Chapter 10

Listen to my heart

Taekwoon's family rushed to the hospital as soon as they received a call indicating that he was hospitalized for being involved in a fire. You were there, waiting inside his room, in your angelic form, since you were unable to leave him again. 

You couldn't risk that. 

 

His mother sat on the bed next to him, observing him breathe slowly, his chest rising with every breath he took. She his hair gently and planted kisses on his forehead and cheeks. He wasn't fully awake yet. His sisters gathered around his bed and his parents sat on the chairs on the other side of the bed, all waiting for their precious boy to wake up. And so did you 

 

Almost half an hour later he was starting to wake up and the first thing he did was calling his mother who rushed to answer his faint whispers. 

- I am right here baby. Are you okay now? Do you feel any pain? 

- I am.. ok. Don't worry.. 

- Why did you do that? Why did you risk your life? One of his sisters asked. Wonshik knocked the door and entered the room when Taekwoon's mother nodded and told him to come in. 

- Is he ok now? 

- Yes, thankfully. Is your sister ok? 

- She is getting better. If it wasn't for him, we might have lost her. 

His eyes were getting teary so Taekwoon's mom stood up and hugged him, patting his back. 

- We're grateful they are both here with us now. 

He nodded then asked if it was ok to talk to Taekwoon. She said yes as she motioned to the girls to leave the two boys alone and asked her husband to accompany her to the waiting area outside the room. 

- Why did you do that? Wonshik asked. 

Taekwoon didn't answer. 

- Were you trying to punish yourself? Were you trying to get yourself killed? He asked again. 

Taekwoon hesitated and you were dying to hear his answer. 

- I.. Nobody cared about me anyway. 

- Can't you see how worried your parents are? Your sisters? Your friends? 

- It doesn't matter now. I only thought about this for a second. All that mattered later was that I save the kids. 

Wonshik sighed, knowing Taekwoon was telling the truth. He would never think about causing pain to his family. They were both silent for a while, until Taekwoon said: 

- I saw her there.. 

- Who?

- [Y/N]..

- Your girlfriend? 

He nodded. 

- But.. where is she now? Is she ok? 

- They said they found no other girls in the whole area. 

- You must have imagined it then.. 

- No! 

He was silent once he realized that he almost shouted at Wonshik. 

- I mean.. I am sure I saw her. She even told me that the kids were fine and called for help. 

- Did you ask your sisters if they saw her around or something? 

- No, not yet. But, what if she was hurt? What if she is still there but they couldn't find her? 

- I am sure she is safe. I'll go and check if you want but it's useless since they said they got everyone out. 

- I don't know.. I am so confused. I saw her but they found no trace of her..

- You must have been hallucinating. Wonshik said, teasingly. 

Taekwoon sighed: Probably. I feel so guilty now. I shouldn't have been so harsh on her. 

- Once you're out, find her and apologize to her. Give her a chance to talk and listen to her. 

- I should. I will. 

Wonshik stood up. 

- I should go back now. My mom is there with Jiwon and I need to be there with them. 

Taekwoon nodded. 

- Again, thank you for saving my sister's life. I owe you. 

Taekwoon smiled as Wonshik left the room. His parents were back in the room to check on him one last time. 

- The doctor said you just need to rest. We'll come tomorrow to take you out. Sleep now, ok? His mother said as she kissed his forehead and then left with the rest of the family. 

You were torn between staying and watching him fall asleep and between paying him a visit, in your human form. You settled for the second option because you thought he was very worried about you and you wanted to let him know that you were fine. 

You waited until the hallway was all empty, changed forms and knocked on his door. Your heart was beating so fast and you were sweating nervously. You weren't sure of how he would treat you, and once he said: Come in.. your heart dropped. 

You opened the door slowly, getting ready to be kicked out again. He was silent for a while, looking at you standing at the door, waiting for him to let you in. 

- May I come in? You said, interrupting the deadly silence in the room

- Ye..yes. He said, almost whispering. 

- How are you? You said as you sat on the chair next to his bed. 

- I am fine. 

Silence. 

- But.. how did you get out of there? I saw you but they said... 

You found yourself interrupting him: 

- There is something I need to tell you. 

- What? 

- I need to talk to you. Not now. Once you're fully recovered I'll pass by the cafe, if that's ok with you. 

- Sure.. 

You stood up. 

- I have to go now. 

He held your hand. 

- [Y/N].. I am sorry.. 

You looked at him. 

I've been so harsh on you. I didn't mean to.. 

- I am sorry too. For having lied to you... I should go. 

He let go of your hand and you took one final look at him before leaving the room. 

 

You had decided to tell him the truth.. Yes, the whole truth. You spent the night thinking about how to tell him. This wasn't an easy task. You can't just tell him: 

I am not a human, but an angel..

He will never believe you. He'll probably think that you're crazy. 

You had a couple of days to think about a proper plan, a proper way to confront him and you had to have a backup plan in case things went wrong.. and you were sure they would...