016: WEEKLY IDOL I

Promise (약속) ~ JYP New Girl Group ~ Story: Start!

[BREAKING] JYP announces Lia's withdrawal from Promise + Promise's future plans after Wild promotions

January 27, 2015 @ 1:40 pm  
 
 
               tumblr_static_9muses_header.png
 
 

allkpop got the exclusive on this bittersweet news for all K-POP fans.

 

SEE ALSO: Former Promise member Lia is on her way to China 

 

  Today, the world woke up to sad, the beautiful leader of Promise, known as Lia, has officially withdrawn from the group after the loss of her mother just two days ago. JYPEnt. had previously stated that they would follow Lia's wishes whether they were to get on stage again or leave, so we can be happy over them sticking to their word. For Lia, we wish only the best!

 

  Now, as Promise still exists and they have 8 other members, questions were raised if JYP planned to fill the empty spot of Lia, to wish they responded, "The other 8 members of Promise were spoken to and the conclusion was they wished to remain as 8 members, honoring Lia's spot as the 9th member of their group. We also decided to follow their wishes and allowed them to make their choices, they practiced hard in hopes to be ready for future stages as 8 members."

 

  Another question that was asked, even when it was previously answered, it was who was to take over Lia's position as a leader, "As it was previously stated, Daya, who was originally the leader of Promise before debut, will once again take over. The members respond well to her and don't have problems with her leadership style, so we hope no problems will arise."

 

  To conclude, we asked what was Promise to do as 8 members now, curious to see if there was any changes in schedules or plans, we received this, "Actually, the members of Promise were quite relieved to see that all offers for advertising and appearances at shows were still up, they are working hard to choose which companies they want to work with and what shows they can appear at. Of course, we will be keeping a close eye on them, make sure they do not overwork themselves."

 

Seems like JYPEnt. is taking great care of their newest group! And in case you missed it, check out Promise's debut MV for "Wild" below:"

 


"Weekly-" Doni started, a pause of a second before his friend and co-worker joined on their signature greeting. "IDOL!" The proud of MCs of the popular show, Weekly Idol, finished, raising their arms up and striking their pose before they started to speak.

"Today, the soulless basement of level three... How could we explain this?" Doni continued, his eyes on the camera in the center of the studio, giving Deffcon, his partner in crime, to speak. "Has sprung to life." Coni said, clasping his hand in front of him and slightly leaning forward, a smile on his lips.

"Has sprung to life and has brought along a strong wind!"

"A smell of spring flowers in the middle of winter." Coni added again, as a familiar song started playing in the background, members excitedly jumping behind cameras as they realized they were about to be called.

"These spring flowers sing and dance in a y and charming way." Doni said in a mocking tone, not meaning to be offensive but silly instead, as he added the y expression of a cat pawing at the camera. The members, still behind cameras, tried to muffle their laughs before they were finally called.

"Here we have, fresh and beautiful, PROMISE!" They yelled the last part, the volume of their song going up as they walked within the camera's view. They bowed various times, making sure their gesture was seen by everyone in the studio before they walked towards the center of the studio. Their intro played, showing each member and their name, finally showing the picture of the full group. They also showed former member and leader Lia, individually and in the group picture, since they couldn't pretend she never existed.

"To the audience, *&"$3))/:!" They started and the eight members were ready, smiling and greeting together in perfect unison.

"1. 2. 3. We were promised a second chance and we promised to shine! Hello, we are Promise!" Their current leader started with the counting and the rest joined half-way. The waved with both hands, their name appearing golden letters while the effect of falling petals was placed over them. The camera zoomed in into each of the members faces, showing the name tag that rested on the left side of their chests. Their resting faces held small smiles, eyes looking all around the studio while standing in a perfect line.

"How pretty!"

"Fresh."

"They give you a fresh feeling, but..." HyungDon's eyes scanned through all of the girls, studying each of them and trying to find any flaw before he noticed something they all had in common. "Why are you in work-out clothes?" The members laughed, some stumbling on their feet before calming down. They were told to overreact to everything that was funny. Of course, their new leader, Daya could only clap to anything said and allow a small smile upon her lips. She wasn't good at lying and pretending, even if she was being paid for it.

