Taekwoon is spending the night with. You flew to the cafe and found it empty. You used the window in his room to check if he is there, and he was. 

His mother was urging him to get dressed so they could leave. Apparently, they're spending the night together as a family. But.. what about the flowers? 

 

That's when you noticed them on his desk. You waited until he left and then entered the room. He left without the flowers. Did he forget them? 

There was a card attached. You haven't written that card. He didn't even buy it at the shop. 

You waited for a couple of minutes to see if he would come back and take the bouquet but he didn't. You heard them leave so you transformed and picked up the card and started reading: 

[Y/N]

Your heart stopped beating. You didn't expect to see your name written on the card. You didn't expect it to be for you. You continued reading: 

I am sorry for being such a jerk. Please forgive me. 

P.S. If you read this card, please let me know. 

 

You didn't want to cry but you felt the urge to. You sat on his bed with the card in your hands. You read it so many times that you were no longer reading. You were simply staring at the words and thinking about him. You stood up, opened the drawer and took his diary out. The feather was still there, as well as your letter. 

You read the latest entry: 

Dear diary, 

I can't find [Y/N] anywhere. Is she gone forever? Didn't she say she loved me? Didn't she say we're connected together? Why did she leave?

I was so harsh on her. If only I could find her so I can apologize for everything. I want to see her. I miss her. So much!

I've never missed Euna like I miss [Y/N].. There is something different about her. After she's gone, I feel like a part of me is missing... 

Although this sounds very cliché but it's true.. If only she'd come back.. 

 

You picked a petal of one of the roses and put it inside his diary. You had no idea why you were doing this. You were simply leaving him a sign that you were there, but what for?

Are you going to go back to him? Will you surrender to your feelings of longing and nostalgia and forget about the impossibility of this relationship? You left the petal and with it left a trace of hope, for him and for you.