Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

Watching HoWon swing a punch into the guy’s face makes your stomach twist and turn. The sound of the guy’s nose breaking makes a shiver run down your spine. You have never seen the expression he has on his face right at this moment – the expression of pure anger and hatred has you slightly trembling and a bit frightened. HoWon doesn’t swing another punch at the guy but he gives him a good shove.

 

You close your eyes and you hide behind HoWon, you snake your arms around his waist hoping he feels your discomfort with the whole situation. You hate violence. It makes your skin crawl and more than a billion shivers run down your spine at the thought of violence.

 

Real fights are nasty and heartbreaking. You know that the guy deserves more than a punch or two but you don’t want to be that person who enjoys watching people in pain. You open your eyes and you stare at the guy. His nose is bleeding and he has his hand over it, he stares back at you with wide shocked eyes before his eyes flick back to HoWon.

 

 “Your broken nose is going to be the least of your worries if you don’t stop your ignorance.” HoWon unhooks your arms around his waist and pulls you in front of him with your back against his chest. “Apologize to her,” He orders hastily.

 

“No.” The guy challenges and you find yourself being moved gently to the side, HoWon steps over to the guy and grabs his collar once more pulling the guy to his shaky feet. He raises his fist and before he drops it on the guy’s face – the door bursting open and someone’s shout stops him.

 

“What’s going on here?” You spin around and you see WooHyun panting by the door with Mrs. Kang. WooHyun tries to catch his breath before he steps further into the classroom and walks towards HoWon past you. “Come on, man,” He says grabbing HoWon’s wrist and dropping it.

 

You search through your pockets and you pull out your grey handkerchief. You step forward and you kneel before the guy, you hesitantly wipe a bit of blood off his nose before you’re roughly pulled away by WooHyun causing you to drop the handkerchief on the guy’s lap.

 

The door slams shut hard and you and everyone else turn to it. Mrs. Kang is standing there with her arms over her chest, she has an angry expression on her face and you know she’s about to explode but she’s holding it in.

 

“Everyone, back to your seats.” She barks as she makes her way to her desk, she pushes her textbooks to one on her desk before she sits on it. You shake WooHyun’s hand off your wrist before you walk to your desk next to Sungjong. Everyone else scrams to their desks and the only ones standing are both WooHyun and HoWon but they don’t seem to mind.

 

 

Mrs. Kang ignores their existence before she eyes all of you, her eyes land on you and she stares at you the longest but you turn away from her after a few seconds. “Apologize to her or you’ll find yourself with your parents in the principal’s office.” She says and you tense up. You look over at the guy and he’s glaring at you. HoWon and WooHyun are also glaring back at him.

 

“But –” The guy gets interrupted.

 

“That’s an order.” She hisses angrily and you shiver. You stare at the guy through the corner of your eye and you see him walking over to you, he stops in front of your desk and you don’t find it in you to look up at him. You stare at the textbook on your desk blankly and you wait.

 

“Sorry.” He forces out.

 

You swallow and you raise your head to look at him. He looks annoyed but you ignore that and you give him a smile signaling that it’s alright just to get him away from you. Mrs. Kang sees your smile and orders the guy back to his desk.

 

“I met WooHyun on my way to the principals’ office and that’s why he is here,” She ask looking look at each and every one of you. “I haven’t told the principal about this,” She continues, “But if this happens again, I’ll be forced to report.” She hops off her desk and picks up the ruler from it and start walking around the classroom.

 

You see her stop in front of HyunA and she slaps her ruler on it. “Don’t curse during my lessons,” She snaps, “And that goes to all of you – what happened here a couple of minutes ago staysburied in here.” She declares sternly. “Am I clear?”  You find yourself joining the sea of nodding heads.

 

“Why were you out in the hallway, Mr. Nam?” She questions and you hear WooHyun clear his throat nervously. “Ditching class, Mr. Nam?” She mocks before she snaps out of it and turns around; she walks back to the front of the classroom. No doubt all the teachers here know WooHyun’s ditching behavior. You think mentally shaking your head.

 

“Mr. Lee,” She looks at HoWon and shake her head, “I do not tolerate violence and that goes for you too, Kim MyungSoo.” She glares at them and tosses her ruler on the desk, “Class dismissed.” Every one stays on their seats until she leaves the classroom and that’s when the class gets noisy to the point of it making your head hurt.

 

 

“Hi.” You look up at HoWon and you meet his concern eyes, you slowly stand up from your seat and you wrap your arms around his neck pulling him close to you. “Are you okay?” He whispers and you nod against his shoulder with tears b in your eyes.

 

You want to say thank you to him but you can’t. You want to tell all of them that you’re happy they stood up for you. You told Sungjong it’s okay because you didn’t want what happened to happen but it did anyway. You don’t want any of them to be suspended or expelled for fighting.

 

You feel his arms slowly circles around your waist pulling you closer than you already are. He hand rubs the back of your head before he pulls away from you and searches for answers in your eyes.

 

“Don’t cry,” He mutters and your eyes widen in shock. I’m crying? You think as you quickly touch your face, you feel the wetness on your cheeks and you quickly wipe the tears away. “You’re welcome,” He says and you look at him with a confused look.

 

“You wanted to thank us, right?” He mumbles and you nod, the surprise in your eyes never leaves. How does he read me so well? You furrow your eyebrows in deep thought.

 

“You two are awfully close,” Someone comments and the whole class stills. You break out of your thoughts and you stare at HyunA who is staring at you with curious eyes before she looks at HoWon. “So…” She starts making actions with her hands at him go on gestures. “So, Superman, anything you want to tell us?” She asks giving him a pointed look, she looks at you and does the same thing with her hands.

 

You look up at HoWon and you find him looking down at you, you blush in embarrassment but you don’t look away from him. You nod at him and you hope he gets what you mean, he does. He turns to HyunA and gives her a small smile. He grabs your hand and he intertwines his fingers with yours, you see the smile plastered on his face and you know that his smile lights up your world. You get this funny feeling in your stomach of joy when he looks at you, you smile back at him with bright eyes. "We're together." He says not taking his eyes off you.

 

¤¤¤¤

Until Next Time :]!