Ch 29 - Speed Racer

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

The filming finishes relatively early, but the cast and crew are exhausted when it ends. As the members gather to say good bye, Jae Suk speaks up.

“Hey, it’s so early, let’s all go get dinner, eh?” He slings one arm around Haha and the other around Suk Jin, pulling them close.

“I’m in,” Suk Jin says, and Haha and Gary murmur agreement as well.

“Ji Hyo’s not,” Charity says, popping up beside the group.

“Ahhh, but I’m hungry!,” Ji Hyo whines, almost stomping a foot.

“And I am the one who has to get you to your manager, who I believe has about six other places to take you, so you’re out. Your manager is parked over there.” She situates Ji Hyo with her bag and sends her off before looking at Jong Kook and Kwang Soo. “Do either of you need a ride home?”

“Actually,” Kwang Soo says regretfully, “my manager is waiting for me, too. I have an early flight tomorrow. Let’s do dinner again soon, though,” he says to the group before jogging off to the parking lot after Ji Hyo.

Charity turns toward Jong Kook and raises an eyebrow.

“I think I’m going to go to dinner,” he says.

“All right,” Charity responds. “You know how to get in when you get back.” She hands him his phone and bag and turns to walk away, lifting a hand as a goodbye to the group.

“Yah, Cherry, come to dinner with us,” Suk Jin urges.

“Not tonight,” she calls back over her shoulder. “Someone’s waiting for me at home.”

As Charity walks away, Jong Kook takes a moment to check his phone for messages, worried about Hannah’s reaction to his failure to text sooner. There’s one from Hannah from several hours earlier.

HannahBanana799476: Mr. Kim Jong Kook! I know I said I wanted to see you filming today and I’m sorry to be so undependable, but something came up! Text me later! XOXO

His mouth twists to the side as he realizes he had no need to be worried at all. He’s not entirely certain how he feels about that, but he moves to respond anyway. Before he can start his response, Gary is peering over his shoulder.

“Is that a text from Hannah? Is she mad you didn’t invite her to the filming? Invite her to dinner!”

Gary sounds as though he’s half-joking, but the rest of the remaining members jump on the idea, urging him to have Hannah join them for their cast dinner. Jong Kook thinks it over for a split second before shrugging his shoulders and keying in his response.

kjk76: Don’t worry about it. Are you free now? Some of the cast members and I are going to dinner.

Hannah’s response appears seconds later.

HannahBanana799476: Free and STARVING! Tell me where and I’ll meet you there!

After a quick conference with everyone else, Jong Kook gives Hannah the restaurant location and hops into a car with Haha and Gary. While the two younger men chat back and forth through the drive, Jong Kook is silent, lost in thought. He feels like he should be nervous about introducing Hannah to his friends and colleagues, but he’s really not at all. He feels like he should have butterflies in his stomach at the idea of seeing her again, but he really doesn’t at all. Sure, he’s excited to hang out with her again, but… something feels different. Maybe this is what meeting a soulmate is like. Maybe it’s just comfortable, without all the awkward shyness he usually experiences around women. He smiles to himself at the idea, realizing it only makes sense. Of course meeting your actual soulmate is entirely different than all other women. In fact, it would be weird if he didn’t feel entirely different, now that he thinks about it. As the car pulls up outside the restaurant, he hops out quickly, buoyed by his realization.

“You all go ahead in, I’ll wait out here for Hannah,” he says to the rest of the group, just as the woman in question bounds up, bursting with energy. Jong Kook steps forward to greet her, but she is way ahead of him.

“Hello! Hello! I’m Hannah! I don’t speak Korean! I don’t speak Korean yet,” she clarifies. “But some day I will! Nice to meet you!” She sticks out her hand to a momentarily bewildered Jae Suk and he shakes it. Before he can say anything, she moves through everyone else, shaking hands and saying, “Hello!” cheerfully to Suk Jin, Gary, and Haha in turn, gracing each of them with her usual huge, beaming smile.

She turns to Jong Kook. “Mr. Kim Jong Kook!” She flings her arm around his shoulder. They’re nearly the same height with the heels she’s wearing and she has no trouble. “Sorry I couldn’t make it today, totally spaced out.”

He grins at her automatically, as usual totally charmed by her bubbly personality immediately. “It’s all right,” he replies. “Hanging around filming all day is boring, anyway.”

“Probably!,” Hannah agrees. “Is everyone here? Let’s go in! What do they serve here? I am STARVING.” She practically skips through the door of the restaurant. Behind her back, Jong Kook raises his eyebrows at the rest of the group, silently inquiring for their opinions. They all stare back, wide-eyed. Jong Kook grins, already well used to the effects of Hannah’s over the top personality, and follows her inside. Everyone else trails behind, casting meaningful looks between themselves.

Soon, they’re all settled around a low table with steaming bowls of stew and side dishes spread out before them. Jong Kook sits directly across from Hannah as Gary and Haha had jostled him out of the way to sit on either side of her. Jae Suk and Suk Jin sit on either side of Jong Kook. While he’s aggravated at no

Please log in to read the full chapter