Chapter 15

Listen to my heart

Your shift was over a couple of hours later and you were changing your clothes so you could leave. You and one of your co-workers stayed behind to lock the doors. You were trying to convince yourself that this is what you'll be doing for the time being and you need to get used to it. You liked working here but you always felt nostalgic to the cafe, Taekwoon, and everything related to him.

Once everything was done you said goodbye to her and pretended to walk home. You had to walk a considerable distance because the street was packed. 

You had nowhere to go so you thought you'd pass by the cafe. Why? Nostalgia. You missed Taekwoon and you were eager to know if he talked to his family or sisters about his date. You walked slowly and suddenly noticed him walking by your side. He was also going to the cafe, apparently. Where had he been all this time? Did he meet her again? No, you didn't think so.

You let him walk ahead of you and you followed him inside the cafe. You approached the counter and proceeded to order a drink. He stared at you and you stood there awkwardly looking back at him. He smiled and said: 

- Hi! Aren't you the girl from the flower shop?

- Oh! Hi. Yes, it's me. You let out an awkward giggle. 

- I'm sorry if I bothered you by my questions earlier. 

- It's ok. How did your date go? You internally cursed yourself. There is this thing about Taekwoon that makes you speak so mindlessly. You'd call it 'The Jung Taekwoon effect'.

- I beg your pardon? He asked.

- I..You got flowers so I thought you probably had a date. 

He let out a relieved 'ah' and said: 

- Well, yeah. It was supposed to be a date but apparently she didn't like me enough. 

- Oh! That's good. SH*T! 

- Excuse me? He raised an eyebrow and you were melting in embarrassment. 

- I mean.. it's good to know from the very beginning whether things are working or not.

- I totally agree. He then handed you your drink and said: 

- Would you please have a seat? I want to serve you something, to make it up for me bothering you with my questions and bumping into you earlier today. 

You felt flustered. You didn't want to stay any longer. You missed seeing him brew coffee and prepare it with love for each and every customer but you were weak in his presence and you knew it would affect everything you do. 

- Please, just for a minute. He gave you puppy eyes and you had to say yes. Trying to act smart, you chose a different table than your usual one, where you and him used to read and discuss books. You sat down while he disappeared inside the kitchen. A couple of minutes later he came back with a piece of cake on a plate and an envelope. You looked at the piece of cake in astonishment. It was the cake his mother asked you to taste when she tried making it for the first time. The damned, awfully delicious, strawberry cake that exposed your secret, you thought to yourself. What was he trying to do? 

- Do you like strawberry? 

You nodded. 

- You're not allergic or anything? 

Your ears turned bright red as you took the hint of what he was saying. 

- I am not. You faintly said. He handed you the envelope and said: 

- I hope you like it. And then left. You were dying to open the envelope but you knew he was watching you, so you tried to act as calm as your nerves allowed you to. You ate your cake in silence, memories of the first time you tried it crawling to your head. That day had started very well but then things turned so bad. 

You finished your drink and your cake, tucked the envelope inside your purse and left the cafe. 

 

You entered an alley as soon as you left the cafe and opened the envelope. Inside, you found a piece of paper and a red petal. The petal was dry so you knew it was from the bouquet he got you on New Year's Eve. You hesitantly took the piece of paper out and read the only sentence written on it: 

[Y/N].. I know it's you. 

 

You suddenly felt a strong arm on your shoulder. You jumped in place before turning around. 

- Hand me your purse and I'll let you go. 

- Let me go. You slipped your shoulder from under the stranger's hold but he held your wrist firmly. He took out a knife from his pocket and threatened to hurt you if you don't give him your purse. 

- [Y/N]! 

DON'T! NO! LEAVE! You wanted to scream when you saw Taekwoon run toward the guy and attack him. You could handle this yourself. You didn't want him to get hurt. The guy dropped his knife and he was now receiving punches from Taekwoon and punching him back. You had to think quickly. You decided to transform into a cop. As much as the thought sounded very ridiculous to you, it actually worked. The guy let go of Taekwoon's collar as soon as he saw you in your cop shape and ran away. You bent down to check on Taekwoon and noticed the cut on his lower lip. You wiped the trail of blood with a shaky hand. 

- Are you going to stay like this for too long? This is really awkward. He said, giving you a faint smile. 

You remembered you still had the cop form on so you immediately changed back to your Jaerim form. 

- No. Not this one. 

- Does it matter? Both are fake. 

- I know. I meant the real you. 

You sighed then asked:

- What do you want? 

- I want you [Y/N]! I want you to come back to me.

- I can't.

- Why not? He asked, desperately.

- Because all I do is hurt you again and again. You said touching the cut on his lip, and the bruises on his face. 

- I don't care. A pack of ice and few stitches will solve everything. He said as he held your hand to keep it on his face. You, not being able to look at his bruised face, worked your magic and healed his face in seconds. 

- I'm sorry. You whispered and disappeared right in front of him. He saw you transform before but he was shocked by your sudden disappearance that he almost fell back. He looked around but you where nowhere to be found. He touched his lip and found that it was healed. He went back to the cafe and found the closest mirror. He stared at his own face for a few seconds before realizing what you did, what you've been doing all this time.

He was now determined to find you. He won't allow you to leave. He will go to the flower shop first thing in the morning. He will talk to you in front of your co-workers so you will be forced to listen to him without running away. 

 

 

He woke up early the next morning and headed to the flower shop immediately. 

- I'm sorry but we haven't opened yet. The manager told him when he saw him glancing through the windows. 

- I am not here for flowers. Can I talk to [Y/N] please? 

- We don't have a worker with this name. 

He was surprised at the manager's answer, then remembered that you appeared with a new face so you probably had a new name. He gave him your descriptions and the manager answered:

- Ah! You mean Jaerim? She didn't come today.

- Do you where she lives?

- Sorry son. I can't help you with that. The manager answered and left Taekwoon standing in front of the shop, hopeless. Of course you didn't live anywhere. What a stupid question to ask. 

Where do I find her now? He said, talking to himself. He roamed around the area for a couple of hours before deciding to go home.

He went back to the cafe, pulling behind him nothing but desperation. On his way back, he was planning to come to the flower shop every day. He will come by himself or send Wonshik to ask about you. The manager told him your new name is Jaerim. Yes, he'd send Wonshik to ask about a 'Jaerim' and once he found her, he will come himself and talk to you.

While walking around the area, waiting for you to show up he remembered what happened, three weeks ago.

 

 

While running some errands for his parents, he was walking toward the grocery store and daydreaming about you that he missed the 'don't walk' red light and walked right into the flow of cars. An invisible force pulled him backwards and he fell on the sidewalk in the middle of horns and frightened screams. He then heard a faint whisper in his ear:

- Don't do this again.

He looked around him but nobody was that close to him. Who pulled him? Who whispered in his ear? None of the people standing around him took credit for saving his life. He stood up, people around him asking him if he was ok while some called him crazy for walking so carelessly and nearly getting himself killed. He bowed and apologized for not paying enough attention and then walked away.

 

 

A couple of days later, he came back from a soccer match with his friends, sneaked into the kitchen for a glass of water. His mother would have killed him if she saw him get into her kitchen with his dirty sneakers, but he did anyway. His hands were sweaty and he was shaking in exhaustion that he ended up spilling some water on the counter. While one hand held the cup, the other tried to find its way on the counter, supporting his weight. His hand, falling on the wet spot, slipped and his face almost landed on the counter, threatening to break his jaw. Instead, he fell on what he felt was a soft cushion, protecting his face and jaw from breaking. The glass fell to the floor and was shattered into small pieces and his mother frantically ran into the kitchen and found him collecting pieces of glass.