Yes, they wore work out clothes, but they were expensive too, so they hoped it wouldn't be noticeable. But then again, they all had worn the same exact clothes and shoes. The only thing different in each was their hair and makeup, varying only to fit each one and exalt their unique beauty. "After studying various episodes of Weekly Idol, we noticed we should come wearing clothes that won't keep us from doing any activity or game, so we tried to come comfortable yet attractive." Sky explained from the center of the line, a smile on her lips as she tried to stop herself from laughing.

"So...your goal was to be attractive yet active?" Hyung Don asked, covering his mouth with a hand while his partner crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow beneath the sunglasses.

"Yes." They all agreed, nodding in unison and waiting for his reaction.

"All we will say is that if we had a segment judging the clothes our guests based on style and sense..." Deffcon started, meeting eyes with MinJoo, who looked awfully familiar to a member of Boyfriend. Even when they were only fraternal twins, they were still twins and similarities were there.

"You would have failed it the moment you walked into the premises." HyungDon finished, the effect of two red stones falling to each side of the female group as they laughed, shocked by the sincerity of the MCs.

"But why? I really like this." Angel spoke from her spot at the end of the line, the closest one to the MCs, so she looked down at them. Her face known for its icy beauty seemed to glare down at them, even when Angel really didn't mean to do that. Hyungdon placed a hand over his chest and his partner covered his arms with his hands, rubbing them as if he were cold.

"The coldness!" Some members giggled and covered their faces when a very confused Angel met eyes with them. Daya sighed softly and looked dissaprovingly at said members, she didn't support teasing between members, even if it came as a joke. One never knew how deep teasing could harm an idol or any human being, really.

"Wait, why? What did I do?" Angel looked around, confused at their reaction and looking for explanation around.

"Unnie, don't listen to them. They're joking." MinJoo told her, gently patting Angel's back in support. Daya breathed in relief and smiling softly at one of the youngest members for taking care of Angel, she couldn't always step in and protect them all, but she would try. It was good if they protected themselves from time to time too.

"Doni, we've got ourselves a new MC today?" The Promise members frowned in unison, momentarily confused until they caught onto the joke.

"MC MinJoo, we didn't know of this. PD, how come you didn't tell us?" HyunDon extended the joke beyond the cameras, glancing at the PD and raising an eyebrow. "Will we be taking a pay cut because of MC MinJoo?" Deffcon continuing, adding wood to the fire.

"Can I really be MC, PD?" MinJoo walked over to the two MCs, taking the spot between them and grinning proudly. The PD, behind cameras just sighed and shrugged, making a gesture with his hand which MinJoo took as a go ahead. MinJoo screamed in happiness and jumped on the same spot for a few seconds before calming down and addressing the PD again:

"Then may I get one of the pretty glitter microphones Bomi and Ilhoon seniors got?" She asked while cameras zoomed in the faces of confused members and shocked MCs while the PD nodded behind the cameras, covering his face as a camera caught his action.

"Coni, have we done our PD harm? Ever?" HyunDon asked, sad violins playing over them as the effect of rain was placed over them; a bright sun shining between them in MinJoo's face as she was suddenly untouchable.

"Here, MinJoo-ssi." A staff member appeared in camera range, holding various cards which were otherwise known as the script which the other two MCs knew by heart.

"Then!" MinJoo started totally brushing over the two heartbroken MCs. "Since we talked about Promise a little and got teased, now we have the Random Play Dance lined up!" She said enthusiastically, the two abandoned MCs nodding behind her as they hugged each other in solidarity. MinJoo moved over to her members again, slightly folding the script without damaging it and pretending to hold it through the whole game.

"Guys, you know our strategy!" Ace, the main dancer who made sure they practiced until AM3:00 that same morning, spoke. The two real MCs crossed their arms as they watched the eight girls gather in a circle and cheer themselves up, only wondering of what strategy they were talking about. Some whispers could be heard, but they weren't loud enough for any of the two to hear.

