Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

“Coffee sound good?” HoWon takes a sit beside you on the bench just across from the hospital and offers you coffee. You nod your thanks to him as you take the coffee mug, you’re not really a fan of coffee but with all the thoughts running through you brain back and forth you decide that coffee is alright.

 

You both sit in silence; you’re still shaken up about meeting your mother or whoever the woman is. You want to see your grandmother but you’re afraid to meet your mother.

 

You’ve always wanted to see her.

 

You think as your grip on the mug tightens. Why are you running away now? You question yourself and you stare into the dark abyss of the coffee.

 

“Staring into your coffee like that won’t take your confusion away.” His sudden statement causes you to jerk out of your deep thoughts and back to reality. “Did that make sense?” He inquires and you manage to give him a smile and a short nod.

 

“…” A pregnant pause before he decides to break it. “Do you want to tell me what that was all about?” He asks. You pause before you take a sip of your coffee, you stare at him through the corner of your eye and shake your head.

 

“Okay,” You hear the sound of his zip opening and a phone is placed on your lap, you look at him bewildered. “If you want to talk,” He says as he rubs the back of his back with a sheepish smile.

 

You use your free hand to grasp the phone and you give him a forced grin.

 

“Don’t do that.” He murmurs and you frown not knowing what he’s talking about. “Don’t show me your fake side,” He looks at you, “You can lean on me…” He trails off, “If you want.” He quickly adds.

 

Your lower lip trembles and tears stream out of your eyes. You stare at your lap through your blurry vision and you choke. Was that my mother? You honestly don’t know what to feel. Am I overthinking things? You bite your lower lip as you watch a tear drop in your coffee.

 

You look at the corner of your eye and you see HoWon spreading his arms awkwardly like he wants to fly. You turn to him and you give him a questioning look. You probably look like you have been ran over by a train – exaggeration – but you don’t care, you keep giving him the look.

 

“Hug…?” He questions still holding his arms wide open. You don’t think twice, you drop your mug and you ignore the sound of it breaking. You practically throw yourself in his arms and you break down. You think this is the first time you’ve cried – your head is beginning to hurt.

 

You wrap your arms around his neck and you pull him close, not really in your right mind, you hold him tighter. You hope he does not mind your tears making his shirt wet. You choke on your cries when it gets unbearable and too much to handle.

 

And you wonder if you’re only crying because of the previous meeting or something else.

 

It has to be something else. The feeling of being alone hits you hard. The feeling you get when you thought your grandmother was going to die or was dead. Your body begins to shake beyond your control and you feel HoWon’s hand awkwardly rubbing your back. If only, it only makes you cry more.

 

“Hey…” You hear him say after a long silence. “Take it easy, alright? Your crying might make people think I’m a e.” He says and your crying comes to an immediate stop.

 

Sorry.

 

You sign before you quick wipe your tears away and you look anywhere but at him. You sniffle a few times before your crying stops but the sniffles stay.

 

“I was joking.” He rubs the back of his head. “You can…” He trails off and places his hands on his shoulder. “You can use my shoulder anytime you need it.” He reaches out to wipe away a random tear you missed and you stare at him wide eyed.

 

“Sorry.” He smiles sheepishly as he retreats his hand and you shake your head forcing a smile on your face.

 

There’s a pregnant pause before he breaks it clearing his throat. “Do you want to go back inside?” He questions and you shake your head without putting much thought to it. You want to see your grandmother but seeing her now means facing whoever that woman is.

 

You’re not ready.

 

You let out a sigh and you stare blankly at the broken mug and the spilt coffee.

 

“Where do you want to go?” He inquires curiously. “I can ask Mrs. Nam to take us wherever – she’ll understand and if she doesn’t – I can have my mum pick us up.” You watch him as he pulls out his phone and he hands it to you. You stare at it weirdly before you get it and WooHyun pops in your head the moment the phone lights.

 

A smile ghosts on your lips, you shake your head and you look for what you need to.

 

I want to go somewhere nice.

 

You pause to think of what else to write, you stare blankly at the phone before you shake your head to clear all thoughts.

 

Somewhere nice to clear my mind, you know. Do you want to go to the beach with me?

 

You give the phone to him and you wait patiently for his response. He seems to be in deep thought after a few seconds. Is he going to say no? You think nervously, you place your hand on the bench next to him and you bite your lower lip. You stare at the ground – it seems like centuries before he makes an action. The action itself makes your heart do a backflip and it beats like you’re being chased – all in a good way.

 

He places his hand over yours on the bench. Just that small action and you find yourself mentally panicking. You look at his hand on top of yours before you look up at him but he’s not looking at you.

 

“Sure.” He says you spot his reddened cheeks and you can’t help but crack a smile. As if you weren’t gloomy and crying earlier, your whole worlds lights up at the sight of him blushing. He shyly takes his hand off you and smiles faintly. You frown at the loss of contact with him but your eyes widen when he takes your hand and intertwines his fingers with yours.

 

¤¤¤¤

FINALLY! Chapter 20! This is the last chapter you’re gonna see of this until I feel like updating the chapters I’ve saved for the future LOL.  Hiatus for this until I dunno, gotta look through my others fics and see if I feel like updating any of them. Anyway I’ll see you guys when I update this whenever, don’t worry, I will. Until next Time! Oh, and if you’re not patient enough to wait for an update, feel free to unsubscribe LOL I didn’t ask for anyone to subscribe to this anyways. Once again; Until Next Time :]¡ I always forget to say this --> HAPPY NEW YEAR! Late I know LOL.