Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

“Step…one, two, three and four.” the familiar voice of your grandmother ran through your ears. Closing your eyes you swiftly bobbed your head to the intro of Neyo’s ‘y love.’ Once the vocals came in you knew you had to move. Picking your head up, you met eyes with HoWon. He smiled at you, mouthing ‘Good luck’ nodding full of energy you paced at the first set of motions, flinging your arms in proper formations. With a little chest jitter you stuttered your body with every beat rising, the crowd around you left what they were doing to watch you dance to the foreign song. It’s not every day someone chose a foreign R&B song.

 

With wide eyes they watched as you swiftly twirled in a circle before switching your position with a slide. Bringing a wave which formed from your toes all the way up to your abdominals and back made the crowd holler in envy. Sure, you had a lanky body but at this rate, it didn’t matter. You were ripping it up there and the fact that your body easily portrayed each move the way it was originally invented is what made the audience surprised.

 

Sliding down on your knees you gently your hips back and forth making the boys shout out inconsistent chants. Pulling your right leg out you twisted it in a circle motion before flipping it behind your back. You gently placed your head on the ground with your arms supporting your body into a baby freeze. Everyone jumped up and down cheering for you. Even the dance instructor had a little smile on his face. HoWon smirked at your little dance also clapping.

 

“Wow,” Mr. Jung says and begins to clap, “Good job, Noob.” He his head to the right side. “To the right.” You try to catch your breath and you slowly drag yourself over to where HoWon is standing. You step beside him and you feel your limbs begin to ache. I feel great. You think with a pleased smile.

 

“Next!” Mr. Jung shouts and immediately the person he jabs his finger at steps before everyone and waits for her song to start. You watch how quick the person moves and a small smile makes its way on your lips.

 

“That was amazing.” A shiver runs down your spine and you look at HoWon through the corner of your eye. Oh, breathe! You think to yourself as you mentally start fanning yourself. He liked it. You force a smile down and you turn to HoWon.

 

Thank you. You sign.

 

You’re welcome. He signs back. “I hope you’re ready,” he sudden whispers and you stare at him with a confused expression. “You’ve already settled in with your grandmother, huh?” He asks not taking his eyes off you and you blush with a nod. “I’ll be there today – sign lessons.” Your mouth opens into an O shape. I forgot. You think and you give him a sheepish smile.

 

Of all right newbies, only four made it to the left, whatever the ‘left’ side means you don’t know.

 

“Were you trying to kill yourself?” You turn your head to the voice and you blink at WooHyun.

 

“No,” Sungjong answers for you and throws his arm on your shoulder pulling you away from HoWon and to him. “She was awesome. Right, HoWon?” Your heart skips a beat when HoWon nods.

 

“Silence.” Mr. Jung snaps as he takes a peek at his wristwatch. “Alright, we’re going to start with something simple today.” He says seriously, “I won’t be dividing us into groups of 5 or 6 or more until later this year, as for now though; we’ll work as a class.” He clears his throat. “Any questions?”

 

“Uh…” You hear someone say, “We are like over 20 people in this class and working as one class to learn a dance is going to be difficult –”

 

“That is not a question.” Mr. Jung rudely interrupts the person. “The four noobs who are standing on the left side – come with me.” He says sternly and they walk over to him. He looks around the room and his gaze stops on someone, you follow his gaze and you find yourself staring at one of the first people you met when you stepped into the school. “Kim Sunggyu?” Mr. Jung waves him over.

 

“Yes, Sir?” He puffs his cheeks.

 

“You know what to do,” Mr. Jung walks out of the room with the four students trailing after him. You raise your eyebrow wondering what is going to happen to them.

 

“He’s giving them a second chance – the four people.” You almost jump out of your skin at the sudden statement, you look at WooHyun who gives you a confused look and you smile sheepishly at him. You look around the room trying to spot your bag and when you see it, you rush over to it. You it and you pull out a pen and your notebook.

 

Hi. You scribble down and you show it to WooHyun earning a shy smile in return.

 

Is Sunggyu a lot older than us?You nudge him when he turns his attention away from you.

 

“You can say that,” He answers, “Due to personal problems he has to repeat the third year – he’s really mean.” He adds with a chuckle.

 

“No, he’s not,” HoWon rolls his eyes, “You’re just lazy – ”

 

“You four – what did I just say?” Sunggyu asks walking over to you, he stop right in front of you and looks at you. He turns around and you don’t know what or who he is looking for. “Hey, MyungSoo,” He calls, “Isn’t she the girl you dragged up on stage?”

 

“Uh…” Sungjong clears his throat. “I don’t think Mr. Jung will like us standing here doing nothing, Sir, I’m kind of getting bored.” He informs causing some people to snicker.

 

You look at Sunggyu and you see him make a face. “Alright,” He claps his hands earning some people’s attention and others just ignore him.

 

With your limbs aching and protesting, you try to keep up with the rest of the class. This won’t be easy. You think and you shut your eyes trying to concentrate on what this Sunggyu person is barking at everyone and your movements.

 

“Hit the showers! Your movements come to a halt and you try to catch your breath. Why did we have to start with dancing? My body will ache all over. You drop your hands to your side and you scan the room looking for one person. HoWon.

