Chapter 4

Listen to my heart

You came for your second day of free coffee. Taekwoon wasn't around, and you didn't know if it's ok to ask about him at this stage. You grabbed your coffee, thanked his sister and sat in your usual place. A few minutes passed before you saw Taekwoon enter the cafe with a bag in his hand. 

 

- (Y/N)! You're here already! He said excitedly, waving at you. 

You signaled him to come sit with you but he said: I'll grab my coffee and be right there. 

You nodded and watched him make his own coffee in a delicacy that amazed you. 

 

He grabbed his coffee, still clutching the bag and sat on the chair facing you. He put his coffee on the table and kept the bag on his lap. 

- How are you today? He asked.

- I'm fine. I was surprised when I came in and didn't find you. 

He blushed and then said: I was taking care of some business. 

- Ah, for your parents? You asked.

He nodded and then took something out of the bag and handed it to you. 

 

"Sense and sensibility"

 

- I passed by the bookstore and got two copies of this book. I.. I thought you'd be interested in reading it.

He was silent for a second: and maybe you'd like to discuss it with me when we're done reading?

 

You were taken aback by the quick progress of events. A couple of days ago, all you wanted was Taekwoon's acknowledgement. You dreamt about him making eye contact with you by coincidence. You wanted him to talk to you or just pass by you as a physical being. But now things are taking a better turn. He's chatting with you, he's looking forward to seeing you, he bought you a book to read and got himself a copy of the same book so you can discuss it together when you're done reading! 

 

You were too happy to comprehend everything going around you. For a second you suspected that this whole thing is a dream. A dream that your mother is putting you through to see that the life of humans isn’t as perfect as you thought it was, and you were a bit scared. But before you could drown more into negative thoughts you collected your attention and focused on the delightful life you’re enjoying, where everything you ever wanted was right here in front of you.

 

Due to your sudden thoughts, you still haven't reached for the book. 

- Does this make you uncomfortable? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to annoy you. Taekwoon said, and sounded very concerned. 

 

You grabbed the book and shook your head: not at all! I really like reading and I'm thankful that you actually got me a book. You smiled at him. 

- I'll let you enjoy the book. I have to meet some friends and then we have a football match so I guess I'll see you tomorrow? 

 

You were hoping he'd spend more time with you but you remembered how delightful it is to watch him play football and you remembered that you could go watch him play so it was less annoying for you. And the fact that he wants to see you tomorrow gave you butterflies so it was a win-win situation. 

- Sure! I'll definitely enjoy reading my book. I'll see you tomorrow then. 

 

He waved to you, handed his book over to his sister and then waved to you again on his way out. As soon as he left, his sister approached you, grabbed a chair and sat facing you. 

- (Y/N)~ 

- Oh! Hi.. 

- Are you enjoying your free coffee? 

- Yes. You said as you felt your cheeks turn hot. It somehow made you feel uncomfortable and she could sense it. 

- No no~ that's not what I meant. I'm really glad you're enjoying it! It's the least we could give you after what you did the other day. Please don't be bothered by what I said. 

 

You sighed internally: Thank you so much! It was nothing and offering me coffee for a week was too much but I really like it and I like coming here too. 

She got closer to you as you uttered your last sentence: That's exactly why I'm here. 

You looked at her, confused. 

- Do you.. Um.. In any possible way, happen to like our Taekwoon? She asked.

 

You blushed and you could feel heat buildup in your whole body. You tried to look away but she still caught you and her eyes met yours. 

- There is nothing wrong about liking him. But I have a few requests to make. 

 

You looked at her without saying a word. 

- Taekwoonie.. Is a very sensitive boy. Being the youngest and the only boy, we weren't very close to him and this made him a little bit shy around people. Well, very shy. He was in a relationship a while ago. Like all boys his age, he had one or two girlfriends but they broke his heart in a way or another. We weren't very helpful and he was on his own but after the last time we decided to have his back and be a little more protective of him. I won't get into more details but what I'm trying to say is: if you happen to like him, just make sure you don't break his heart... I'm not threatening you or anything, I am not very good at expressing myself but I just want to make sure our baby brother doesn't get hurt again. 

 

As you listened to her, you corrected a couple of mistakes she made while talking about Taekwoon. He had 3 girlfriends. They did not all break his heart, only Soyeon did. The last thing you’d ever consider doing is hurting Taekwoon or causing him pain.

 

- I.. I really like Taekwoon but I am not sure if he likes me. But I’d never do anything that would hurt him.

- Well, I am not sure but I could say he is starting to like you.

- I… is he?

She smiled and said:

- I’ll leave that to you to find out on your own. Taekwoon would get really mad if he knew I talked to you. So keep that as our little secret, ok? She said as she left you in a mess.

 

So she thinks Taekwoon likes you? Well, he looked excited to see you come every day for coffee and he even got you a book but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he likes you. He might like you as a friend or something.

 

You shook the thoughts of your head as you left the café and started roaming around the area. The negative thoughts were back now that you were alone. You considered asking your mother on why are things taking such a good turn rapidly. You were definitely excited about you and Taekwoon but your aura won’t stop vibrating and it bothered you. You could see no harm coming your way but you felt something wasn’t right.

