thirteen

eventually yours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was weird. 

Maybe the air was, she thought. “It’s fine though,” Bomi replied when Eunji unconsciously let out what inside her head. She looked up, uh-ing with a frown between her eyebrows.

“What did you say?”

Bomi then copied her friend’s frown, “what did you say then?”

“Aniya, I was just,” she inhaled, “there is something weird.”

Eunji now got Bomi’s attention as she put down her phone, ditching her boyfriend’s text and positioning herself in front of her best friend.“What is it?”

Another inhale, and followed it was a sigh, a weak sigh. “I don’t know.”

Oh yeah, maybe she’s the one who’s weird, Bomi thought. The look in front of her was weird. Not like the usual Eunji. There might be something she’s worrying about, and she had no hint yet. It all was on her face. And being her best friend for years she knew she couldn’t help her, yet, at least until Eunji herself figured out what the matter was.

A thought then came, a question to be precise. Ah right, she had been holding herself for days, since that night, since the night Eunji left for him. She thought Eunji would tell her what had happened, yet she didn’t. The curiosity was reasonable, but still, it’s her best friend’s privacy, that’s why she held herself as much as she could.

But then again, a belief assured her that nothing’s wrong with being curious. She won’t harm her own friend, anyway. So, she muttered Eunji’s name, asking for attention.

“Um?”

“There are only the two us here,” she started.

“And?”

Taking a long inhale, Bomi fixed her position and asked, “isn’t it the time you should share it with me? You know, I’m curious, everyone is. And even though we’ve been staying mum doesn’t mean we don’t want to know…” she saw Eunji’s lips moved, slowly forming a thin line, “… did something happen? I mean, what happened that night? Were you … happy? Aih, why I cannot even speak like a human.” And Eunji just burst into a soft chuckle.

Yoon Bomi couldn’t help but being affected, she formed a long smile.

“Yes, I was happy.”

Knowing Eunji would continue her sentence, Bomi’s smile just got widened. She lifted her left arm, putting its elbow on the table she leaned on the back of her hand, ready to be a loyal listener.

“He made me a strange drink,” Eunji’s eyes leered to the side, recalling the awful drink she had that night, “it’s really strange, and not nice. But, he made it himself, which is …”

“… which is so nice,” Bomi finished.

Her eyes back to her best friend, and she nodded, admitting easily. “Um. I don’t expect Kwon Jiyong has that side.”

“Me either.” A small pause, Bomi put down her arm, “so, he brought you to his place?”

Eunji didn’t answer, but her smile was more than enough to be called as an answer. A chuckle escaped, Bomi knew it well, “it must be big, super big would be right, right?”

And another nod with another thin smile was created, “um. But … it’s kind of …” her smile slowly vanished, “… empty.”

“Huh?”

“His house, it feels … empty. And a little bit cold. When I was alone in his room, I feel like, um … how to say it … I don’t like it. There was that feel, as if I was left alone… as if I was always alone …” her eyes returned to Bomi’s, “it’s weird, right?”

“Aniya, I think it can happen to anyone.”

“Including him?”

Bomi nodded.

“I wonder why was it …”

The air then turned weird again. Eunji moved her gaze from her best friend to the table’s surface, she blew a weak sigh before her eyes left the wood for the sight of their living room. That room was quite big too, though not as big as Jiyong’s, but at least, there wasn’t such feel. Their house was warmer even when only two persons were inside. She wondered, why it was so different compared to Jiyong’s house.

After Jiyong closed her room, Eunji felt something strange that invited her feet to walk to the door. Yet she couldn’t do anything after. She just stayed, leaning her head on the door, breathing weakly. There was something in his eyes after he kissed her a good night, something that saddened her. If only she realized it a little bit faster.

“So,” Bomi took a glance, convincing herself to continue her sentence, “him, and you, are you … official already?”

Silence.

Two seconds. Then moving to three. And five.

Their eyes locked, time kept ticking, and Bomi noted it, it was her answer.

Knowing she just made a mistake, Bomi needed to do something, to fix it. So, her tiny laugh broke, an awkward laugh, which then invited Eunji’s frown.

“Mian…” Bomi finished with an apologetic grin.

Her smile formed again, Eunji’s.

“No, it’s fine.”

“So, what are you actually?”

A voice interrupted. Eunji lifted her gaze, and Bomi turned around, following the voice. There was their leader, standing steps away from them. Eyes weren’t friendly. Eunji’s gaze locked on hers automatically, and she could hear Bomi sighing while muttering ‘oh, come on!’

Chorong marched to them, mad, clearly. Still holding her bag and some plastic groceries, she looked as if about to crush somebody, and Eunji knew that somebody was her.

“What really are you?” she said with her stiffened jaw. She dropped all her stuff on the table, gaze still on Eunji’s and Eunji had no plan to avoid it. “I told you, he’s playing around with you. When will you realize? Oh?!”

“Eonni …” Bomi wanted to help but Eunji cut her, giving a nod that signing she could handle this.

“Well, what can I do then, Eonni? Tell me.”

“Stop! You just have to stop. Stop talking to him, stop meeting him, stop thinking about him!”

Bomi rolled her eyes, couldn’t believe what she just heard.

“And how to do that?” Eunji calmly challenged.

As if being punched on the chest, Chorong couldn’t believe Eunji just talked back at her, “What?”

“I ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter