Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

Forgiving you is something I’m not willing to do right now. I need time.

 

You hit the send button on the bright screen before you glance at the person next to you through the corner of your eye. You don’t wait for her to read it, you simply unlock the car door and you step out. You open the backseat and you grab your backpack before you slam the door shut gently.

 

Your mother looks at you and you nod your goodbye to her. Your phone vibrates when you’re a few steps from the car.

 

Take all the time you need.

 

You blink ever so slowly and shrug, you walk towards the school gates and you want to make yourself invisible. You’re still not used – it’s just so large – too large and too many people. You look down, staring at your feet as you make your way into the school. The grip you have on your backpack is tight and you think you might stop the blood circulation in your hand.

 

It’s not long after you step in the noisy hallway that you bump into something hard – you don’t fall down but you do stumble backwards. You look up and a silly smile forms its way on your lips. Your eyes twinkle and you stretch your arms out to him as if asking to be picked up.

 

HoWon chuckles softly and steps forward; he wraps his arms around your waist and nuzzles his nose between you neck and shoulder. You wrap your arms around his neck and a soft sigh escapes your lips.

 

You have no idea how long you both stay that way until the school bell rings signaling for everyone to disappear to their first lessons. You pout when he tries to pull away and you tighten your hold on him.

 

The warmth of his body just comforts you – HoWon doesn’t need to say anything to comfort you, all it takes when it comes to him is just a simple hug. You don’t think you’ve ever met someone like him. Sure, you’ve met a lot of kind people and people who can back you up whenever you need support but you can’t seem to explain what he makes you feel.

 

He makes you feel alive and a part of this world – not like others don’t but that’s another case. You don’t need to ask him if he likes you and you don’t need him to say it all the time because his actions prove it – actions speak louder than words. His weak awkward smiles whenever he sees you and how hesitant he can be when he wants to ask you something or hold you makes your heart flutter.

 

He respects you.

 

He is strict when it comes to teaching you sign language and during those sessions, you’re only allowed to use your hands to communicate with him, no notebook or phone.

 

“Hey…” You break out of your thoughts and you immediately pull away from him with a blush tainted on your cheeks. “I’ll see you in dance class?” That is more of a question than a statement, you look up at him and you nod frantically causing him to smile again.

 

You flush him a shy smile before you spin around to rush to your class but he grabs your wrist. You turn back to him and you look at him bewildered.

 

He blinks at you as if trying to give you a hint on something but you turn your head to the side not knowing what he wants. He lifts his hand and points at his cheek, your cheeks burn but you take a step forward and you press your lips against his cheek before you smack a quick peck on his lips.

 

You step away from him and you wave see you later to him ignoring the awe looks some of the people are throwing at you. You spin around and sprint to your first class but not after sparing HoWon one last glance.

 

You sit in class and you stare blankly at the teacher as he went on and on about the human body – you hear erted snickers and comments from the guys and embarrassed groans from the girls. You tap your pencil on your desk softly as you think of something else – it just pops in your head and you find it hard to concentrate on your current class.

 

You scribble down a sentence in the notebook right at the back and you poke Sungjong when your teacher isn’t looking.  

 

Should I forgive her?

 

He tears his eyes way from the teacher and looks at you. He mouths what and you lift the notebook slightly up not wanting to make it obvious to everyone else that you’re communicating. Your classmates find it fascinating when you talk to anyone using the notebook or even a bit of sign language in their presence. You don’t get what’s so fascinating about that at all.

 

You watch as Sungjong pulls out his phone and places it under the table to hide it from the teacher’s view. You turn back to the front and you wait for your phone to vibrate – it does so seconds later. You fetch it from your pocket and you place it under your table like Sungjong did.

 

Forgive who?

 

With a bit of difficulty of trying not to be caught and typing down the response, you manage to hit send.

 

My mother.

 

You look at him and nod your head when he raises his eyebrow.

 

What’d she do?

 

You pause trying to make the explanation short and you try to put your emotions in check as you type down.