- What happened?

- Nothing. I slipped.

- Are you ok? Did you get hurt?

He cut his finger while picking the glass, but when he wanted to show her the cut, to his surprise, it was gone.

- No.. I.. I am fine. I'll clean this up. 

- Clean the glass and the dirt your sneakers left around my kitchen. What were you thinking getting into my kitchen with this dirt?

She rolled her eyes and left him, and he heard a whisper, again.

- Would you please be more careful? 

He looked around but he was the only one in the kitchen. 

- [Y/N]? 

Having received no answer, he collected the glass and went back to his room.

 

 

 

A week later, he had an appointment so he woke up early and wanted to take a shower.

While under the hot water, he remembered something. He turned the water off and wrapped a towel around himself. His leg missed the slippers and he almost slipped but again, his fall was gentle and he felt a soft cushion under him. He then waited for the whisper. 

- Are you trying to kill yourself? 

By now he was sure it was you. He was very sure... 

 

 

 

He arrived at his room. The weather was very hot and having spent a couple of hours walking around made him feel drained. He turned the A/C on, took his shirt off and laid on his bed. He then remembered something, jumped off his bed and opened the drawer of his desk. He took his diary out and sat on his bed. He found your letter and went through it again. 

 

We will forever be connected.. whatever happens to you will affect me.. so please.. if you love me, don't hurt yourself..

His eyes sparkled. It was definitely you. 

 

His mother knocked on his door and opened it, not giving him the chance to hide your letter. 

- Taekwoonah~ What renovations do you want to do in your room? Why are you shirtless? 

- Why didn't you wait for me to let you in?

- I'm your mother. It's not like I haven't see you before.

His face turned a bright shade of pink at her comment.

- Now tell me, what do you want to change?

He looked around. His room definitely needs renovation. 

- I need a bigger bed, and a library instead of these shelves. 

His mother listened to all his suggestions before saying: 

- Start packing your things then. The workers will come tomorrow so be ready to tell them of your plans. 

 

As soon as she left, he looked around the room, trying to decide what he really wanted to do with it. He grabbed a box from under his bed and started packing his books. When he was done he found himself staring at the Paris poster he had on one of the walls. He grabbed the chair and climbed it, planning to get rid of the poster. He had it when he was dating Euna. They were planning to travel to Paris after graduating and getting engaged but his plans didn't work out the way he wanted them to. 

- I don't need this anymore. 

He tried pulling the poster off the wall but he lost his balance. The space between the chair and the floor wasn't very big but he could break a bone falling backwards like this. His arms looked for something to hold but found nothing. 

Instead of hitting the floor, his body landed on what felt like a soft mattress under his weight. 

- Are you trying to hurt yourself? You said faintly. 

He looked around, trying to find you. 

- What? No! 

- Why do you keep getting yourself in trouble then? You're such an idiot. 

- I know that already. He smiled faintly. But I know it was you all the time. 

- How did you know it was me? You wanted to ask him this question ever since he gave you that piece of paper but you couldn't.

- You changed your shape, but everything is still the same. Your small gestures, the way you smile, even your eyes are still the same. 

What is he talking about? 

- I saw them the first time I came to the shop for flowers and they looked very familiar. When I saw you again I was sure it was you. I'll always recognize those eyes. He spoke softly while his eyes were trying to locate you. You were getting teary, but you didn't want to cry.  

You were silent. 

- I missed you [Y/N]! 

Still silent. 

- I missed you. I missed everything about you. I never imagined I'll find you again. 

- But you have a new girlfriend now, why are you still looking for me? You said, showcasing your jealousy. 

- A new girlfriend? Ah, Heeseon? I told you she didn't seem to like me. 

- But you went on a date with her. I saw you exchange your numbers. What does that make her?

- What you saw was me asking her to send me her father's number. He runs a publishing company and she said he will help me find books that are out of stock.

He paused before asking:

- Are you jealous? 

