Chapter 8

Listen to my heart

Taekwoon wasn’t at the café today. His mother said he went out with his friends, something about a football game. You said that it was fine and asked her if there is anything you can help her with around the café.

- There is one thing I’d like you to help me with. I’m trying a new cake recipe and I need you to try it and tell me what you think, ok?

You nodded excitedly. You sipped at your coffee as she disappeared inside the kitchen. You spent half an hour waiting for her to come out of the kitchen. After almost 45 minutes, she came out and said the cake needs to cool down before you can try it. She laughed at the disappointment she saw on your face and you blushed.

Another half an hour passed with her preparing drinks and serving customers. You helped clean the tables as none of the girls were around. After almost an hour and a half, the café was almost empty so she decided to go check on the cake. She came out a few minutes later with a plate and a fork.

- I hope it’s worth waiting for. She said.

You couldn’t wait to taste it and you didn’t even ask her what flavor it was.

You took the first bite and your expressions said it all. It was divine! You have never tasted anything like this before. You weren’t sure what to call it. It was something sweet and sugary but you had no name for it.

She patiently waited for you to swallow before asking you:

- So, what do you think?

- I LOVE IT! You almost yelled. You looked around embarrassedly and she laughed again.  

- I’ll let you enjoy it then. She said as she went back behind the counter and prepared drinks for the new customers.

You continued eating your cake and you didn’t notice Taekwoon entering the café and observing you as you enjoyed his mom’s cake.

- [Y/N]~..

You looked up at him.

- What are you eating? I am starving. He whined.

- Taekwoona~ go up and shower first. Don’t walk around with those dirty sneakers.  

You laughed at his pouty face. He was playing football with his friends so he was all sweaty and his clothes were dirty.

- Your mom made this cake. It’s seriously delicious. You said as you cut a piece and tried to feed him.

- Jung Taekwoon! His mom yelled at him.

He opened his mouth and ate the bite you offered quickly and ran to his room.

He came back a couple of seconds later.

- [Y/N]! Stop eating!

- Why are you still here? His mom came from behind the counter and almost slapped his shoulder.

- Mom! How could you give her this? She’s allergic! [Y/N]! Are you okay?

Allergic? OH My GOD! It’s strawberry! That’s what his mother fed you!

Of course you weren’t allergic, that’s why you forgot about this little lie you told him. Now what? You had to pretend to be sick? Do you have to throw up? Faint? You had no idea how to react to allergy!

- Oh my god I didn’t know! [Y/N].. do you have a medication for this?

Medication? YES!

You stood up and collected your stuff.

- I do. I’ll go home and get it. Don’t worry, this isn’t very serious.

- What do you mean not very serious? I’ll take you home. Taekwoon said.

- NO. I mean.. you don’t have to. It isn’t a sever allergy, it’s just a light case. I’ll take a pill and I’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me.

You pretended to cough.

You didn’t give him the chance to say anything. You thanked his mother for the cake and told her not to worry about you and left the café immediately.

 

You knew he’d follow you so you ran as fast as you could, hid in an abandoned alley and changed your shape. The moment you did, you saw him enter the alley. He was following you, but then you disappeared. He looked around, confused.

- Where did she disappear? You heard him curse himself for not being able to catch you.

 

All you wanted to do now is to disappear and never come back again. You wished you never took the decision of transforming and meeting him as a person. You never thought things would be so complicated and you weren’t aware of the consequences.

You looked around the corner and saw that he disappeared. You thought about the whole situation now. You had to go back to the café after a while to prove that you are okay and to prove that you went back home and took your medications. It wasn’t this simple but you had to try.

You walked around the area for a couple of hours before changing back to your human form and heading back to the café.

You were in so much pain. You wanted to be around him but unexpected things stopped you from being normal whenever he was around. You wanted to go to him and confess it all. Would he believe you though? Would he believe that you are not a human? An Angel? It won’t make sense to him at all.

 

You were getting closer to the café and the idea was starting to form in your head. You should probably show him that you can shape-shift. Even if it would freak him out, at least you’d get this burden off your back. Plus, he said he liked you no matter what you looked like, so why won’t he like you as an angel?

Before you could enter the café you heard your name being called in the distance. You looked around to see Taekwoon running toward you.

Where has he been? You wondered.

He stopped as he got closer to you. His expressions were confusing. His face was unreadable. You thought he’d ask about your condition but he didn’t.

- I need to talk to you.

- What is it?

- Not here.

- You’re making me worry. What is it?

- Come with me.

He said as he pulled your wrist.

- Where are you taking me?

- Home.

 

You aura started vibrating violently. Why is he taking you home? Why is being so rough with you?

You entered his house from the back door being pulled by him. He took you upstairs to his room and closed the door.

- Why did you bring me here?

- I want to show you something.

His expression was dark. Is this the same person that kissed you shyly yesterday? Is this the same person who was pouting this afternoon and whining because he was hungry? He looked scary and you weren’t sure what to think.

- What is it? You asked.

- First, can you give me my diary please?

- You dragged me here to ask me to give you your diary?

- Just give it to me and I’ll explain everything.  

You were so annoyed by his baffling behavior. You moved toward his desk, opened the second drawer and took the diary out. You went back to hand it to him. His expression made you realize what you just did.

How were you able to locate the diary when you’ve never seen him put it there? He never told you about it or showed it to you. How were you supposed to locate it so quickly when you’ve never seen him use it in the first place?

Now you had a lot to explain..

- Who are you? He asked. He was staring at you and you were starting to get scared.

- What do you mean? You decided to play a fool for as long as you could.

- You heard me. Who are you?

You didn’t say a word.

He sighed.

- Ok. I’ll tell you then. I went to your house because I wanted to check on you after you disappeared. But…

HE WENT WHERE? You were starting to freak out but tried to remain calm.

- But they told me nobody moved in a while ago. Nobody moved in in 3 years.

- Let me exp..

- I am not done yet. He almost yelled, and you retreated a couple of steps to the back.

- You said you lived 2 blocks away from here, then said you lived 1 block away only. You knew about my injury before I could tell you about it. You knew about the renovations of the park while you weren’t living here yet. You knew my name before I even met you. How do you explain all that?

- I told you our neighbors told us about the park and..

- STOP LYING! He yelled. The only people living in that building are the owners of the bakery and they said they haven’t shown anybody around the area, ever.

- You probably went to the wrong add..

- How do you explain this then? He said as he waved his diary. How did you know where I put it?

- I saw you pu..

- STOP IT. He said as he threw the diary to the floor.

You were shaking in fear. He took a deep breath and then said: Are you stalking me?

You were silent again. So he yelled at you: Are you stalking me (Y/N)? Is that even your real name?

- Taekwoon, I can explain.

- Don’t say my name. How did you get into my room without me seeing you, huh? Do you have a habit of breaking into people’s homes?

- Taekwoon please..

- I SAID DON’T CALL ME AGAIN! Everything you said is a lie, why would I even listen to you? How do I even trust you when you know everything about me, the most private details without explaining how?

- Taekwo..

- I thought I liked you. No, I liked you. I really did. Now.. now I can’t trust you ever again. His eyes were getting teary.

You were both silent for a second.

- Why did you do this to me? Huh? WHY? What have I done to deserve this? All these lies!

You were sobbing.

- Please just listen to me

- Get out!

- But..

- You heard me, get out.

You lowered your face as tears flowed down your cheeks.

- Take the back door, and don’t come here again. I don’t want to see you.

You were facing him now.

- Taekwoon, just listen to me.

- I am done listening to lies. Just leave. He said as he opened the door of his room, waited for you to leave and slammed the door behind you.

It was all over..