Chapter 5

Listen to my heart

You no longer came for your coffee. You'd enter the cafe, salute the girls and go upstairs to Taekwoon's room. You'd spend a couple of hours reading your favorite quotes and discussing certain events that you found significant. Although Taekwoon had already started a new book due to his current state and the boredom he felt, he'd pretend he was still reading "Sense and Sensibility."

How did you know? 

Because once you left and said good night to him, you'd change to your original state and come back to his room again. 

 

You were curious about whether he'd talk to his sisters about you, but he didn't, which left you disappointed. While his sister thought he was starting to like you, you weren't able to see that. He was looking for a friend, that's all. A friend who would share his interests in novels since he already had friends who play football with him. You were just his new reading buddy. But that was more than satisfying for you. Not that you didn't long to be more than just a friend, but you'd rather take things slowly. 

 

Two weeks had passed since his injury and after he went for a checkup the doctor said he can walk as much as he wants now. So he started going downstairs to the cafe and you moved your discussion session there. 

 

His mother approached your table and sat down with you and Taekwoon.

- (Y/N).. I can’t express how thankful I am for you. Your parents must be proud of you. You’re such a wonderful girl.

You were blushing and you didn’t know what to say so you just said: Thank you!

- Do you live somewhere close to our café? Isn’t it tiring for you to come here every day?

 

You were out of words. You didn’t technically “live” somewhere. You had to come up with an address, a physical home quickly.

- Yeah. I live one block away from here. Next to the bakery on 5th street.

This was the only place you could think of at the moment. You loved the smell of the fresh bread of that bakery and that’s all you could think of at this moment.

- Ah ~ I know this place. It must be nice living next to this bakery.

You nodded.

- I’ll leave you to your reading. Again, thank you for taking care of our Taekwoonie.

Taekwoon was blushing as his mom ruffled his hair and left the table.

- She enjoys treating me like a child. He whined.

You giggled.  

- But hey.. didn’t you say you lived two..

A couple came into the café and the look on Taekwoon’s face became dark. You looked in their direction and saw Euna, Taekwoon’s ex-girlfriend. Euna has always been a nice girl and they were madly in love when they were in college. They got to the point where they actually “did it” and were one step away from getting engaged when her father passed away and she was forced to move to her hometown with her mother. They stayed in touch for as long as they could and he promised to wait for her when he received the news of her marriage to “an old childhood friend” she reunited with in her hometown.

 

You could see Taekwoon getting really nervous and trying to avoid being seen by her but she caught him on her way out. 

- Jung Taekwoon! 

He stood up to greet her. 

- Yoo Euna.. 

- How are you? 

- I'm fine, and you? 

- I'm great. The guy she came with approached the table and greeted Taekwoon. 

- This is my husband, Sungjae. This is Taekwoon, a friend from college. 

 

"A friend from college"... That's what she called her ex-boyfriend. The one she was madly in love with. If you could, at your current state, see inside Taekwoon, you would have seen his heart shatter in million pieces. 

 

- Nice to meet you. Taekwoon said as he pointd at you, "this is (Y/N).. My girlfriend" 

You couldn’t feel your legs, your heart was beating so fast and your face was burning. Euna looked at you in disappointment. She was hoping Taekwoon was still single, living on the memories she left him when she moved and got married. She was hoping that he is not over her yet and he could see it in her eyes. This is why he referred to you as his girlfriend, to make her jealous. 

 

- Nice to meet you. Taekwoon is a good guy, you’re very lucky to have him.

You nodded and gave her a faint smile. She then excused herself and left the café with her husband. Taekwoon was following her with his eyes. Once she was out of sight he turned to you but you gave him no chance to speak. You grabbed your book and purse and left the café.

- (Y/N)! Wait!

He grabbed your wrist.

- I am sorry. He said, staring into your eyes.

- Sorry for what exactly?

He swallowed hard: for calling you my girlfriend.

You looked away, took a deep breath and then let it all out.

- Why did you tell her I was your girlfriend? Do you even like me? Do you even care about me? What am I to you huh?

- You saw how she said I was her friend. She didn’t even say we were dating. She broke my heart and I..  

- What am I to you? You interrupted him.

He was silent for a second and then he said: (Y/N).. I like you.

You stared at him, tears making your vision blurry.

- I am sorry things had to happen this way. I was planning on confessing but seeing her triggered me and I misjudged things.

You were still silent. Tears slowly flowing over your cheeks.

He pulled you inside the cafe and toward the stairs and took you up to his room.

- I was planning to give you a book with a confession letter in it.

He was blushing and avoiding eye-contact with you. He handed you a new novel, “Wuthering Heights.”

You looked at him: what is this?

- Open it. He almost whispered. You could tell how embarrassing this was for him. His ears were red and he was still avoiding eye-contact.

You opened the first page of the book to a dedication:

(Y/N). I know it hasn’t been long since I met you, but I felt attracted to you immediately. I know this sounds cliché but it is true. I might not be a perfect person, but I hope you’d give me the chance to show you a better side of me. Would you be my girlfriend?

You looked at him and found him staring at you, waiting for a reaction.

- I’d love to. You whispered.

At that moment, you started feeling dizzy. You’ve never experienced this feeling before. Taekwoon panicked as he was trying to help you sit on his bed.

- Are you ok?

- I don’t know what’s wrong. I am just.. I don’t know what’s happening. The room is spinning and I can’t stand up.

- Wait here. I’ll call my mother.

Before you could object, he was already gone. A light breeze touched your face and you had a sudden urge to change to your original shape. Once you did you could see her, your mother.

- Mother! Why are you here? Is this why I almost fainted?

- This was the only way I could summon you.

- Why did you have to? What is going on?

- Have your aura been vibrating lately?

- Yes.. Why?

She looked worried.

- Mother, please tell me what is going on. Why is my aura vibrating?

- The boy.. he is in danger.

- Taekwoon? Why is he in danger? Mother please tell me, don’t keep me hanging.

- I can’t.

- Why?

- Because I don’t know what is it. All I can say is that he is in danger. Something bad is going to happen to him. But I don’t know what and I don’t know when.

- But what does my aura have to do with him?

- Because you love him. Your aura could sense it.

- What am I supposed to do now?

- Just don’t let him out of your sight. Protect him. 

You heard hurried steps on the stairs. You looked around to find that your mother is gone so you quickly changed back into your human form and sat on the bed where Taekwoon left you.

His mother came into the room following him. 

- (Y/N) are you ok? She asked, worried.

- Yes Mrs. Jung. I am ok, don’t worry about me.

- Are you sure? Taekwoon said you were feeling dizzy.

- Oh it’s ok. I guess I am just tired. I’ll go home and rest now. I’ll be fine. Thank you.

- Let me take you home. Taekwoon said as he held your hand to help you stand up. You almost freaked out. What “home” is he going to take you to?

- No no, I’m better now. I’ll go alone, you don’t have to come with me.

- But.. I’ll take you, you don’t look like you can walk on your own.

- Please don’t worry about me. I am ok now. I have to go. You almost ran down the stairs and disappeared at the first alley you found. You were determined to go back and stay by Taekwoon’s side. You won’t let him leave your sight.  

 

----------------------------------------------------- 

So~ I am feeling inspired these days so I might post the next chapter within a couple of days! I hope you're enjoying this story as much as I am enjoying your comments :D