Silent Steps

Silent Steps [work in progress]

You place your hands close to your chest as you look down at him. You want to tell him you’re sorry for waking him up but you can’t and you don’t know how to form the word with your lips. You step behind and swallow thickly as you watch him sit up.

 

He doesn’t take his sleepy eyes off you; he slowly sits up and swings his legs off the bed. You watch him as he rubs his tired eyes with a yawn.

 

When he lifts his head to look at you, you turn away from him with a faint blush on your cheeks – a blush that hints embarrassment. “Who let you in?” He questions after a long period of silence.

 

You smack your lips together not knowing how to answer that – you obviously can’t use your voice, you stay silent and stare at him through the corner of your eye. You see him look up from the floor to you.

 

“Aren’t you going to answer me?” You turn to fully look him in the eye and you frown with a look of confusion plastered on your face.

 

You raise your hand on you place it over your mouth; you trace your lips and shake your head hesitantly. A look of realization seems to flash in his eyes and he ran his fingers through his hair. “,” He whispers softly before he stares at you with a guilty expression on his face.

 

“I forgot,” He says, “I ing forgot,” He cusses and you cringe inwardly. You shake your head to show him that you don’t mind and you flash him a small smile.

 

He pauses and continues staring at you making you feel slightly uncomfortable but you try not to show it. He suddenly stands from his bed dropping the duvet to the ground; you notice he’s dressed in jeans and a causal shirt, he has his shoes on.

 

By the looks of everything, he just dropped himself on the bed and let sleep take over him the night before. “I’ll go wash up.” He mutters drily walking over to what you think is his closet. You stand there awkwardly watching him take out a blue towel and clothes. He closes the closet and turns to you; he kicks his shoes off and mumbles something under his breath that you fail to hear.

 

“You can sit on the bed,” He says before he turns away – heading out of the room. He opens the door, “Does HoWon know you’re here?” He questions, he turns around to look at you and you shake your head.

 

“Send him a message; tell him you’re with me.” He walks out of his bedroom and closes the door with a click.

 

You pull out your phone from your pocket and you unlock it before you search for HoWon’s number.

 

Good morning! Are you still sleeping? I’m at WooHyun’s with grandma.

 

You hit send and lock your phone before you shove it in your pocket. You stare into nothing and space out.

 

I’m getting confused. You think as you bite your lower lip. What went on between them? You unconsciously frown. You look around WooHyun’s room trying to found a chair to sit on because sitting on his bed just screams weird to you. There’s no chair on his room.

 

You make your way to his bed and you pick up his duvet. You fold it shabbily and place it on his bed before you sit beside it. You place your hands on your lap in an awkward manner.

 

Is their history that bad?You shake your head not wanting to think about that anymore even though thoughts of what could have possible made them resent each other keep popping in.

 

You ruffle your hair in frustration. Who do I ask? I obviously can’t ask WooHyun or HoWon. You run a hand over your face with a sigh.

 

Sungjong?

 

Waiting for WooHyun to finish taking his shower makes you realize that he takes long showers. You hold your phone and scroll down your contact list for Sungjong; you click his name and begin to write a message.

 

Are you awake? I need to ask you something.

 

You don’t have to wait long for his reply, your phone vibrates and you smile.

 

Have been for about an hour. What is it?

 

You pause trying to form a nice short sentence that actually makes sense.

 

Did something happen between HoWon and WooHyun before?

 

You hit send and you wait patiently staring at your phone. It vibrates signaling a new message but before you can read it, WooHyun steps in the room.

 

“Did I take too long?” He inquires. He’s dressed in tank pants and a t-shirt, he hands you one of the glasses of yellowish liquid he is holding before he sits beside you. “My mum thought you’d like some juice,” He says taking a sip from his.

 

You nod your thanks with a smile and you hold the glass after putting your phone aside. Having no idea what to write you both sit in silence. The silence is surprisingly comfortable and the only thing you can hear is each other’s breathing.

 

“Was he there when you came in?” He asks out of the blue. You take a sip from the glass and shake your head having no idea who he is talking about – your lips are still attached to the brim before you gulp another sip and look at him.

 

He is staring ahead with an expression of pure doubt and hurt, “My father – was he there when you came in?” He repeats.

 

No.You sign, you’re not sure if he can even read sign language but it’s like a habit now. You shake your head clearing your throat to get him to look at you.

 

“…” He takes in a deep breath, “Ever felt like you’re a burden?” The question catches you off guard and for some reason; it’s like a slap in the face – bringing you back to reality and out of your thoughts.

 

He doesn’t wait for you to respond, he continues, “They’re going on separation – for a year before they make their final decisions.” He shrugs and looks up at the ceiling. With your holds on your lap, you fist your jeans in a tight grip.

 

“You know…” He trails off and clears his throat, “My brother and I have no say in all of this – that .” He lets out a bitter chuckle, “This is embarrassing,” He adds as an afterthought.

 

You reach out with your right hand and hold his sleeve, he looks at you and you frantically shake your head. He opens his mouth to say something but you don’t let him, you do the only thing you can think of and the only thing you can do at the moment – you pull him into a comforting hug.

 

¤¤¤¤¤

Chapter 20 will join chapter 19 a little later. Did I mention anything about a love triangle? No? Exactly. Love triangles are such a pain in the arse to write LOL but we'll see, I might change my mind LOL. Until Next Time :]!

You forgot to rip your pants.