010: We are the Promise

Promise (약속) ~ JYP New Girl Group ~ Story: Start!

JYP Entertainment's Promise hold a successful Debut Showcase in front of 1,000 fans + gift fans with signed albums

January 20, 2015 @ 11:09 pm  
 
 
               ninemuses_dance_practice.jpg
 
 

JYP Entertainment didn't joke around when he said Promise would be special.

 

SEE ALSO: [Album Review] Promise - 'Second Chance'

 

Five days prior to their debut, the rookie nine-member girl group amazed their fans in their much awaited debut showcase.

 

The group composed by nine members: Lia, Daya, Angel, MinJoo, Ace, Sky, AeBi, Alice and Rose, showed up by standing up from different seats from across the theater and getting led up the stage while singing their song Pandora. First member to get on the stage was Ace, the group's main dancer, and she danced the choreography while she waited for the other members to join her.

 

They performed songs by JYP and miss A besides the six songs from their mini-album. The members also had time to send messages to their families through videos, causing many tears to be shed by the members and MCs of the event -Got7's Jackson and Kara's YoungJi- .

 

The event finished after the members performed their debut song Wild. The members stood in a line and made their promise at the public. Just after the lights turned off, and the public was standing up from their seats, MinJoo appeared on stage and asked fans to check under their seats. Under the seats, they found what seemed to be re-packaged albums with three extra songs and they also happened to be signed by all nine members of Promise.

 

Stay tuned for any possible updates to come regarding this report!


 

The leader woke up to the sound of her alarm. She considered turning off the alarm and going back to sleep but as a leader, she couldn't a afford that. She moved slowly, wincing at the pain she felt all over her face. She had been crying the night before, and even when it was for a few minutes, her face decided to show it to the world. She heard the door of her room opened and steps, were all the members up?

 

"Ji-Eun, Lia. Get up." The manager spoke, and Lia remembered what day was; the day of their showcase. Lia sat up, sighing and running a hand through her tangled hair. She opened her eyes and they went wide. She immediately went for her bed covers, pulling them up to cover her body and part of her face.

"Oppa!"

"Why is there a camera here?!" Ji-Eun squealed from her own bed as a camera zoomed into her face. Lia took a few seconds before composing her self and bowing from her bed.

"Hell-hello." She stuttered, her sight was quite blurry but she could see a few familiar faces from the JYP staff. Why were they filming this? Wouldn't that harm their images.

"Lia and Ji-eun, you have been given the first mission of your showcase diary: Awaking a lazy Promise." Was that a PD? Why weren't they informed that someone would be filming this? She could have put on some makeup before going to bed, she could have also avoided crying, she could have avoided opening Jaehyo's package and she would have her normal beautiful face. Not that she was ever ugly.

"What is the mission about?" Ji-Eun asked as she stood up slowly from her bed, she was wearing some decent sleep wear unlike the leader. Ji-Eun's hair was slightly tangled; parted at the middle and running down until it covered most of her chest and back in loose black waves. Her sleep wear consisted of an U-Kiss black shirt and some shorts with polka dots. Her socks were probably the most embarrassing of the outfit. Wearing a purple sock that reached her ankle and a yellow one that reached her knee. But was she the visual? Nope. So she couldn't care less. Looking gorgeous would be left to Alice.

"Your mission consists of waking up the remaining seven Promise members." The PD shortly explained, handing Lia a teal envelope with a golden seal.

"What's the twist?" Lia asked. She could be half asleep but she was nothing near stupid. She broke the seal gently, taking out the small card inside.

"Yet you must do it under five minutes, the clock has been running since the moment the camera crew came in." Which meant they had three minutes? Two minutes or so? The thought of failure made Lia jump from bed and spring past the camera crew, leaving a dazed Ji-Eun behind.

"Am I...am I supposed to follow?" She asked, pointing to herself while looking at their manager. He held the urge to roll his eyes and made a gesture to the girl that was an amateur in reality shows.

"Yes, Ji-Eun. Go." He whispered. What she didn't know was that her cute moment of disorientation would label her as the cutest member of Promise. Even after the order, she didn't move. She looked around the room, blinking.