"Shine, shine, Promise, shine!" They finished, throwing their hands in the air and separating before Daya spoke. "Also, you can play all songs from our debut album and the special edition album. We came prepared for all songs because we thought it would be a little boring if we just performed the same song over and over, so... There's that." She said and the MCs gasped, placing their hands on their chest to gasp again, this time more dramatically.

"JYP made you come up with dances for all the songs?" While they talked, three out of the members busy reviewing the choreography they had most trouble with, respectively. Daya was making odd movements with her hands and legs, though they were actual dance moves from the choreography.

"Yes!" They all agreed at once, making the MCs jump. It was such a simple question yet they were so enthusiastic with everything. Worst of all, they seemed sincere with their enthusiasm. "There's too much energy..." HyunDon playfully complained, looking at Coni, who quickly caught up.

"Okay, this is Promise's Random Play Dance. Music, start!" Doni and Coni said, the whole studio laughing as they heard MinJoo join in while she walked around her members mindlessly. They eight members wandered aimlessly as they waited for their song to start playing, freezing for a single second when the song started playing and taking a few more seconds to find their positions as they recognized the song.

 

[Rose] Nae ttabunhan sarme jamsinama
Neon useumeul juneun danbi gata

  The name of the song appeared at the corner of the screen while the members scrambled for their positions, trying not to bump into each other and also remember their new positions. They finally found their positions as a triangle, Angel at the center and Daya shadowing her as they danced, all holding one hand up to their mouths as they had always practiced with hand microphones instead of the small cheek ones. They disliked how they made all of their voices blend and sound extremely nasal and JYP understood that, even encouraging them to always ask for hand microphones, going as far as offering to purchase them their own microphones to take to places if they wished.

[Angel] Neon maeum sok yuilhan chulguga dwae 
Neo hanaro maeiri saerowojyeo 
Hanabodan duri deo ganghajanha
Neul hamkke hamkke gayaman hae

​"They're off to a good start! Did we offer them a prize?" Coni asked, gathering the attention of a few members who stopped as the song came to a stop and changed to another part of their debut song. "What prize?" AeBi asked, looking up at the ceiling as she waited for the music to start again. She was always ready, so when Ace's voice came on, she grabbed the Ace from behind her and pushed her to the center gently, moving to her own position at the back and corner. Ace took the center and Daya, once again, shadowed the member in the center, appearing in complete camera view for her line alone before blending back into the shadows..

[Ace] Niga chokchokhi jeojeodeuneun
Niga cheoncheonhi seumyeodeuneun
I neukkimeun neoege wonhaneun
Namanui bimiriya uri dureul bichuneun

​"They didn't ask for a price? That's so bad!" Doni added, obviously teasing to try and distract them from their flawless performance. Sadly for them, they were used to talking while practicing, thanks to Angel, Lia, Daya and Ace, who always had inputs for the members as they practiced.

[Daya] Uh hot spotlight feels right
[Ace] Sungan sungan you're makin’ me high

Ijen deo gipeojineun uri dul sai
Naege heeonaolsuga eomneun neoneun you’re mine

"Guys, what do we need for the dorm?" Sky yelled from her position as Ace finished rapping and the song switched immediately after. Hearing her own voice come through the speakers, she raced to the center and all the members moved quickly behind her, inevitably leaving Lia's spot visible since they had only focused on WILD for choreography changes. It was something the fans focused on when the show finally aired and they even garnered praise for being respectful towards Lia's absence in the songs they didn't actively perform. They were thankful they weren't trying to completely erase her and Lia, back home at China, was too.

The name of their song, FEMALE PRESIDENT, appeared at the corner of the screen a millisecond before the song started.

[Sky] Urinara daetongnyeongdo ije yeojabunisinde
mwoga geureoke sosimhae wae anhae

Yeojaga meonjeo kiseu hamyeon japhyeoganeungeonga? 

"AC!" Rose said, successfully shuffling into view as Sky stood in the center, pretending to rap, but actively listening to her members speak behind her. Daya clicked her tongue in dismay and shook her head. "That can be fixed." She quietly said, placing both hands at her ways in sync with the other members as Sky's part finished.

