Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

“How was school?” Your grandmother asks as soon as she steps into the house. You smile warmly at her and you nod for her to get in. You close the door and lock it before you attempt to help her with the grocery bag she is holding. “Oh, thank you!” She grins handing you the bag with a smile. She walks into the kitchen and you follow her closely behind. You place the bag on the counter and you both unpack everything inside. You do things hurriedly because you still need to answer her first question.

 

“I’ll do the rest – write about your day.” She giggles when you give her a shocked look. “Got you?” She asks teasingly and you blush after nodding. You walk out of the kitchen and you make your way up to your room, you hear your grandmother humming before you shut your bedroom door. You walk over to your study table and you sit on the chair. You pick up the pen and you scan around your room for the notepad. You find the notepad lying on your pillow and you stand up.

 

You flip through the old pages and you realize that it’s going to finish soon. You sigh.How much money goes to these notepads? You ask yourself. How many notepads have I used? You think getting frustrated. Too many to count. You answer yourself. I need to learn sign language and fast.

 

School was alright. I think it’s because we left right after the performances on stage, I haven’t met my classmates yet. HoWon saved me, Granny, he was cool. I didn’t see WooHyun or Sungjong, I’m a little sad about that because I wanted to see them. Do you think they skipped school?

 

You pause trying to think if you have more to add. A guy was looking through my soul and the other one with the cute eyes. You think with a thoughtful look. And the loud girl. I wonder who those three are – the mic guy did say their names but I don’t remember. You break out of your thoughts at the sound of a knock on your door. Your grandmother enters the room and walks to you. She sits next to you and peeks at the notepad. You give it to her and you watch her read it.

 

“WooHyun and Sungjong probably left earlier than you did – their mothers would kill them if they skipped.” She says with a laugh. “So,” She begins. “HoWon saved you?” You see her wiggle her eyebrow and you blush looking away. “Saved you from what?” she asks curiously handing the notepad back to you. “I need to buy you a new one.” She adds as an afterthought.

 

I think a man was going to make me dance in front of the whole school.

 

“You got targeted.” She chuckles. “Happens every year to dance students,” She stands up but you hold her wrist. She looks down at you with a confused look. “Yes?” She questions as you scribble something on your notepad.

 

How was your day?

 

Her eyes tinkle at the question before she takes a seat next to you again.

 

¤¤¤¤

 

It’s almost 1AM. You think as you walk out of the bathroom from brushing your teeth and combing your hair. You’re already in your pajamas but you don’t feel like sleeping. You walk over to your bed and you sit on it. You hear soft music coming from somewhere in the house and you’re not surprised. Your grandmother is usually awake and she often plays songs but you have never asked her why. For fun? You think to yourself as you lay on your bed. You make your head comfortable on the pillow and you stare blanking at the ceiling.

 

Hey, Hoya. You think staring at the ceiling with a smile. I can’t wait to go to school tomorrow. You suddenly sit up and your eyes grew large. I forgot. You quickly walk out of your room after grabbing the notepad and pen. You rush to your grandmother’s room and you knock on her door quietly.

 

“…you have to practice a dance for tomorrow.” HoWon saud as you both walked down the sidewalk to your grandmother's house. He had his hands deep into his pockets and he had a small smile on his face. You gave him a questioning look at his statement you ingored your beating heart. Shut up, Heart.You thought as you bit your lower lip.

“Because our dance teacher – Mr. Jung – he likes to see what we’ve got,” He shrugged, “I have yet to see you dance,” He paused and looked at you. “I’m sure you’re a go dancer,” He told almost shyly and that made your cheeks heat up.

 

“It’s late,” That is the first thing your grandmother says to you after she opens the door. “Why are you still up?” She asks as she steps out of her room. You scribble down what you want from her.

 

I need to learn a dance. Help me, please?

 

“Now?” She inquires and you nod your head eagerly. “I’ll meet you in the living room – it’ll be big enough once we move the offending furniture aside.” She says after a long pause and smiles.

 

¤¤¤¤

 

A man claps his hands loudly as he walk in the P.E room earning attention from the students around. You’re standing awkwardly next to Sungjong; apparently you’re in his room. WooHyun and HoWon are a year above but during P.E classes they are with your class according to what Sungjong told you.

 

“They should be here in a few minutes,” You hear him say quietly. “That’s our dance teacher or instructor – Mr. Jung.” He tells you while pointing at the man. You nod your head with a smile. “That over there,” He points to a familiar looking person, “Is Kim Sunggyu – he’s two years ahead of us, this school is pretty complicated.” He mumbles, “The glaring guy next to him is Kim MyungSoo – no they are not brothers. – and the girl with them – I don’t know her name but she’s annoying.” You smile at the last statement.

 

“Anyone new here?” Mr. Jung as Sungjong said calls looking around the class. “Come forward, I need your names and you’ll be the first ones to go.” Sungjong gives you a small shove pushing you forward.