 

She used to stalker me.

 

That’s your explanation and it’s lame but you hit send.

 

“What?!” Sungjong shouts and that earns attention from everyone in the classroom, you quickly put away your phone and he does the same.

 

“Would you like to share, Mr. Lee?” The teacher snaps, irritated.

 

¤¤¤¤

 

“Ready?” YooKwon asks excitedly and you mentally face palm – the guy acts like he is high on sugar, always hyper when clearly there is nothing to be hyper about.

 

You nod and smile at him, all pairs are a distance anyway from each other and scattered all over the room. HoWon is at the other side of the room and he waves at you and you do the same before you turn back to YooKwon while ping your hoodie – you know you’ll get too hot if you dance with it on. He looks at you up and down after your hoodie is fully off, “Your shirt is interesting. Nice.” He smirks and you look down at your singlet.

 

It’s a singlet. You mentally correct him.

 

What the hell are you looking at? Is written on the singlet across your chest and in bold letters, you cross your arms over your chest to hide the words and you look away. Wrong choice of clothes today. You think and you bite the inside of your cheek, your grandmother bought you the singlet because she thought the words were cute. What the hell are you looking at? Just makes the person look really.

 

“Is that your boyfriend?” He questions curiously poking his head in HoWon’s direction and you nod your head with a blush creeping its way on your cheeks. “Well, tango does get touchy-feely, I hope he won’t mind.” He grins, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

 

What the hell?

 

¤¤¤¤

Dancing to no music is slightly annoying but you know it’s for the best. You’re in one room with all the dance students and if they decide they want different songs the room will be filled with nothing but noise. You try to create your own music in your head that will match with the moves you think are tango moves.

 

YooKwon gets serious and less chirpy when you nod to him that you’re ready, he stands behind you and he whispers for you to start – he claims that you leading him will help him think – you have no idea about what tango moves you have to make to help him think.

 

“When I tell you to turn – you should turn fast – real fast.” He mutters and you nod your head waiting for him to say anything else. “If I don’t speak – move the way you want to and I’ll follow and support your moves, understand?” He asks running his hands at your sides which causes you to tense up, “Relax – told you it gets touchy-feely.” He chuckles and proceeds with moving his hands until they reach your arms. You close your eyes – trying to relax – and you feel his hands on your back.

 

“Turn,” His voice is barely heard with the noisy footsteps on the wooden floor and bodies against each other from people in the room but you hear it. You swiftly turn around and your hand rests on his back, you intertwine your fingers with his and he brings his hand and yours up in the air before he looks down at you with a grin. “Just like that.”

 

He takes a step back and you automatically lean into him, his arm goes around your waist and your hand trails to it ever so slowly. You remove his hand off your waist in a slow but fierce manner before you stare at him with a smirk plastered on your face, you shake your head playfully – you practically throw his arm back to him and you rip yourself away from him swiftly spinning.

 

 You stop a few steps away from him and not tearing your eyes away from his you take a series of steps to walk forward and he does the same with a chuckle. When he is in front of you – he grabs your arm and yanks you towards him, with his other hand circles your waist. He peers down at your face and you roll your eyes at him when you spot a smirk on his face.

 

The moves are sloppy and aren’t as strong as the normal dances you’re both good at but they leave you both panting.

 

¤¤¤¤

 

“You sure you’ve never danced tango before?” Sungjong asks as soon as you step outside the girl’s locker room. You’re refreshed and ready to go to class for some theory lessons. You look at Sungjong for a few seconds before you give him a nod.

 

“Sure looked like you were trained!” He exclaims earning attention for people in the hallway. You shake your head at his sentence and loudness.

 

You later find yourself in front of your locker entering the combination. You open it and you remove your textbook for the next lesson. Sungjong gets dragged away from you by a group if girls and guys you’ve seen him hanging out with on the weekends, you smile softly when you see his apologetic look.

 

You slam your locker shut and you jump in shock dropping your textbook when you notice someone standing next to you. HoWon. You give him a smile and he returns it before he picks up your textbook and holds it for you, you give him another grateful smile before you lock your locker.