[Rose] Geuaeege dagaga [Rose] Niga meonjeo kiseuhae 
[Angel] Ije geuraedo dwae [Angel] Niga meonjeo sijakhae~ Oh-

"Aren't you guys running out of breath yet?" Doni sang, watching them discuss everything over the music and still keeping up decently. The song changed and for exactly five seconds, there was a scramble of feet and a few bumps, even a small scream of the smallest member to announce the name of the song:

"This is Cupid!" Rose screamed, bumping into MinJoo and slightly throwing her off balance which the MCs noticed, but weren't able to do anything as MinJoo sneakily blended the move with the choreography.

"Sneaky, you are sneaky, MinJoo." Doni said, leaning forward and using his fingers to make his eyes "bigger" by forcing his eyelids to open more, making Angel laugh as she took a look at him. "I'll catch the next mistake, you just wait!"

[Alice] Hwasareul danggyeo [AeBi] geochimeopsi shoot it out!
[AeBi] Unmyeonge matgyeo [Alice] jjuppyeosjjuppyeot daejima
[Angel] Hositamtam neoui bin teumeul noryeosseo
Gwansim eopsneun cheok haessjiman

"I need money for clothes!" Rose suddenly remembering how she was borrowing clothes from all of the members, she really needed the money for clothing. "That's true." Daya sentenced and gave Doni a glance.

"Call! Only four minutes more and you'll have..."

"20,000,000!" Coni yelled, Rose almost stopping her dancing to scream happily in the same spot, just like MinJoo a few minutes ago. The camera zoomed in Doni's face, a caption saying how his pockets were in risk of bankruptcy with each group that asked for prices in the show. "And Coni will contribute to the amount by paying half of that with Doni!" MC MinJoo added as she danced, finally showing some signs of fatigue when she raised her voice.

"Then, shouldn't MC MinJoo also contribute?" Coni said, laughing as the girl glared his way without stopping her dance. B.B.B. and the three tallest members, Daya, Rose and Angel, immediately dropped to the floor, crawling to their positions which caused an explosion of laughter from the MCs and some of the members.

[Daya] Neon Big Baby Baby
[Sky] I Need Some Body Body
[Daya] Neon Big Baby Baby
[Sky] I wanna get your body tonight 
[Ace] Big Baby

  Rose smiled and started the dance, her two unnies covering her up in purpose since she was the youngest and underage, two things JYP valued and enforced. They always protected their young ones. Besides, they didn't wish to give netizens a reason to hate on the group, so they were very mindful of everything their group and each individual member did. Luckily, they had Daya as a leader now and she was very strict with everything she did and her surroundings, it was quite good for the group and company itself.

 Doni suddenly disappeared, just as the members on the floor stood up from the floor and started with the main choreography; he couldn't have them succeed, so he took the matter into his own hands. He moved over to the computer, clicking on Wild and letting it play from the beginning to suddenly switch to B.B.B. again, the floor part. He switched to FEMALE PRESIDENT, then to B.B.B.; WILD, then B.B.B.; PANDORA, then B.B.B.; basically, everything then B.B.B. until the members struggled to get up from the floor, yet Doni had to give it to them.

"Promise, success!" He said, finally walking back into the bright lights to greet the sweaty and exhausted idols. He was beyond amazed, also suffering for his money, but very amazed. They danced to songs they would probably never promote and did amazingly well. Without a doubt, they were JYP material and despite their sudden setback at the loss of a member, Doni was sure they would bounce quickly.

The members celebrated with loud cheers and some jumped to hug each other. A few giggled darkly, knowing they had commited a few mistakes, but somehow the MCs didn't notice.

"Since you did so well and just asked for shopping money..." Doni started.

"What an odd request..." Coni added.

"Chicken and pizza?" MinJoo emerged, suddenly energized and full of life again. 

"Chicken and pizza!" Doni said, imitating what he thought MinJoo would sound like when excited over something. Obviously, teasing MinJoo was the focus of the program, sadly she was untouchable when it came to teasing and they didn't know that. She was having a blast.


Author's Note: Comment away~