 

¤¤¤¤

 

“This is your homeroom – Sungjong should be in here with MyungSoo,” HoWon informs as you stop in front of an empty classroom and you nod happily. “I guess…” He trails off and you smile faintly. “I – I guess I’ll see you after school?” He asks after a pause.

 

¤¤¤¤

You stand awkwardly in front of the entire classroom and you clear your throat nervously. You have been standing there for over 3 minutes in silence; each and every classmate is giving you a confused look. Some are giving you impatient looks, you turn to the teacher and you look at her.

 

“I’ll repeat what I said,” She states calmly, “Please, introduce yourself to the class.” She says before she walks to her desk and sits on top of the desk after pushing her books aside. You turn away from her and you look back at the classroom. Some faces are from your dance class earlier this morning, you scan the room and your eyes land on Sungjong, he gives you thumbs up and you swallow.

 

I wish I was home. You think as you turn back to the teacher, you take a step back and you turn to the blank green chalkboard, you look for a chalk and when you find one, you pick it up.

 

“What are – ” You raise your hand to silence your teacher and you give her a pleading look, she hesitates but nods anyway. You press the chalk against the chalkboard and you move it gently, you ignore the chatters going on behind you and you do what you’re good at; you write.

 

You write your name on the chalkboard neatly and you pause trying to think of what else to write.

 

I’m sorry for wasting time to introduce myself. Please take care of me.

 

Your writing comes to a halt and you turn to face the class with a blush creeping on your cheeks, you bow 90 degrees.

 

“Using your voice would have been nice.” The teacher comments after she lets out a heavily sigh. You ignore her before you turn back to the board.

 

I’m mute.

 

You drop the chalk back to where you picked it up from after writing that and you quietly walk over to Sungjong, your eyes are asking him if the empty seat next to him is available and he nods with a smile.

 

“She’s mute?” You hear someone whisper in shock and your lips form a thin line.

 

“She’s probably faking it.” Another says and your hands clench into weak fists. You stare blankly at your desk and you bite your lower lip.

 

She’s probably faking it.

 

You bite your lower lips harder before you let out a sigh that goes unheard.

 

You’re special.

 

Your father’s words in your ears and you stare blankly ahead. I wish you were here. I feel cursed. I'm only special in your eyes, dad. You swallow.

 

You look through your school bag and you pull out a book identical to the one Sungjong is flipping though.

 

“Welcome to our classroom – class, please take care of her and treat her with respect.” The teacher says sternly and most of the students nod. “I’m Mrs. Kang – open your books on page 234, literature is what we’ll –” You ignore what she says on you open the book to the right page.

 

“…the major form of literature we’ll be working on is Drama – I’m sure Mr. Jung told you about this,” She turns to the board and begins to write notes.

 

“Mr. Jung never said anything about drama this morning.” A voice says and Mrs. Kang shrugs her tiny shoulders.

 

“I’m sure he mentioned something about the dance class working as a whole.” She spins around and looks around twirling the short chalk in her hands between her fingers. You suddenly start to wonder what she’s thinking about, when her eyes land on you, you quickly look away from her and you try to focus on the textbook.

 

The rest of the day goes smoothly and you’re already tired of introducing yourself using the board. I wish I could talk. You think as you try to enter the combination on your new locker, you open it after a bit of difficulty.

 

“Hurry,” Sungjong says and you jump in surprise, “Sorry if I scared you,” He apologizes sheepishly rubbing the back of his head.

 

You calm your racing heart and you shake your head. It’s nothing. You think before you shove a few books from your bag into the locker.

 

“Two more lessons before school is over,” He informs, “Mrs. Nam will come pick us up after school, don’t be late!” He exclaims as he walks off to who knows where. You nod in understanding, you zip your school bag and you carry it on your back with a bored sigh.

 

You look at your wristwatch. It’s lunch already. You frown having no idea what to do; you aren’t hungry so you decide to explorer the school. It school has this old smell and old feeling to it; the walls in the hallways have pictures of people and old designs.

 

The people on the pictures are famous people you’ve seen on TV and you hear your grandmother talking about them sometimes. They are dead now or so she says, the pictures look old.

 

This school is old. You step out of the hallway and out of the school building but you’re still on the school property. You look around and you admire the green grass, trees and the flowers.

 

Hoya.

 

Your heart clenches, oh, how you long to touch the flower. How long has it been since to you last saw and touched one? Your fingers twitch and you try to calm your urge to cry like a baby. You feel incomplete. You sit under a tree and you stretch your legs out in front of you causing pain to run through them because of the aching.

 

Stupid early dancing.  You watch people moving up and down, you look through your school bag and you pull out your lunch.

 

Thanks, grandmother. You think as you slam your hands together and you close your eyes sending a silent thankful prayer. Just as you are about to dig in, you hear familiar voices and you turn to the source. You choke on nothing when you see HoWon heading your way.

 

Is my face okay?You think to yourself and you quickly close your lunchbox before you jump to your feet. You spin around and you wave to HoWon because you feel like you need company. You want to be close to someone who is a way you feel understands you more than others do.

 

Your stomach feels funny when you see HoWon waving back at you. Is it just me or is he walking faster? You think before you shake your head. Stop being such a fan girl. You scold yourself.

 ¤¤¤¤

Ignore typos :3 I’m still thinking of where this goes and how long it’ll be, hopefully not over 30 chapters, gawd that's too long LOLOL but we'll see. I'm such a slowpoke with their relationship LOL. Until Next Time!