"Where's unnie?" She asked, her eyes on Daya's tidy bed. Not knowing that it was Daya the one who opened the door to the crew. Daya was one sly variety queen. She just knew that everything would be filmed from the day of their showcase, so all she did was wake up twenty minutes before three o'clock and fix herself up before surprising the camera crew at the door. There was no way in hell she would let anyone see her without some eyeliner. But seeing that she had bring laughs, she changed out of sleepwear and put on a I woke up like this shirts, mismatched socks and pulled her caramel colored hair up into a side ponytail. All for the fame of her group, that's all she could do. She also made sure to be holding Emperor Wu when she opened the door, for that crazy cat lady vibe.

"She's bathing the cat." What time was it? Four-something and she has the magnificent idea of bathing the cat at this time. That lady needed help.

"Oh... Should I start doing the mission now?" She asked slowly, running her hands through her hair. At the nod she received, she took a step forward and climbed Daya's bed over to the other side.

"Excuse me..." She whispered at the camera crew, thinking that the microphones wouldn't catch it before slithering her way out of the room and waddling over to the closest room: the bathroom.

"Wrong room, Angel." The PD called out. She stood at the arch of the door, looking around with a doubtful frown for a few seconds, turning around and walking towards AeBi, MinJoo and Alice's room.

 

"Ten seconds left. Ten, nine, eight, seven..." Lia groaned loudly as she tried to get Rose out of bed. Grabbing the youngest by the arms and jerking her into a sitting position. The youngest whined, flipping her hair away from her face and sighing.

"What...?" She asked softly, a hint of annoyance in her voice, she opened her eyes and looked around in confusion. She didn't have reaction to the cameras but her small lips slowly curled into a exhausted smile. Rose leaned forward and rested her forehead against the leader's stomach to cover her face.

"Three, two and one. Is everyone up?" The cameras cruelly zoomed into the faces of the half-asleep members. While some looked exhausted and wrecked, others looked adorable. The PD checked each member as he followed Rose and Lia out of the room and into the living room. The remaining seven members were standing in a crooked line, some trying to keep their cool while other were too sleepy to even realize the position they were in.

There was a parade of mismatched socks and messy buns. Lia still thanked God that they were all dressed. What if it had been summer? What if one of them slept in her underwear or worse, ? Lia pushed the random thoughts out and walked to the members. Succesfully sneaking into her usual position between MinJoo and Alice. The three tallest members having to someway level all the member's height by standing in certain key positions in the line. They had to stand two steps back from the rest of the members, working on the camera angle to make it seem as the smallest member was quite tall herself.

Poor, poor MinJoo. She was very close to being a dwarf if she stood besides the youngest member. Actually, she was a little under the average height for Korean women, it was the tallest members the ones that were somehow messed up. At least, that's what she told herself to feel better. Regardless of what she thought of her height, she was gorgeous and she had been reminded by Kwangmin the night before. Aye. Don't think go around thinking ill, Kwangmin had sent her a congratulatory message for her debut the night before and he happened to mention how beautiful she would sure look...

MinJoo did not blush while reading it...

Didn't...

That didn't happen...

No blush...

Damn it! She couldn't even think about it without blushing now.

Talking about MinJoo, she was extremely excited for today. She had even prepared a surprise for her fans, with the help of the manager and brother. She would inform the other members since they were a big part of the surprise. They had unconsciously taken part of the surprise, so they deserved to know.

"1.2.3." Lia started, placing her hands on her abdomen while looking at the other members.

"We were given a second chance and we promised to shine." They spoke in perfect unison, bowing down and keeping their heads down for a few seconds before straightening their backs and smiling. "Hell-o! We are Promise!" They gave their greeting a cute touch by imitating the satoori of their visual, who blushed when she took note of the member's actions. She was also the first one to introduce herself:

"I'm the promise for beauty, Alice." Alice cheerfully called. She was so happy there was nothing that could bring down her humor. Her date with N still brought the brightest smile to her lips. He had treated her like a princess during the whole date, even when Alice acted up after N received a call from Dohee. How they met? She had no idea, but N didn't know of her tense relationship with Dohee and she decided she wouldn't say anything either. She wasn't jealous but she could be cautious.