 

Your legs, unconsciously, took you toward the playground where Taekwoon and his friends played football. You hid behind the corner of a close building and decided to shift into your angelic form so Taekwoon won’t see you coming. You entered an abandoned alley and switched back to your original form and went back to the playground to watch Taekwoon.

 

No words could describe how enchanting Taekwoon looked while playing football. You couldn’t deny how fascinated you were with his physical appearance. While not being the most muscular guy around, he was definitely the most handsome, most attractive, most charming…

 

That’s when you could feel your heart drop. One of the opposite team’s players kicked Taekwoon’s leg instead of the ball and he fell to the ground in pain. You wanted to run to him but you couldn’t. You couldn’t bare see him in pain and you couldn’t risk being exposed in public. His friends ran to him, helped him stand up and drove him to the hospital, and you followed.

 

The doctor said his leg wasn’t broken but he will have to put it in a cast. It will take up to two weeks to fully recover and he wasn’t allowed to move until then. As much as you were relieved that it wasn’t broken, as much as you felt bad for seeing Taekwoon in this state. His sisters helped him climb the stairs to his room, changed his clothes and put him in bed.

 

You wanted to be with him at moments like this. Not in your original shape, but as a human being. But you couldn’t. You’ll be faced with a lot of questions: why are you here at night? How did you know something was wrong with him? And you didn’t want to seem too clingy to him. You said you’ll see him tomorrow and you will. You had to bare it for the night and stay by his side, invisibly.

 

You’re now in his room watching his mother ruffle his hair. You envied her. You longed to touch him, his hair, his face. You watched him fall asleep on her lap. She put him comfortably in his bed, pulled the comforter over him and kissed his forehead before leaving the room. You stayed there in the darkness observing him and dying to touch him, but you decided to leave before you lose control and wake him up to the physical you in his room.

 

The next morning, you were the first customer to enter the café. You saluted his sister and pretended to know nothing about Taekwoon. You took your coffee and sat at your usual table, took your book out and started reading. You were waiting for the right moment to ask about him but then his sister approached you.

- How are you today?

You looked up at her and answered: I am doing fine. Thank you! What about you?

- I am good too.

You were both silent for a second. Then she said: Aren’t you going to ask about Taekwoon?

You were surprised by her question. It was very direct and you felt your face heat up quickly.

- I.. I was going to.. but  

- He is in his room. He hurt his leg yesterday and the doctor said he shouldn’t be moving around.

You did your best to look surprised.

- Oh my god! Is he ok now?

- Yeah, don’t worry. It’s not broken.

You sighed in relief.

- Can I see him? You asked, cautiously.

- Let me ask him first.

- Sure..

- Come with me.

She led you toward the stairs and up to his room. She then knocked the door and asked you to stay outside until she gets his permission to let you in.

- Thank you. You said to her and she smiled and nodded.

 

You entered the room after he said yes and you saw him sitting in bed waiting for you to come in. His sister excused herself and left the two of you alone in his room.

You were both avoiding each other’s eyes. You have been to his room before but not as a girl, a human girl and it was awkward being alone in a room with Taekwoon while he can see you.

- Have a seat please. Pull the chair over there.

You did as you were told and pulled the chair close to his bed and sat down facing him.

- Do you feel better now?

- A little bit.

You were both silent again. You didn’t know what to say so you remained silent.

He asked: did you start reading?

- Yes. I just started. Did you?

- I am half way through. He giggled. I am not allowed to move so I’ve got nothing else to do but read.

- But your injury isn’t very serious, is it?

- Yeah but the doctor said I should be very careful if I want to keep playing football so I am not allowed to move a lot. I guess I’ll die in boredom.

You let out an “Ah~” and then he said: But.. how did you know it wasn’t serious?

BUSTED, AGAIN!

You cursed yourself internally and swallowed hard before saying: your sister said it wasn’t broken so I assumed it isn’t very serious.

He nodded and awkwardness broke in again. You should be more careful, you thought to yourself. You’ll ruin everything. You’d freak him out if you keep saying things you’re not supposed to know.

One of his sisters came into the room with a tray of food.

- Oh! I didn’t know you had guests. Ah~ That’s why mom sent me over with 2 pieces of cake!

She saluted you: (Y/N)~ You’re here! How are you?

- I am good, thank you.

- This is for you and Taekwoonie.

She handed you the tray and then said: if you need anything else let me know. She then left and closed the door.

You handed Taekwoon his plate and you both started eating your cakes in silence.

- I have a suggestion. You initiated.

He looked at you: what is it?

- What if I.. Um.. never mind.

- No, go ahead. What did you want to say?

- I.. I wanted to suggest that we read the book together. Since you can’t come out, I can come here and we can read the novel together and so.. but.. it’s ok if you don’t want to.

- I’d love to!

- Really? I don’t want to bother you.

- Not at all!

- That’s great! But I should read more now since you’re already half way through.

He laughed and said: I won’t give you any spoilers though.

You both laughed. You excused yourself and decided to leave when his parents came in. They wanted to spend time with him and you thought it would be better if you left them alone.

That night, your aura was vibrating again but you ignored it as you spent the next couple of hours reading the book he gave you and taking notes of things you wanted to tell Taekwoon in your discussion session tomorrow. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

Again, thanx for reading my story! hope you're enjoying it ~ ♥