Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

I wish I was somewhere cold – it is cold but I need coldness. You think as you try to not make it obvious that you’re embarrassed and that your cheeks are heating up. You look at HoWon and you smile weakly at how focused he is as he moves his hands makes a few smiles.

 

He’s talking to you and you’re pretty sure he’s explaining something important because of the concentrated look he currently has plastered on his face.

 

You watch as he brings his hands down, you watch him grab a sheet of paper and he writes something on it. Your eyes follow each movement his hands make, the twisting and turning of his fingers.

 

“Are you following?” He question snaps you out of your thoughts and you blink rapidly before you give him a nod. “Your turn.” He says and your eyes widen. I wasn’t paying attention.

 

“Sign the Alphabet – that’s what I said we’d start with, remember? You agreed.” His right lip crawls upwards and you blush.

 

You nod as you clap your hands together before you start, he interrupts you. “You won’t be using your notebook to communicate with me – you have two month to learn – not everything but let’s say, 40%?” You give him a look of disbelief. Nerd. You think as you shake your head

 

“Pay attention,” He whispers with a smirk after a short chuckle. “Then you won’t have to worry.”

 

¤¤¤¤

 

You enter the P.E room and you scan the room looking for Sungjong, you see him standing at the corner of the room talking to a girl you have never seen before. You stalk over to him with a tiny smile on your lips.

 

“Hi,” He greets turning as attention away from the girl to you, he pats your hair a bet and smiles warmly.

 

“So…” The girl you have never seen says, “Are you going to introduce us?” She glares at Sungjong with a pout.She’s so pretty. You think.

 

“This is Kim HyunA,” He says with a roll of his eyes, “She wasn’t here last time because of…?” He turns to HyunA hoping for her to continue.

 

“Oh my god, haven’t you been listening to me at all?”  She groans, she turns to you and stretches her hand towards you. “Hi,” You hesitantly reach out for her stretched out hand and you shake it.

 

“Nice to meet –” Her greeting gets interrupted.

 

“How are my angels today?!” You swing around and you raise your eyebrow at the sight of Mr. Jung, he’s practically glowing. What changed? You think as you let go of HyunA’s hand.

 

“HyunA!” he exclaims.

 

“Oh god.” You hear her say, you watch as she walks behind Sungjong and you shake your head with a smile.

 

“Here comes the favoritism,” Sungjong mutters and you give him a questioning look. “You’ll see.” He states.

 

“HyunA, my little angel,” Mr. Jung practically pushes you out of his way and he gives HyunA a tight hug.

 

Um, what? You think with a confused look, you raise your eyebrow in question as you stare at your teacher and a student.

 

“He’s her godfather,”

 

You almost jump out of your skin when you feel someone standing too close behind you, you’re pretty sure it’s not Sungjong – he stands beside you not behind you like a creep. You spin around and you find yourself staring into a familiar pair of eyes. WooHyun. Your wide eyes grow back to their normal size and you bite back a pout. Must he always pop up like he’s reading my mind? You think and you cross your hands over your chest.

 

You watch as Mr. Jung tries to catch someone of the students’ attention – that isn’t working out well. Sungjong is talking to HyunA – if that’s what her name is – again.

 

“Hey,” WooHyun says after a long period of nothing but silence. You turn your head to your side and you stare at him with a questioning expression. You give him a look, ushering him to go on and say what he wants.

 

“I was thinking…” He pauses and coughs to clear his throat, you turn your whole body to him and you wrap one arm around your middle, your attention is on him or at least trying to stay on him because you’re half focusing on what Mr. Jung is ranting about and half focusing on the person before you.

 

“I was thinking…” He repeats again, you notice that he’s avoiding eye contact with you – he is looking anywhere but at you. You bite your lower lip wishing you can say something – to ask him what’s on his mind.

 

He’s not one to have nothing at the tip of his tongue. You think and the thought confuses you. That didn’t come out right. You unconsciously pout.

 

“I –” he gets cut off and you give him an apologetic smile before you stare back at Mr. Jung.

 

“All girls to the right and all boys to the left!” Each and every student scatters to where they are supposed to be. You walk over to the girls and you wiggle your way to the behind not wanting to be the first to do anything and too shy to stand in the spotlight.

 

You look over at the boys on the left and you notice HoWon staring at you – you think he’s staring at you – you watch him as he raises his hand and he waves. You do the same and you wave back with a smile gracing on your lips.

 

“Last year’s best dancers – step forward and introduce yourselves.” He holds his hand up to stop the chattering. “Girls.” He orders.

 

A girl with a bowl cut steps forward and stands upright with her arms behind her back. You can’t see her face but from the clothes you see her wearing now, she was here last time.

 

“Nicole Jung.” You hear her say before someone steps beside her and stands in the same position with her hands behind her back. “Kim Hyoyeon.”