N was her dream guy and there was something that told her that if she lost him, she would eventually lose herself to self-hate. Alice was confident of her looks, but she wasn't as confident in her love-life. N knew that and that was why he promised to take great care of her. She was sweet, cute and humble, all he was looking for in a girl. Of course, she was also gorgeous which came as a bonus.

"Hello... My name is HaeJi- I mean, Ace. My birth name is HaeJin, my stage name is Ace. I need to learn that, someday." She bowed and went back to her position besides Haneul, who gently nudged her shoulder and loudly cleared .

"Why?" HaeJin asked slowly, she was still quite drowsy and she had Haneul to blame. Kind of. When they returned from Infinite's dorm, Haneul decided that she wanted to rehearse her lines inside their room. Seeing the main rapper practicing so hard, made her want to practice herself. Haneul even helped with her breathing technique. HaeJin couldn't complain, even when she was still traumatized after seeing Myungsoo in his birthday suit. Haneul stopped practicing her own lines to help HaeJin with hers.

"You are the promise for...?" Lia hinted from between MinJoo and Alice, giving her a sweet yet desperate smile. "Ah. My name... I am the promise for good dances and even better dancers, Ace. In other word, I am the main dancer." She sleepily bowed again but quickly threw a dance move, letting her make up for the messy greeting.

"I am the promise for meaningful and soulful raps. Main rapper, Sky."

"I am the promise for clean vocals and beautiful high notes. I'm the main vocal, Angel."

"I am the promise for youth in our group. Big in height, small in age. I'm maknae, Rose." She was not cute, she hated cute, but for the sake of her title... She dreadfully raised her hand and flashed a v-sign beside her eye. Although she wasn't cute, her actions and outfit weren't helping her. Someone had misplaced her box of clothes while they were all moving in and apparently, it had ended up in the trash. She wouldn't recover something that was in the trash, so she just borrowed clothes from the other members for the time being. So the Pororo shirt she had borrowed from MinJoo? Was not helping much. Nor did the rainbow shorts from AeBi.

"Hello! I am the actress in Promise. My name is No MinJoo and I am desperate to finally act in a drama. If you like this face, this body and this smile~" She flashed the camera a smile followed by a wink. "PDs and producing teams, give my manager a call." She made a gesture with her fingers, pretending to shoot from them at the camera. She did give off an actress vibe, she had gorgeous hair and healthy skin. Along with her smile and forgetting her height, she was a perfect actress.

Both companies she had been under? They trained her extremely well. While one focused on her acting, the other focused on her singing and dancing. Starship had been a good company and so was JYP, so she remained loyal to both.

"My name is Daya and I am in charge of somehow...bringing laughs in Promise. Somehow..." She repeated in a whisper, a grimace on her face when she let go of her raging wet cat. "That's emperor Wu, owner of the Galaxy since birth and the cold cat between the cold cats." That part was said rather confidently, and the crew could not help but question her sanity.

"My job in Promise is to take care of every single member and push them to do their best every day. Leader, Lia." The leader gave the camera a confident and sweet smile before bowing. Her heart was aching but today was her day and she wouldn't let Jaehyo or any of their personal drama get in the way.

"Could you show the choreography for your debut song to the audience?" Between giggles of amusement from the members and screams of frustration from the main dancer in the early morning while dancing in the limited space of their living room is how they started their day. Their first day as Promise.

