Chapter 11

Listen to my heart

Two days have passed since you had that little talk with Taekwoon at the hospital. You hung around the whole time, not wanting to risk losing him again and wanting to know if the time was right for you to meet up with him and execute the confrontation plan. He was slowly recovering. His injuries weren't serious but he was still weak, having inhaled so much smoke. 

 

You waited for two more days before you paid him a visit at the cafe. 

- [Y/N]! Long time no see! Where have you been? One of his sisters hugged you tight. 

- I'm sorry. I had to leave for a couple of days with my parents. 

- Where did you go? She asked. 

- We.. we had to visit some relatives in a different city. 

- Oh.. I hope you enjoyed the trip. She smiled at you as Taekwoon came down from his room and she left you two alone and went back behind the counter. 

 

- Hi. He said. 

- Hi. You couldn't look him in the eyes. You were so nervous, but you also missed him so much and you were afraid it would show on your face. 

- How are you? 

- I am fine. What about you? Do you feel better now? 

He smiled. 

- Yes I am better now.

His sister yelled from behind the counter:

- Hey! Don't you miss her? Why are you acting like strangers?

You blushed heavily, and so did he.

He hadn't told his family about what happened. But.. why? Why didn't he tell them that he found out about your lies and broke up with you? Why do they still think you're dating him?

He looked at her, embarrassed, and said:

- Of course I miss her.

He put his arm around you, pulled you closer to him and said:

- That's why I'm taking her somewhere else. Call me if you need anything.

He looked at you and said: Let's go. 

 

As soon as you were out of the cafe he pulled his arm back and the awkwardness was back. You walked together, your hands brushing without touching. You missed the times he held your hands as you walked side by side. You wanted to hold his hand right now but you couldn't. You had to keep in mind that you are here to confess to him, you are not going out on a date with him. You had to remind yourself that you lied to him, that he probably hates you but is only giving you a chance to speak because he felt guilty. 

Having remembered the sole purpose of this walk, you sighed audibly. He turned and looked at you. 

- Where do you want to go? 

- We can sit around anywhere. 

- How about the park? 

- That would be good.

The park was where you met him the first time. It was where you saw him being bullied by older boys and used your powers to scare them off. It was the perfect place for your confession so you felt slightly relieved. You arrived at the park, chose a bench and sat down next to each other, but keeping a distance and looking in different directions.  

 

The silence lasted for a couple of minutes before you decided to start talking: 

- I am sorry I lied to you. 

He looked at you. 

- I am sorry I yelled at you without giving you the chance to speak. 

He was making things harder for you. He was the sweetest person ever. Although he was very harsh with you the other day, you knew it wasn't the real him. After all, you were there the whole time. You watched him grow up to be the perfect boy he is now. You knew him more than he knew himself and you knew he would apologize to you. 

- I didn't mean to lie to you, but I had no other option. But now I will tell you the truth. I have one request though..  

- What is it? 

- Don't interrupt me. And don't ridicule anything I say, no matter how senseless it sounds, would you? 

- Sure. I owe you that. I'm all ears. 

You cleared your throat: 

- I don't live a block away. I don't even live in this town. 

- I know. 

You glared at him and he said: Sorry, I forgot. Go on please.. 

You took a deep breath and then continued: 

- I know you since you were almost 9? maybe. I know everything about you, well, almost everything. I know your friends, your hobbies, your favorite food, your girlfriends.. I know about your birth mark, the injury you had when you were ten, the test you hid from your parents when you were in seventh grade.. 

But I am not a stalker.. I just...I happened to be there.. 

You avoided the puzzled stares he was giving you and continued. As you recalled all those memories, hot tears started flowing down your cheeks. You were very emotional but you also knew how frightening this sounded to him. You, the person he met only a few weeks ago, knew about things his own parents might not know about, ever. 

- We met here more than 10 years ago, do you remember? You were on your bike and bullies pushed you down your bike and then.. and then a strong wind blew them and they fell to the ground. 

You looked at him: 

- Do you remember? 

He was looking at the ground under his feet, his eyes wide-open. He was trying to comprehend what you said but he couldn't. It was so difficult for him to understand that you were there when that happened. 

- Taekwoon.. Do you remember? 

He left his head slowly. 

- Yes. I do. 

- I was there when it happened. 

- How? He looked at you. I don't remember seeing you. 

- Because you didn't. You wiped your tears away. 

- [Y/N].. I said I'll listen and I promised not to interrupt you or ridicule you but.. this doesn't make any sense. 

- I know it doesn't make sense. But it's the truth. 

- What truth? That you have been with me all this time without me knowing it? How? I can't find a logical explanation to you being around me without me being able to see you. 

 

You stood up, held his hand and said: 

 - I need to show you something. 

Before he could object, you were almost running, dragging him behind you. You arrived at the cafe, took the back door and climbed up to his room. 

- Why did you bring me here? [Y/N].. I don't understand anything... 