 

You try to peek at their faces but that is impossible. I wish I stayed in front. You mentally slap yourself.

 

Someone familiar steps between them in their position with her head up high. This school is weird. You shake your head in disbelief. “Kim HyunA.”

 

Why does that name ring a bell – oh, she was the girl I met earlier.You look around when no one makes a step forward.

 

“Only three girls get ranked as best every year.” Mr. Jung’s voice rings throughout the whole room. “I’m making the best ones introduce themselves – like I do every year and every new semester – when any of you noobs need help – you go to them, got it?” He says, his tone holding no room for protests – like anyone will be stupid enough to protest against a man like him – mood swings.

 

“Boys, your turn.”

 

 “Lee Kikwang.” Chirps a guy you have never seen.

 

Another guy – more serious looking – steps beside him, “Lee MinHyuk.”

 

You’re not surprised when you see HoWon step forward with his hands behind his back. “Lee HoWon .”

 

Your eyebrow goes upwards when someone steps forward; the guy is smiling as bright as the sun. “Jang DongWoo.”

 

Alright, didn’t Mr. Jung say three people only or is there something wrong with my ears?You think and you’re about to start panicking. What if I’m becoming deaf?!

 

“Kim YooKwon!” A cheery voice breaks you out of your thoughts.

 

   Everything goes silent after that, you can hear the sound of soft hushed whispering around the room. Mr. Jung walks forward between last year’s top students and stretches his arms.

 

What is he going to do now? You wonder already bored and wanting to do something. Your legs are twitching and making your uncomfortable.

 

“Join,” He orders them, the girls move over to the boys’ side and stand in front of HoWon and the other four guys who are standing in front of Sungjong, WooHyun and the rest of the boys. Mr. Jung looks around the room and his eyes land on you, you swallow hard and you look away.

 

What now?You stare at the ground while chewing your lower lip, you feel his gaze on you and you feel like squirming.  

 

“You – Awkward!” He calls, “Awkward!” He calls louder and you finally look up – he has labeled you as Awkward and as annoying as him calling you that is, you don’t bother to write him a long letter full of protests against the name.

 

You stare at him and wait, you hear giggles from the girls around you and you can’t help but roll your eyes at the ground. Mr. Jung points at six other people and commands them to stand next to you, both from the girls’ and boys’ side.

 

What now?!

 

“Dance.” He says. You hear shocked gasps from behind and the people you’re standing between.

 

What?! Is he crazy? You shriek in your head as you gulp at him.

 

“That’s not fair – they are the best in the school!” One protests and he receives a glare in return.

 

“Life never plays fair.” Mr. Jung scoffs.

 

You gave your father a stern look that you mastered up before you walked up to him with tears b in your eyes.

It’s not fair. I hate it how everyone treats me like I’m a broken doll. If you love me, you’ll stop treating me like I’ll drop dead. If you love me, you’ll get me out of here.

You showed him the page and you waited for him to read.  He looked away from Hoya and gave you a puzzled look.

“What do you mean?” He asked concerned. You quickly scribbled a quick sentence down; your handwriting was slightly out of order because of your shaking hands and the tears that freely streamed down your cheeks and dropped onto Hoya.

It’s not fair. It’s not fair. I hate being mute, not being able to scream out my emotions like I hear and see people do on TV. I hate this and I hate me.  Why was I born?

You slammed Hoya on the ground before you made your way to the couch. You slowly rubbed your right wrist were one of your teachers held you a little too tight. Stupid teachers are bullies. You looked down at your wrist and swallowed as you continued to rub it.

“This makes me sad.” Your father stated softly, you glanced at him before you turned back to your wrist. “Stop that.” He ordered firmly. You stopped rubbing your wrist and you placed your hands on your lap. “Look at me,” You slowly looked away from your lap to him.

“I’m trying to find us a place to stay,” He knelt in front of you and he carefully closed Hoya as though it was a living thing. You treated it like a living thing and he did the same. “Life never plays fair but once you get your head in the game, you can cheat life.” His statement left you confused but you didn’t bother to ask him. “You were born to make me smile. Mute or not, I love you and I’ll always be here for you.”

 

That’s a broken promise, dad. You think as you break out of your thoughts.

 

“Who goes first?” Mr. Jung questions and you’re not first enough to stop your legs, you step forward. “Need any music?” He asks, you look at him and shake your head.

 

You look at your supposed seniors and you crook your head to the side before you give them a smile.

 

Describe dancing in one word?

 

Freedom.

 

¤¤¤¤

I’m brain dead, so enjoy it and don’t complain LOL I obviously have typos but whatever, I don’t have time to look through it and I’d be lying if say I’ll correct everything when I’m fully awake. Until Next Time :]¡ Poster made by JaeJoongLove, go bother her if you want one LOL she doesn't bite. Happy holidays! I hope you all got what you wished for Christmas.