Chapter 1

Listen to my heart

You were in love with the angelic boy called Taekwoon. You loved him and cared for him that you would spend your day observing him while he was chatting with his friends or serving his delicious caramel macchiato at his parents’ café. You’ve always wanted to talk to him but that was impossible. You can’t let him see you. Not at all.  

You don’t know how long has it been since you came across Taekwoon. It feels like forever. But you know it has been 5 years since you slowly started losing your balance falling in love with him. Being distant does not help, especially when there is a girlfriend. You know all his previous girlfriends. Because he is a very quiet person he was only able to approach two girls without getting rejected. 

You were constantly watching them to make sure they don’t cheat on him or hurt him in any possible way. Of course you were jealous, and constantly in pain because no matter how much you longed to be his girlfriend, he wouldn't notice you and you couldn’t approach him or make him aware of your existence. “You come from two different worlds,” your sister would say when you'd complain to her about seeing him kiss his girlfriend or move a of her hair behind her ear and whisper “I love you” in the sweetest way possible. You longed for your hair to be touched by his gentle fingers, and your ears to be filled with his sweet whispers.

 

Today while walking around and completing people’s random conversation you passed by the café but Taekwoon was nowhere to be found. You started to worry. His sisters aren’t usually the ones running the café so there must be something wrong. You closed your eyes and concentrated on the tiny, distant noises around you. You could hear his muffled cries in the storage room. You headed to the room immediately to see him crying with his phone in hand. Soyeon decided to break up with him, finally. Although it broke your heart to see him cry like this, you were happy that the girlfriend position is no longer taken. You never liked Soyeon. Bora and Euna were much nicer and sweeter, which made you more jealous of them, but that's not the point now. You knew Soyeon was a player the minute you saw her talk sweet to Taekwoon for free coffee. How cheap, you thought. But apparently, this angelic boy provoked her and she came to the café every single day to flirt with him until you saw her kiss him in the storage room after closing time.

He was now heading to her house, so you followed. You knew she’d break his heart. There is nothing you can do but you just wanted to be there with him.

He was now knocking at her door. A guy opened the door. A much bigger guy. But Taekwoon didn’t even look at him as he pushed him aside and entered the apartment looking for Soyeon. And you just followed. 

She came out of the bedroom in her night gown. He was speechless. She broke up with him an hour ago. She texted him saying "I can't do this anymore. I'm leaving you." And now she was already in bed with another man. 

The guy held him by his collar but Soyeon motioned him to stop, “why are you here? I said I’m leaving you. Don’t you get it?”

“I came to ask why. Why did you leave me? You said you loved me!” Taekwoon said weakly.

Soyeon laughed loudly and approached him with a cynical smile on her face, “you’re so funny, you know that? I never loved you. You just looked pathetic and I was bored. Can’t blame me for wanting to have fun, can you?”

He slapped her, which triggered the guy to punch him in the face. He fell on the floor in pain and you stood motionless. You bent down to check on him but the guy kicked him in the guts and he sent out a muffled cry. You shielded him while the guy continued kicking. 

Soyeon yelled at the guy asking him to stop. She asked Taekwoon to leave threatening to call the police. He stood up slowly and looked at her one last time before leaving the apartment.

 

 

It's been two months since the Soyeon incident and you thought Taekwoon was slowly recovering, physically and mentally. You didn’t see him smile for the first 3 weeks or so. But then his sisters spoke to him and started taking a better care of him. They would let him go out with his friends instead of always taking care of the café.

It was divine watching him brew coffee and add his little touches to every order to make everybody feel special, but watching him play soccer was more divine. You were thankful that his sisters suggested that he goes out more.  

 

To you, watching over him and being around him was everything you've ever wanted. No. You wanted more. You wanted to touch him, to trail your fingers on his face, to ruffle his hair, to cuddle with him. 

Nobody was able to understand how a creature like you would fall for a human! Why would an angel waste her time falling for a human? What was so attractive in the tedious life of humans? Your mom always wondered. No matter how many times you tried to explain to her that, to you, Taekwoon was not just a human. He was your everything. His voice, his smile, his angelic face, his cute sleeping habits, his beautiful body, everything about him left you speechless. 

 

You still remember the first time you saw him. You were wandering around when you saw a boy being pushed down his bike by bullies and you ran to help him up, but of course you couldn't so you decided to punish the bullies and blew wind at them with your wings which made them fall of the bike and run away in terror. 

 

Your mom yelled at you for using your powers in public but seeing Taekwoon’s smile was all worth it. So you stuck around ever since. 

You loved how kind he is to animals, to his classmates, to everybody. He was a gentle boy whom everybody loved. He was an angel. You felt blessed to be around him. 

 

As he grew up, you became more attracted to him. You'd spend nights at his room listening to his beautiful voice singing love songs and feeling like he was singing them to you. Being invisible granted you access to almost all his activities. So you went with him to the gymnasium and were captured by his beautifully sculpted body. Everything about him was charming and you couldn't stop yourself from loving him more and more every day. 

 

But your invisibility was also the source of your pain. You still remember the nights you spent crying your heart out because you saw him have his first kiss. Your agony grew when you saw him touch his girlfriend gently and make love to her passionately. You died of jealousy when you saw him laugh with her, feed her, or just peck her on the cheeks. That's when you knew that being invisible wasn't always a bliss. 

 

By then your mother had stopped yelling at you and started feeling sorry for you. You'd ask her many times if you were cursed, "What have I done in my previous life? Was I a sinner? What did I do to deserve this?" 

Sometimes you'd think whether he's worth all this pain and agony. He was. He was worth it. If you were to meet him again and go through everything with him again, you'd do it. 

 

 

You greeted your mother and she hugged you tight the minute she saw you and she started crying. 

"Mom, I'm fine. Please stop crying." 

"Why are you doing this to me? To yourself? Just come back to us and forget about him." 

"You know I can't give up on him. I'm happy to be around him. Don't worry about me. I'm ok." You lied. 

 

She sighed, wiping her tears away.

She asked you to sit down. “I have something for you.”

You sat down and looked at her, confused.

 

“Are you sure this is what you want? This human and his life is what makes you happy?” she asked you.

You swallowed hard. She never took this topic seriously so you thought that this has to be something big.

 

“Yes. I am sure.”

 

She was silent for a minute, making you more nervous, and then she said, “Your father and I have thought about this very carefully. You have the right to choose your life and it’s our responsibility to make that easy for you.”

 

She was silent again and your anxiety just grew worse.

She looked at you one more time to make sure that you are 100% sure about the life choices you’re making.

 

“We decided to let you.. well, we’ll allow you to use a human form..”

 

You didn’t hear the rest of it. You constantly asked them to allow you, you begged for it. So to have them finally say yes was the best moment of your life.

“But you have to be careful. Don’t get your heart broken if he doesn’t accept you.”

He will. You thought to yourself. Once he knows you were always there for him he will appreciate you and love you. You were sure he will.

 

You couldn’t stop smiling for the rest of the day. You just sat there looking at the horizon and thinking about all the possible scenarios where you and Taekwoon are cuddling under the moon light or enjoying the taste of his special caramel macchiato. The scenarios were endless, but you had to wait till tomorrow for your dreams to come true.