You locked the door and stood facing him. 

- Taekwoon.. I am.. I am not a human. 

He stared at you for a second and then let out a loud laugh. He turned around and sat on a chair then turned to talk to you. 

- Are you kidding me? Did you make all this up to end it with this joke? This is really impressive. I almost believed that you were there. I was starting to think that you are a ghost.. or some kind of a demon. 

- Will you please listen to me? I am not a human.. I am not allergic to strawberry. I've never had burgers in my life, nor coffee, nor anything else. I don't.. I don't eat.. or drink. I don't get sick. I don't really need to sleep.

- What are you then? 

- Look behind you. 

- Is this some kind of a trick? He turned around to find nothing. You took the chance and shape-shifted.  

- I don't see anyhting. He looked around and couldn't find you. The door was still locked but you were not there. 

- [Y/N]? Where did you go? Are you hiding? [Y/N]?

- I am right here. You appeared behind him and he almost fell off the chair in shock. 

- Wha..Where..Uh..I don't..

- I told you not to ridicule me and to just listen.

- What..What are you? 

You decided to show him. Yes. You'll show him what no human has ever seen. An angel, in its full glory. 

You took a deep breath and closed your eyes. 

- [Y/N]? 

It was painful. Very painful. You could either be a human or an angel. But being a human with an angel's wings was a state in between and this caused your body to be in so much agony. But you were determined to show him, and for that you had to endure the pain. You could feel your wings spring out of your back. Pure, white wings came out from behind your back and he was in awe. 

- What.. what is this? What are you? 

- I am an angel, Taekwoon. Can't you see? 

He was speechless. The closer you moved, the further he drew back. He was trying to keep a distance. He was scared, frightened. You pulled your wings back, the pain tearing your muscles apart. You collapsed on the floor in exhaustion. 

He moved closer to you, now that you were on the floor, breathing heavily. 

- [Y/N]..? He called your name. You stood up, still tired from the transformation. You leant on his bed for support as he stood there watching you in silence. 

You sat on the edge of the bed. It took you a couple of minutes to gather your strength and break the silence: 

- I was there because I am an angel. When I first saw you I knew I'd want to be with you forever. I wanted to know you more so I stuck around ever since. I was there for the next 15 years. And that's when I slowly started falling in love with you. 

You looked at him to find him staring at you. 

- This.. this makes no sense. I don't know what you are. I.. I still don't understand what just happened. It must be a dream.. a nightmare.. I'll wake up soon.. He started pinching his cheeks and arms, and slapping his face. 

You stood up and walked toward him but he motioned you to stop: 

- Don't come any closer.. Stop right there.. 

- I won't hurt you.

- Just don't.. This is insane... 

- Taekwoon.. I love you. It's not my fault I wasn't born a human like you. 

- It's not my fault you were born a monster.. 

He bit his lips as soon as the word was out of his mouth.. 

You felt a hot knife cut through your body. This was more painful than the fire you went through to save his life, the burns on your body while holding him in your arms, the tearing pain in your back where your wings sprang to tell him the truth. 

A monster.. that's what he called you... 

 

If only he knew humans were seen as monsters by your people.. 

If only he could see you in your real form.. There is nothing more graceful than an angel.. 

 

Your head dropped and your tears were falling uncontrollably down your face. 

- But you said you'd love me no matter what I looked like. You said between your sobs. 

You felt warm hands on your face, wiping your tears away. 

- I did. I am sorry I called you a monster. But.. this is too much for me to comprehend. One minute you're [Y/N].. the girl I love, and the other you are this.. thing.. 

- You're right. You stood up. I am only a 'thing.' I shouldn't have.. gone through all this.

- [Y/N].. He almost whispered. 

- Taekwoon.. I came back to tell you the truth. I didn't want to leave without confessing it all to you. I knew this would be difficult for you but I am really sorry. I promised I'll never break your heart, but I will leave now with my heart broken. I don't want to make you uncomfortable so you'll never see me again. 

- [Y/N].. He faintly called your name again. 

The sound of your name coming out of his lips always did things to you. But this time, you had to neglect the butterflies in your tummy, the beating in your heart. 

- Please say goodbye to your family for me. You moved closer to him, cupped his face between your hands. He didn't resist so you brought his face closer to yours and kissed him. The taste of your salty tears mixing with the taste of coffee in his mouth. You knew this was going to be the last kiss, the last touch, the last time you'll ever have his face between your hands so you immersed yourself into it. 

The longer the kiss, the more nervous he was getting. He was still scared, confused. You broke the kiss and before he could open his eyes you were gone. 

This time, you didn't stay. You changed your shape and left.. as simple as that. 

You couldn't handle seeing him anymore. 

Nothing mattered anymore. Your sister would say I told you so .. Your mother would say I warned you.. 

But it didn't matter. For the past 15 years Taekwoon was your everything, and now you have lost it all.. 

You have lost it all ...