 

¤¤¤¤

“Alright,” The teacher mumbles as he counts all the new faces with his eyes. “Alright,” He says again before he grabs his clipboard. “Your names?” He says as he walks to the other side of the room muttering more things under his breath. You and eight other people follow him, you walk awkwardly behind all of them and you wrap your arms around your waist for comfort.

 

Dad. Where are you?

 

You shake your head at the thought. This is not that time. You think and you bite your lower lip. “Names?” Mr. Jung questions bluntly the eight people give their names and he writes them all down you notice that he adds a few names at the end of each name. The eight people separate and you’re glad.

 

“What’s your name?” Mr. Jung asks not looking away from his clipboard as he continues to scribble a few more things. You peek and you mentally cringe at how his handwriting looks. His handwriting is so ugly. You think with a shudder. “I’m still waiting for your name.” A shiver runs down at you spine after he says that, he looks from his clipboard and gives you an annoyed look.

 

“Are you deaf?” You shake your head at the question. “I’m running out of time – I need your name.” He says impatiently. You swallow and you slowly raise your hand, you point at your lips and you shake your head as you make a gesture that clearly explains that you can’t talk.

 

Having a dumb teacher is not what you want.

 

“You don’t want to tell me?” He narrows his eyes at you and you shrink, you look behind you and you see all the other students working on their dance moves or simply chatting with their friends. Your eyes trail around the room from Sungjong and you spot him standing next to the girl he called annoying a while ago.

 

You point at your mouth again and you do the head shaking plus a shrug.  Mr. Jung only looks even more confused now. Feeling frustrated you blink away tears and you turn away from him. “Hey!” He shouts when you sprint away, you reach Sungjong and you get between him and the annoying girl whose name you have yet to find out, you tug his arm.

 

“Help?” He looks down at you and you nod your head. He lets you drag him to Mr. Jung who gives you a glare. “Morning, Mr. Jung,” Sungjong greets with a small smile, you stand behind him and you peek over his shoulder shyly.

 

“What do you want, Sungjong?” He snaps impatiently. Grumpy. You think as you continue peeking over your shields shoulder.

 

“Mr. Jung,” Sungjong says with a dramatic sigh and you smile softly. “The girl behind me is,” He tells Mr. Jung your name before he turns to you and winks. “That’s how it’s done,” He walks past you and you find yourself staring at Mr. Jung.

 

“Oh,” His mouth forms into an O and he looks at you up and down. “Welcome!” He laughs and you give him a weird look before he can say anything else, two figures enter the dance room and head straight in your direction.

 

“Good morning, HoWon!” Mr. Jung forgets about you and walks over to HoWon, you follow closely behind him not wanting to be left alone. You shyly look at HoWon and he rubs the back of his head with a smile.

 

“Someone didn’t notice me.” You hear the sound of someone clearing their throat and you look at the person standing beside HoWon. Oh, hi WooHyun! You think cheerfully as you wave at him.

 

“I’m so happy to know that I’m not an invisible wall,” He says sarcastically and you mentally roll your eyes. I said hello. You think grimly. What’s with him?

 

“I dragged him here,” HoWon speaks up, “So he’ll be a little grumpy for the rest of the day.” You watch as Mr. Jung slaps HoWon on the back and you wince.

 

“Atta boy!” Mr. Jung exclaims before he turns to WooHyun and scowls at him. “Fancy seeing you here – I was about to replace you with someone else.” His voice drips with sarcasm. HoWon makes his way next to you and smiles; he stands beside you and nudges you. You look up at him and you raise your eyebrow biting the inside of your cheek trying to hold the blush - you blush anyway.

 

Good luck. He signs the words and you smile shyly and you nod.

 

You too. You sign back. Knowing the basics of sign language some phrases are easy to read and sign.

 

“Done, Lovebirds?” Mr. Jung questions bluntly. You cheeks flash and you quickly nod your head, you look down when you notice that almost all the students are staring at you both. Their whispering makes you extremely anxious and a little afraid, you move closer to HoWon when you heart starts racing for comfort and you bite your lower lip as you examine the ground.

 

“Gather up everyone – we have nine students who will be joining us for the rest of the school year, I have yet to know which class year they belong to but that’s not the main point here.” He pauses at gives you a look; he crooks his head to the right, “All Noobs, to the right.” He tells you and you all do as he says. Calling us Noobs is rude and offensive. You think with a frown and you lips almost form into a pout.

 

“Who goes first?” All eight Noobs raise their hands and you stand awkwardly between them wishing a black hole can appear a stuck you in. “The awkward Noob – step forward.” A sigh escapes your lips and you take a shaky step forward.

 

“Are you prepared for today?” He asks you sternly and you nod your head. “Are you ready to show me what you’ve got?” You nod once more and you look him in the eye.

 

I’m ready. You think confidently.

 

“What song?” Grandmother was right. He was going to ask for what song. You think as you step forward to Mr. Jung, you roll up your hoodie’s sleeve and you make him look at your arm. He reads the words and nods his head. “The CD is in my office – I’ll be right back!”

 

¤¤¤¤

 

I was gonna write the dancing scene but yeah LOL it’s not easy =…..=  Until Next Time :]