Chapter 14

Listen to my heart

Taekwoon entered his room and locked the door. He looked around to see any trace of you entering his room but everything was as he left it. The bouquet was still on the desk, and so was the card. He sighed in disappointment and laid on his bed, staring aimlessly at the ceiling. He stayed like this for a couple of minutes before deciding to write in his diary so he jumped off bed and picked up his diary. That's when he noticed the red petal. He froze for a second before turning around and calling your name: 

- [Y/N]? Are you here? Please answer me! [Y/N]? 

 

You stood, hiding in the corner of his room, watching him trying desperately to get you to show yourself to him. But you didn't. You had to stop yourself from exposing your hideout to him. You didn't know what turned you into this harsh creature you are now. How could you watch him call your name in pain and not show yourself? You didn't know. All you knew was that this relationship is impossible and you shouldn't mislead him any more. 

By now he was getting frustrted. 

- I know you're here! Why are you doing this to me? Why did you leave this petal if you're not going to show yourself to me or answer my pleads? 

 

No, don't do it. You told yourself regardless of the pain mounting your whole being. 

- Just answer me! Tell me why! I am sorry. [Y/N]! I am sorry for being so harsh on you. I was stupid. I am stupid for letting you go. Please come back to me! 

 

He almost begged and your heart was hurting so much seeing him like this. All you could do was walk in his direction and touch him gently and you knew he could feel it. You touched his face and he didn't move. He closed his eyes and let your invisible hands touch his face freely.

- I am sorry. He whispered. You stopped what you were doing.

- Forget me. You faintly said. Being able to hear you he knew you've shown youself so he opened his eyes, but you were gone. You wanted him to lose hope of finding you again. This relationship was not meant to be and you didn't want him to cling to it anymore. You didn't want to see him in pain. 

- [Y/N]? 

He sighed when you gave no answer. He put the diary back in the drawer and held the bouquet in his hand for a second before throwing it across the room. He immediately regretted it and picked it up along with the card. 

- But I don't want to forget you. He whispered to himself, but you weren't there to hear it.

 

For three weeks he was trying to cope with the new reality of you never coming back to him. Wonshik, being the good friend he is, suggested he meets someone. 

- I know this girl who is really nice and kind. I think you will like her. 

- I don't want to meet anyone. 

- But she told you she doesn't want to see you anymore, didn't she?

Taekwoon remained silent.  

- I told Heeseon to meet us tomorrow. 

- What?

- I told her it's a blind date. Make sure you be there. She is a good friend. Don't mess up. 

- But I said I don't want to meet anyone. 

- I am doing this for you. Forget about her Taekwoon! Move on with your life and forget about her. 

- I can't. 

He couldn't tell him about the strange things happening to him in the past three weeks. He couldn't tell him that he can feel your presence, that you haven't left completely. But..

- Why not? You said she left you and she didn't even contact you for a month now. What are you waiting for? She is not coming back, just give up! He almost yelled. 

He then noticed the sadness in Taekwoon's eyes. Wonshik put his hands on Taekwoon's shoulders and said:

- Taekwoonah~ you're like a brother to me and I'm only saying this because I don't want you to have fake hopes.

Taekwoon sighed, looking at his friend. He could feel you there, around him everywhere he goes but he couldn't see you. Sometimes he thought he was hallucinating, that you have left forever and he was only imagining you around him. 

- Fine. I'll meet her. 

 

 

 

Dress casually and buy her flowers. Heeseon likes flowers. 

Taekwoon read the text Wonshik sent him. 

Do I have to?

He texted back. He doesn't even want to go in the first place and now he has to buy her flowers... 

YES! The flower shop isn't very far. Meet her at the cafe next to the shopping mall. Don't be late. She'll be there at 5, be there at 4:30. 

Taekwoon sighed, for the 1000 times in 3 weeks and proceeded to get dressed and get ready for the blind date. He managed to get away from his sisters' curious questions and wondering on where you have gone, and why haven't they seen you in a while. His mother asked him several times if he had done something to upset you and the other way round but his answer was always:

- No. We're fine. She said it was a family emergency and they had to leave. 

- Is she coming back?

- She still doesn't know if she can. But I hope she does. 

He couldn't lie to his mother but he did his best. She saw how withered his eyes are, how sad he is but pretended not to see anything. She wanted him to tell her himself. She didn't want to put any extra pressure on him, knowing how sensitive and fragile he can be. 

Half an hour later he was leaving the cafe and heading to the flower shop. He didn't feel like going there again, considering what happened to the one and only bouquet he bought. This reminded him of you, again. Almost everthing he does or sees reminded him of you. 

- There is no escape. He mumbled to himself. 

Seeing the sign a few feet away made him look at his watch. It's still 4 so he has plenty of time and there is no need to hurry. He started thinking about Heeseon. Will she enjoy reading books like you used to? Will she be able to make him laugh like you used to? Will she enjoy the coffee he makes like you used to? 

His thoughts were interrupted when he bumped into someone and he saw flowers scatter on the ground. 

