Ch 46 - But...

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

It’s still fairly early when they arrive at the club, but it’s crowded nonetheless. They’re barely in the door when Charity taps Jong Kook’s arm to get his attention over the loud music.

“I’m going to the bar!,” she yells to be heard. “Bring her to me when you find her!” She gives him a small shove forward and vanishes into the crowd, making her way to the bar.

Jong Kook and Kwang Soo stand dumbly for a moment, watching her go then looking at each other. They shrug at each other.

Kwang Soo leans down close to Jong Kook’s ear. “I’ll go find Joongki. Want to just meet over by the bar when you’ve got Hannah?”

Jong Kook nods, not bothering to attempt to be heard over the music. The two go their separate ways.

Jong Kook looks down at his phone to see if Hannah has messaged, but the notifications are blank. Figuring it can’t be too hard to find a tall, white, light-haired woman in the crowd, he starts making his way methodically around the perimeter of the dance floor. He knows what’s going to happen when he finds her. He’ll take her over to Charity and Charity will force his hand. He half doesn’t know why he’s going along with it, and is half relieved that all of this will finally be over. He admits to himself that it’s kind of a weak way out, to let Charity to the work for him, but at least it’s a way out.

He scans the dance floor again as he circles. It’s packed with bodies already, but he doesn’t see Hannah. He circles twice more, and on his third go round, he finally spots her close to the entrance, looking around. They smile at each other as their eyes catch and he makes his way toward her.

“Hey!,” he says, leaning in to give her a quick one-armed hug around the shoulders. “You came!”

“I said I would!,” she replies, grinning at him. “I haven’t been to a club in Korea yet and wanted to check it out.”

“Well, I’m glad you made it.” He takes a half-step back, all the crowd will allow. “You look great.” She’s wearing tall strappy sandals in a bright pink color. They perfectly match her dress, a fitted sleeveless sheath that comes up high on her chest and just a hair under too high on her thighs.

“You, too!,” she says, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. “Let’s dance!”

“Already?,” Jong Kook asks. “Don’t you want a drink or anything?”

“I don’t drink!,” she reminds him. “And I can’t stay out too long, so I want to get the most out of it. I know I haven’t been here long, but it seriously feels like months since I did anything fun. I’m giving myself one hour exactly to cut loose. Come on!” She grabs him by the hand and tugs him on to the dance floor.

Jong Kook’s dancing is stiff and self-conscious, but Hannah doesn’t seem to notice. She dances easily. Nothing flashy or scandalous, but her body is loose and moves fluidly near his. Other men continuously attempt to cut in and she favors them all with her standard mega-watt smile, but keeps herself firmly in Jong Kook’s space, gracefully turning them down without embarrassing anyone or hurting any feelings. He never has to step in to put a halt to anyone getting too fresh or too close, she handles it all on her own. Jong Kook is once again impressed just watching her, how well she interacts with everyone, how friendly she is in every situation.

It doesn’t take long to get hot and sweaty on the crowded dance floor. After about thirty minutes, Hannah taps on Jong Kook’s arm and gestures off the floor. He nods and takes her by the elbow, carefully clearing a path for them to exit. They make their way toward one of the ends of the bar, farthest from the dance floor.

“Do you want a bottle of water or anything?,” he asks her, and she nods gratefully.

“That would be perfect,” she says. “I’m having so much fun!” She enthusiastically throws her arms around him for a quick hug and he smiles. “Thanks for inviting me out tonight. Thanks for inviting me places even though I’m a terrible friend who is always busy.”

He shakes his head and smiles. “Any time you’ve got the time,” he says. Then he takes a deep breath. “Hey, I came here with some friends and I want to introduce you.” He leans forward to get a look down the long bar. He spies Charity all the way at the other end, talking animatedly to someone who has his back toward Jong Kook.

“Sure!,” Hannah agrees. “Your friends are great. Lead the way!”

Jong Kook steels himself and takes her hand, threading his way through the masses of people clamoring for a drink at the bar. Hannah follows through the path he cuts, taking advantage of how people move aside for his broad shoulders.

Jong Kook’s feet feel heavier with every step. He knows what he’s walking into, and wills himself to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Just 30 more steps and this is over. Just 20 more steps and it’s done.

When he’s counted himself down to 10 steps, the crowd thins a bit, giving him a clear view of Charity sitting on a bar stool next to a man in a leather jacket. She’s laughing at something he’s saying and leans forward to put her hand on his shoulder, twisting toward him. Jong Kook catches the flash of bright blue at her back. The man she’s with lifts his head as the bartender approaches with a drink and takes it, then sets it in front of Charity. He drops one hand to rest low on her waist as he uses the other to reach into his pocket. Charity leans to thank him and Jong Kook catches that flash of blue again.

Suddenly, his ears are roaring. He can’t hear the music anymore, or feel Hannah behind him. Before he knows what’s happening, he’s by Charity’s side in a blink, sliding his own credit card into the bartender’s hand before Leather Jacket can pay.

“Hey, man, what the --” Leather Jacket starts, annoyed.

“Thanks.” Jong Kook plasters a broad, fake smile acros

Please log in to read the full chapter