 

A Little More by Promise (Originally by Rainbow)

[Angel] Chwihaebeorin cheong seodureuji ma
[Rose] Bukkeureoun cheong mangseoriji ma dagawa

[MinJoo] Nareul barabwa [Ace] Kkumeul kkudeunni
[MinJoo] Naege deureowa [Ace] Chumeul chudeunni
[Lia] Nuneul gamgo slowly
Noga deureoga ije

[AeBi/Daya] Baby touch my body
 Neowa naui Party [Rose] Nareul anabwa
[AeBi/Daya] Baby rock my body
Tteollim hanakkaji [Angel] Nareul neukkyeobwa

[Alice] Deo Ah Ha
[Alice] Jogeum deo Ha Ha Ha
[Angel] Neomu sarangseureoun geudae
Soksangnyeo jwo naege
[Alice] Deo Ah Ha
[Alice] Jogeum deo Ha Ha Ha
[Angel] Neoui dalkomhan achimi ol ttaekkaji

[Sky] Swil teumi eopji Huh
Tteollineun ne nunbit
I’m having fun with you (You)
Now it’s just me and you (You)
[Angel/Sky] Jeo haneul arae nan neomaneul saranghae Uh
[Sky] Kkwang anajwo naege neol gareuchyeojwo

[MinJoo] Nareul barabwa [HaeJin] Kkumeul kkudeunni
[MinJoo] Naege deureowa [HaeJin] Chumeul chudeunni
[Lia] Meomchuji malgo deeply ppajyeo deureoga ije

[Daya/AeBi] Baby touch my body
Neowa naui Party [Rose] Nareul anabwa (Nareul anabwa)
[Daya/AeBi] Baby rock my body
Tteollim hanakkaji [Angel] Nareul neukkyeobwa
[Alice] Deo Ah Ha
 Jogeum deo Ha Ha Ha
[Angel] Neomu sarangseureoun geudae
Soksangnyeo jwo naege
[Alice] Deo Ah Ha
Jogeum deo Ha Ha Ha
[Angel] Neoui dalkomhan achimi ol ttaekkaji

[Lia] Amu maldo haji ma deureo bwa
Nae maeulmi (Maeulmi)
[Angel] Meomchuryeo haji ma
Gidaryeowatdeon i bam
You’re always on my mind Oh Yeah~

[Daya/AeBi] Baby touch my body
Neowa naui Party [Rose] Nareul anabwa [Angel] Nareul anabwa~
[Daya/AeBi] Baby rock my body [Angel] Nabwa nabwa~
[Daya/AeBi] Tteollim hanakkaji [Angel] Tteollim hanakkaji Yeah~ Oh~ Oh~[Lia] Nareul neukkyeobwa
[Alice] Deo Ah Ha
Jogeum deo Ha Ha Ha
[Lia] Neomu sarangseureoun geudae
Soksangnyeo jwo naege
[Alice] Deo Ah Ha
[Alice] Jogeum deo Ha Ha Ha
[Angel] Neoui dalkomhan achimi ol ttaekkaji

  Angel took a deep breath and slowly lowered her microphone, a small smile on her lips as she took another deep breath. This was it. Her eyes ran over the seats of the theater, soon-to-be filled with fans from all over South Korea. Her heart couldn't contain the excitement, even when it was just a rehearsal, she was giving her best. She seemed to be in a daze, a small dreamy smile on her lips when she greeted the staff members and was led by her manager down to the dressing rooms. Inside the dressing rooms, everyone quickly dispersed. Some members went to shower while others decided to get their hair and makeup done first, the point was to hurry up and not get stuck without doing anything. 

"Ace, it's your turn for the interview." The PD called, cameras approaching the main dancer slowly, trying to not disturb any of the workers around them. HaeJin hummed and looked up from her papers, she had been reading over her lines -without a rest- and she could say she felt ready for today. Unlike most of the members, HaeJin was quite relaxed.

"Is it?" She asked, a frown on her face as she placed her papers down. The stylist took a step back as she finished off with the main dancer's ponytail. HaeJin's hair was a dilemma, when she had long hair, stylist wanted her to have short hair and when she finally agreed to cutting her hair, she was told to put extensions. Those cruel Unnies could never be satisfied with anyone and their looks. 

  Ace took a deep breath and closed her eyes, her mind working against her and bringing memories of all the times she had been close to her debut but she had never been this close. She recalled how many times she went through the process of learning a choreography and practicing without rest until it was perfect and then, from out of nowhere, her debut was out of sight and she was left behind with broken promises and unfulfilled dreams. That wasn't going to happen again, she was sure and she was so happy.