- I am very sorry. Let me help you.

- It's ok. 

 

You looked at the person helping you collect the flowers and you thought to yourself:

- There is no escape. 

Taekwoon bumped into no one else but you, in your new 'Jaerim' form. While thinking and indulging in daydreams he had arrived at the flower shop and bumped into you at the entrance. 

- I apologize. I wasn't looking. 

You were taken aback by the fact that he was talking to you so you didn't respond. You lifted your head to find him staring at you. You didn't know what to do or how to react so you thanked him for helping you and went inside the shop. He followed you immediately. 

- Excuse me. 

You looked at him. 

- Yes?

- Haven't we met before? 

Why does he keep asking this question? You walked around the area, even entered the cafe last week and nobody recognized you. You spoke with his mother while preparing your coffee and came face to face with his sister at the shopping mall but they didn't seem to know you or know anyone who looks like you. So what makes him ask this question? 

- I am not sure. 

- But.. I'm sorry. You just look familiar. 

Trying to avoid any more questions you said: 

- If you got flowers for your girl on New Year's Eve or Valentine's Day from our shop then we probably met here. You gave him an 'I-am-ending-the-conversation' smile and went on to mind your own business. 

He asked for a bouquet to be wrapped. You didn't know about the blind date so you were wondering if he is going to buy you flowers this time also. You were puzzled when he said the color doesn't matter. The first time he came for flowers he was very specific, five red roses in white wrapping paper. But this time he just wanted a bouquet. You were dying to know who will get this bouquet so you asked one of your co-workers to cover for you for half an hour and, thankfully, she said yes. You waited until he left and you pretended to leave, only to change forms in the changing room and invisibally follow him. 

He held the bouquet carelessly and was walking very slowly, as if he didn't want to reach his destination. His phone vibrated in his pocket so he took it out and answered: 

- Yes. I am going. Did she arrive yet? Yes. I got her the flowers. 

Your heart was slowly sinking at his words. He is meeting a girl and he even got her flowers... He is definitely over you already. Of course he is. Why would he cling to you if you won't even answer him or leave him a proper letter or show yourself to him when he almost begged you to? Of course he will move on with his life. 

He suddenly looked in your direction. You could hear Wonshik's voice over the phone but he wasn't answering. He stood there, motionless, only gazing at your direction. If you were there in your human form he would be staring right into your eyes and piercing through your soul. You looked behind you to see what exactly got his attention that he didn't even hang up. To your surprise, there was nothing worth looking at. Just the window of a store accross the street, and people passing by.  

- [Y/N]? He stretched his hand to touch you but his hand landed on mere air. 

You were shocked at his gesture. Can he see you? Then you remembered what your mother said. After being touched by him, he can now feel you, he can feel your presence around him so you moved away slowly. You kept your distance so you could still watch him without raising his suspicion.  

Wonshik's voice drew him from his dreams and he picked up his phone again: I'm sorry I dropped my phone. I'm going now. 

He put his phone in his pocket, headed to the cafe and you followed. A few minutes later he arrived, chose a table for two and waited, and so did you. You scanned every single girl that entered the cafe and your heart stopped when one of them approached him. 

- Jung Taekwoon? 

He stood up abruptly. 

- Are you Park Heeseon? 

The girl smiled and nodded shyly, tucking a  of hair behind her ear. She was beautiful, you thought to yourself. While your previous form was just an average girl, this one was rather pretty. But looking at his face allowed you to know that he wasn't very impressed and you smiled to yourself. 

- This is for you. He said as he handed her the flowers. 

- Aw! Thank you very much. They're very pretty. She said, admiring the bouquet, while he ordered coffee. 

- Two caramel macchiato please. 

- Oh no wait. She interrupted. I don't like coffee. 

She didn't just say what you thought she did! 

- You don't like coffee? He asked, astonished. He never thought anyone could possibly not like coffee, forgetting that people have different tastes. 

- No. 

- I'm sorry. What do you like to drink? 

- I'll take green tea. I'm on a diet. 

 

They slowly started chatting about random things, introducing themselves to each other and sipping their drinks. The 30 minutes break was over and you had to go back to the flower shop. You didn't want your co-worker to be in trouble for letting you leave so you flew to the flower shop and left them at the cafe. 

 

You arrived, changed into your uniform and busied yourself with wrapping bouquets and answering delivery calls. You were dying to know how things are going for Taekwoon and the girl so you decided to fly there in your 10 minutes break. You can do that, you thought to yourself. 

Once you got there you regretted it. They were leaving. He called a cab for her and they appeared to be exchanging numbers before she got into the cab and left. From the look on his face you could tell he liked her. He looked happy and it made you sad to see him happy around someone else. Again, he was gazing in your direction. You looked behind you and again you found nothing worth staring at. You stood a little bit far away from him but he could still feel you. How?

He was now going back home and you had to go to the shop before your break was over. All you thought about was how happy he looked. You reminded yourself that his happiness came first. All you caused him was pain and you should stop and let him live his life normally.