You rolled your eyes. 

- Admit it. You are jealous.

- No. I am not.

- Liar.

- I have to go.

- You're not leaving.

- Taekwoon. This thing isn't going to work.

- This thing? You call my love to you a 'thing'? [Y/N].. I really love you.

- You called me a thing, remember?  

- I am sorry I was very harsh with you. I didn't mean what I said.  

You looked at him, tears making your vision blurry. 

- You're sorry about what exactly?

You wanted him to specify. General apologies were never enough. He hurt you and he has to know it.

- I am sorry I called you a thing. I didn't mean to. I was shocked and I didn't pay enough attention to how you felt being called a thing. I know I said I'd love you no matter what you looked like but I was taken aback. I was hurt to know that you lied to me and I was blinded by my hurt to see that you too were hurting.

He was very sincere, and now it was time for you to apologize.

- I am sorry I lied to you. It was the only way I could stay around you without feeling.. different. I wanted you to love me like you'd love a normal girl. Lying was the only thing I could do. I never meant to hurt you either. 

- [Y/N] I love you. 

 - I love you too. 

- Show yourself then. Let me see you!

- I can't!

- Why not? Didn't you say you loved me? 

- I do but.. You might want to put on a shirt first. You said, knowing how awkward it would be if you appeared in front of him while he had no shirt on.

You've seen him topless before, even .. but not when you were this close to him, not when you were about to show him yourself, not after this confession, and not that he was aware you did...

His face turned a bright shade of pink as he looked around, trying to find his shirt. He looked behind him to find you holding the shirt in your hands. His face was burning and so were his ears.

- Put it on so I can hug you.

He took his shirt, put it on and buttoned it.  

- Would you hug me now?

- I'd love to. 

He wrapped his arms around you while your arms found their way around his middle. You buried your face in his chest as he gently your hair.

- Don't leave me again. I know how to bring you back. I won't hesitate a second before trying that again. 

- I know you would. But how do you know I'd save you every time you risk your life?

- Because you love me like I love you. I know you will. 

You pulled yourself out of his hold and hit his chest playfully. 

- Cocky. 

He held your face between his hands and pulled your face closer to his. His lips landed on yours and you closed your eyes in ecstasy. Your needy kiss told him how much you missed him. 

He pulled out of the kiss and asked you: 

- Did you see me in the shower?

He asks the weirdest questions at the worst times, you thought to yourself. 

You shyly nodded and his face was burning in embarrassment. 

- Was it the first time? He asked again. 

You shook your head and he hid his face in his hands. You pulled his hands away and pecked his cheeks.

- I've been there all the time, remember?

- Since you know so much about me, why don't you start by telling me about yourself?

- What do you want to know?

He held your hand, pulled you toward the edge his bed. He sat down and patted the space next to  him so you sat down next to him. 

- Tell me everything. Let's start by 'I came here to try you.' He looked at you as you looked away in embarrassment, remembering your first encounter with him in a human form. You never thought he'd remember what you said, so regardless of how embarrassed you were, you were actually very happy he remembered this specific moment. 

 

You spent the rest of the day talking to Taekwoon about almost everything. You had no idea how much time had passed but your yawns told him how sleepy you were. He stood up, leading you to his side of the bed, laid on his bed and motioned you to lay next to him. He wrapped his arm around you and pulled you closer to him. He, noticing sleep crawling into your eyes and forcing your eyelashes shut, kissed your temple and said: 

- Will I find you in my arms when I wake up?

You nodded. He kissed you again and whispered: 

- Do you promise?

- Yes.

- Good night then, [Y/N]. 

- Good night, Taekwoon. You whispered back and let your eyes surrender to sleep, knowing that you can now rest assured Taekwoon will be by your side, forever. 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The End! 

I fell in love with this story while writing it and I hope you enjoyed reading it! Thank you for subscribing and leaving your sweet comments! ♥