"First of all, how does it feel? I mean, your debut after your colorful years of training and almost-debuts?" Ace smiled softly and shifted on her seat, shaking her head before looking at the interviewer.

"Well, can I be completely sincere? Never mind, I will answer that question with complete sincerity anyway." Ace glanced at the camera and took a deep breath before yelling...

"It was about damned time!" She was almost sure that would get cut out, actually very sure. Almost ten years of training and three times where she almost debuted. Many people turned to look at her and she cleared , her cheeks turning a deep shade of red. She had to do that, she had been dying to do so and she well deserved doing it.

"I mean, sorry for being so loud and obnoxious but you must understand us, most member of Promise have absently in the business for over ten years. While some were able to make a bit of a name for themselves, many of us stayed invisible and behind the wraps of our previous companies. Lots of deception and lies followed us for years, not because we did something wrong and neither did our former companies, it just didn't work out for a long time." She smiled, shrugging and taking another deep breath before standing up. Having the cameras follow her, the main dancer collected her first set of clothes to be worn during the showcase and explored the theater after changing her clothes.

"Where are we headed to?" The PD asked behind her and HaeJin held the curtain open for both the camera man and the PD as they stepped on the stage. HaeJin smiled and greeted everyone, bowing and waving with her hands as she walked to the center of the stage. Her heels gently clicked against the wood of the stage, her eyes traveling all over the theater while she smiled. Looking over her shoulder at the PD and smiling gently at the camera.

  This was it. She looked behind her, their introduction video playing; their faces passing and their names appearing while the instrumental for Wild played. The moment, her moment.... The Promise.

 

"Twenty minutes left! Back-up dancers, get your designated members and lead them to their places between the audience."

  Their hearts were hammering as they were dispatched across the audience. HaeJin was the first to part, having to hurry up since her seat was up front. She looked over her shoulder at Rose, the member who would sit the closest to her, the Maknae gave the main dancer a nod and a reassuring smile before disappearing between the fans. Everyone was too busy finding their own seats and settling to notice the nervous soon-to-be idols between them. 

  Lia held Alice's hand until the visual found her seat, stopping her before she walked away to give her a small gentle smile - wanting to reassure her before walking away to find her own seat. She sat between Alice and MinJoo, middle section while the mentioned members occupied the left and right wings. Lia took a deep breath and leaned back on her seat, trying to not attract the attention of anyone. 

  Daya took some time reaching her place, having took her time to make sure Ji-Eun had calmed down before leaving her. The main singer had been opening and closing the door of the bathroom for over twenty minutes, then when she was pulled away from the door, she grabbed a lipstick and began the same ritual as the door. Open and close, open and close, open and close...endlessly. Of course, the moment Daya left the main vocalist, she grabbed a bottle of water and began the same ritual with the cap of it. She couldn't help it, she hadn't cried but she would if she wasn't able to calm down soon.

"3.2.1" The voice through the speakers signaled the start of the show, lights slowly going down while heartbeats accelerated. The instrumental of Wild started playing and the screen on the stage lit up. The screams of the fans could be heard and their light-sticks slowly , one by one. Flashes of their music video showed, personal close shots of each member as more lights lit up across the place.

  The silhouettes of the nine members appeared on the screen, the name Promise slowly showed before their opening song kicked in. Their faces flashed across the screens, the lights of the stage changing colors from white to teal with each member. Then the spotlights , looking across the audience for the members. The first to have her moment of focus was Alice, who raised her microphone as Pandora started playing. 


Author's Note: I'm so sorry for the long wait!  Thank you so much for waiting! I'm so sorry! I've been really sick for these few months, and I really couldn't focus on anything but trying to stay awake for more than an hour. Tell me if you liked this chapter and I will decide if to continue to describe the showcase or if to jump to their debut stage after. I had in mind to have them visit the studio of Weekly Idol or have them have an interview with Simon and Martina, but that's your choice guys. Comment away~