 

HoWon.

 

You sign his name and when you see his smile grows wider – your cheeks heat up and you stare at the ground letting him drag you to your class. The embarrassment and shyness is still there when he’s in your presence – it’s better than a few weeks ago though.

 

He stops in front of your classroom and gives you a peck on the cheek. He presses his cheek against yours and says, “I don’t think we’ve been out on a date before,” He continues and your heart starts pounding in your chest.  “Let’s go out this weekend – think about it?” He pulls away and you notice the color on his cheeks. You give him a wide smile and you give him a firm nod.

 

You turn to your classroom and step in after HoWon leaves. The class is deadly silent and you blink at them. You quickly walk to your desk and you sit down staring at it nervously.

 

“Someone’s got a date this weekend!” One person exclaims and then the class fills with playful childish sounds. You look up and they are staring at you.

 

“So…” A girl starts, “Any plans on where you’re going to have your first date with Hobaby?!” She practically screams and her friends start squealing.

 

“Go to the movies!”

 

“A date on the beach is romantic~”

 

“Shut up.” They all stop talking and stare into the direction of where the voice is coming from. MyungSoo.

 

The class is only silent for a few minutes before someone breaks it. “Oh, you shut up, you clumsy dork!” She shouts and people giggling at the statement repeat after her. You look at MyungSoo and you smile at how uncomfortable he looks after being called a dork.

 

“I bet he’s jelly ‘cause he has no girlfriend.” HyunA comments and her little friends laugh.

 

“Settles down everyone – settle down!” Your attention goes to the front and you stare at Mrs. Kang – Sungjong runs in the class seconds later.

 

“Sorry I’m late – I was helping Mr. Kwon with –” Mrs. Kang cuts him off.

 

“Sit down, Lee Sungjong!”

 

¤¤¤¤

 

Three days of tango with YooKwon in dance class makes practicing even after school hours make it easier and you’re now used to tango. Most people in the class now know the technics and basics – well, at least you do. Practicing at your mother’s house after visiting your grandmother at the hospital who is recovering comes in handy.

 

You scan the room for HoWon and you wave at him when you see him earning an annoyed look from Mr. Jung.

 

“Are you lonely, Mr. Jung?” YooKwon questions with his eyebrow wiggle and the rest laugh whole heartedly.

 

“Shut up,” Mr. Jung sighs before he looks at his clipboard. “Is everyone here?” He inquires not looking away from it.

 

“Nope, Namstar is missing in action!” A guy informs loudly.

 

“Woohyun again,” Mr. Jung shakes his head, you watch him grab his pen and press the tip against the clipboard – the door bursts open before he can write anything. Your attention turns to the dance room’s entrance and you stare at WooHyun’s panting form.

 

“I have a pass note,” He explains as he walks over to Mr. Jung. You look over at Sungjong who is staring at WooHyun and the sad expression he wears on his face makes your insides turn – in a bad way of course. Something is wrong. You think biting your lower lip.

 

You look over at Mr. Jung and you watch his place the pass note WooHyun gave him in his back pocket. “All righty then!” He slaps his hand on his clipboard and scans the room and faces.

 

“Tango going well, I hope?” He questions earning nods and groans that are overtaken by louds hums of agreement. “Partner change,” He says loudly and you raise your eyebrow in confusion.

 

“Why!?” The girl Sungjong calls annoying and is apparently MyungSoo’s cousin asks.

 

“Because I say so,” Mr. Jung shrugs and looks at his clipboard every now and then as he pairs each and every student with someone new.  He looks up from his clipboard and stares at the remaining people and one of them being you.

 

“The person beside you on your left is your partner – let’s get started and this time one pair at a time and the rest watch. I’m sure you’ve all learned something over the past three days.” He rants in one breath. You turn to your left and your eyes are locked with a familiar pair.

 

Woohyun is the only person on your left.

¤¤¤¤

Until Next Time :]¡ Not edited.