Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

You look away from HoWon’s face with a blush on your cheeks and you stare at your lunchbox. You sit on the ground and you pat the empty space on your right. You look up at HoWon again and you gesture for him to sit down.

 

He settles himself beside you with his hands shoved in his pockets and a tiny smile on his face. You sit crisscrossed and make yourself comfortable. Picking up the lunchbox and chopsticks, you open the lunchbox’s lid and your mouth waters at the sight.

 

You use your chopstick to grab the piece of food before you nudge HoWon with your elbow. He looks at you and your eyes trail to the chopsticks you’re holding and so do his. He blinks and you pull your hand back before you lift it again. You stop the chopstick with food in front of his mouth; you open your mouth hoping he’ll get the hint.

 

He opens his mouth and you feed him, you watch as he chews with a shocked look on his face. You turn back to your lunchbox and you begin eating your lunchbox, he doesn’t say anything and you’re glad because you’re embarrassed. Why did I do that? You think to yourself and your face continues heating up. I need to think before I act around him.

 

“Thank you.” You hear him say, you look up at him and you smile as you nod your head. You stretch the lunchbox to him and he shakes his head. “You should eat.” He says softly and you shake your head stubbornly.

 

Eat with me.You think as you pick holding the lunchbox towards him. He takes it in his hands and stares at it; you turn away and look for your bag. You zip it open and you roam your hand in it trying to look something water. You pull out a flask of water and you hand it to him, he doesn’t protest, he takes it and places it between his legs.

 

When his stomach rumbles, you snort and that causes him to look at you. You cover your mouth because of the embarrassing sound that follows. You calm down after a few seconds and you smile weakly at him.

 

He hands you a chopstick and keeps the other one. “Dig in.” He says and you give him a weird look.

 

With one chopstick. Really? You blink at the chopstick he’s holding out to you and you grab it from his hand.

 

He uses the chopstick he has and pokes the food in the lunchbox. “Like this,” He chuckles.

 

¤¤¤¤

 

“Come on!” Sungjong calls from the gates, “Mrs. Nam is waiting!” He shouts ignoring looks from people. School is over for the day.

 

Finally. You think as you quicken your pace. Not bad. For the first normal day, not bad. You reach next to Sungjong and you try to catch your breath. You adjust the backpack on your bag. Heavy. You sigh tiredly.

 

“Come on,” Sungjong says again and throws his arm over your shoulder. You both walk out of the gates towards the familiar car of Mrs. Nam; you see her leaning against it, twirling the keys on her index finger.  Next to her is WooHyun with his hands shoved in his pockets, you see moving and you notice how WooHyun shrugs his shoulders every now and then. They both look serious and you wonder what they are talking about.

 

WooHyun spots you first and his mother seems to follow his gaze. They wave at you and you wave back. You step in front of them and you smile widely.

 

“How was school?” Mrs. Nam’s face lights up; she unlocks the doors and enters the driver’s seat. You enter the backseat after taking off your backpack and shoving it in first and you relax once you’re in your seat.

 

WooHyun and Sungjong are still outside the car and you barely hear what they’re saying and you’re not all too curious. Mrs. Nam pokes her head out after lowering the car window with a tired sigh.

 

“I need to get her home – get in or walk home.” She snaps and her head retreats back in the car. The two enter after fighting on who sits in the front seats next to the older woman. WooHyun sits with you in the backseat and you notice how he’s glaring daggers at Sungjong, you mentally roll your eyes.

 

“How was school?” Mrs. Nam asks again as she starts the car, she looks behind and waits for your answer as if you can answer her with your voice.

 

“Uh,” WooHyun begins and his mother blinks at him.

 

“…” Sungjong clears his throat and you notice Mrs. Nam blinking innocently at them before she looks at you.

 

“Well?” She pouts.

 

“Mum,” WooHyun says in a strained voice, “Drive?” He asks.

 

“Oh,” Mrs. Nam frowns and he face lights up in realization. “Oh!” She exclaims and gives you an apologetic look. “I’m so sorry! I forgot,” She states with a sad look, you shake your head and smile wider, if that is possible.

 

“This isn’t the first time someone forgot about her being mute today,” Sungjong comments and you notice the phone in his hands. It’s pressed to his ear, “Right?” He turns his head and stares at you, grinning.

 

You nod.

 

¤¤¤¤

 

You nod your thanks to Mrs. Nam and you slap your hands together giving her a bow. She giggles and does the same; the only difference is that she’s in the car and you standing outside.

 

You watch her wave at you and you hear the car start. Sungjong waves with a smile on his face, your eyes trail to the backseat and you notice that WooHyun is sleeping. You shake your head and you watch the car drive past you. You turn around and you slowly walk to the house. You don’t bother knocking, you pick the key from the doormat on the doorstep and you unlock the door.

 

You hear your grandmother’s voice and you ring the doorbell even though you’re already in the house. It’s to grab her attention and know that you’re in the house because obviously you can’t scream ‘I’m home’.

 

You take off your shoes and you place them on the shoe rack before you debate with yourself on if you will go to the living room first or if you’ll visit your bedroom before anything. You walk over to the living room because you hear the sound of the TV.

 

You walk into the living room and you abruptly stop at the sight of someone familiar sitting on the couch looking clueless.

 

 What is he – oh.

 

¤¤¤¤

Christmas break is here, FINALLY. Until next Time :]¡