Ch 19 - Debriefing

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jong Kook makes his way back to Charity's apartment almost in a daze. Thoughts pass languidly through his hazy mind, none staying long enough to be fully analyzed. A trip to quickly greet Hannah upon her arrival in the country had turned into so much more and he didn't feel quite ready to process all the information. Just outside Charity's building, he pulls out his cellphone and hits a speed dial button. When the person on the other end picks up, he begins talking immediately.

"Yah, Kwang Soo, where are you?"

"Working, hyung. But on a brief break. Is everything okay?" Kwang Soo is perceptive and tuned in to Jong Kook's moods and easily picks up that something is off with his friend.

"Ah, okay. Nothing... nothing much. It can wait."

"You saw Hannah today, right? How was it?"

"It was... are you going to stay at Charity's tonight?"

"Yep, you?"

"I was just about to pick up my stuff and head home, but if you're going to be there, I think I'll stay. Can we catch up tonight?"

"Yes, sure thing, hyung. I'll see you tonight?"

"Yep."

Both hang up and Jong Kook heads up to the apartment. Collecting just gym clothes instead of everything as he planned, he changes quickly and heads to the gym to blow off steam and focus on something else entirely for a while. He's not quite ready to deeply analyze his day and the information Hannah shared. Instead, he'll let it all swirl around in his brain while he works out hard for a few hours, then see what comes out when he talks with Kwang Soo later.

He focuses intently on his workout, though he can't stop himself from turning the events of the day around and around in his head a bit. Hannah is just as bright and shining as he remembered her from the airport, her smile contagious and her manner engaging. He truly enjoyed their time together earlier and felt more comfortable sitting in chatting with her than he normally would with a woman he doesn't know well. He's looking forward to seeing her again and basking in her smile and easy conversational style. But he's nervous. He's nervous about the sudden upheaval in Hannah's life that brought them together. The twinges of guilt were frequent and strong as they walked along the path together. And then, she also said she never wants to get married. How could that be?

After several hard hours at the gym running his body into exhaustion, Jong Kook lets himself back in to Charity's apartment. He kicks off his shoes and heads into the living room where he finds Kwang Soo sprawled on one of the couches, staring at the television and fumbling around for a bowl of popcorn on the floor. 

"Hey, hyung," Kwang Soo calls without looking away from the screen. 

"Hey, Kwang Soo," Jong Kook replies. He looks around the room. "Where's Charity? I thought you two were hanging out together tonight."

"Shower," he says, sitting up. "Want to hang out with us?"

"Ummm...," Jong Kook hedges. "Sure, I guess. I don't have anything else going on tonight."

"Come tell me how today went." Kwang Soo pats the couch next to him invitingly.

Jong Kook laughs and takes a seat on the couch across from Kwang Soo, dropping his gym bag at his feet. He lifts his cap and runs his hand through his hair, still wet from the shower at the gym. He settles in to the couch, stretching his legs out and crossing them at the ankle. He fiddles with the hem of his shorts as he thinks about what to say.

"Did it go well, hyung?," Kwang Soo encourages.

"Yes." Jong Kook thinks a moment, and then nods in affirmation. "Yes, it went well. She's still... Hannah. She's still the same. Funny, smart, charming. She's easy to talk to."

"That's good, hyung. Why do I sense there's something more, though?"

"Well." Jong Kook adjusts his cap again, a habit Kwang Soo recognizes well. "Well, first of all, I went to her apartment and she has a roommate."

"Oh?" Kwang Soo perks up, interested.

"It's a guy."

"Oh." Kwang Soo deflates, melting back into the cushions. "Wait, a guy?"

"Yes." Jong Kook nods. "A guy. And he likes her."

"Does she like him?"

"Hannah likes everyone," Jong Kook sighs. "She even acknowledged he seems to like her and just shrugged it off. She's incredibly nice," Jong Kook explains. "But no, I don't think she likes him like that."

"Okay, well, that's not too bad," Kwang Soo says dubiously. "And if she's got a male roommate, she probably won't be bothered by you crashing at a woman's place, right?"

"Well... I'm not so sure about that. Apparently her last boyfriend - and that's a whole other story - had a female roommate and it really bothered her."

Kwang Soo twists his lips contemplatively. He says nothing, waiting for Jong Kook to continue.

"We put her suitcases in her apartment and then we went to eat - her suggestion." Jong Kook smiles, remembering when Hannah asked if they could spend more time together. At least, that was how he was interpreting it. "We talked all through lunch. Or at least, I did. She's very good at getting people to talk to her. So then we went for ice cream - her, not me," Jong Kook responds to Kwang Soo's incredulous expression. "And I finally got to ask her about herself. She's got three siblings, she's the oldest. She's really smart and driven. She's a hard worker."

"Again, I'm still feeling like there's something more."

"There is." Jong Kook sighs. "She said that her whole life went into upheaval before she came here to Korea. That everything was fine - happy family, boyfriend she was going to marry, promising career in development - and then suddenly, everything was different." He shifts uncomfortably.

Kwang Soo catches on quickly. "And you're thinking it's your fault, because of what you did at the fortune teller's place."

"Yes," Jong Kook admits. "And I feel... I don't know how I feel. I feel like I should feel bad, and I feel bad that I don't feel that bad. I feel selfish and I don't like it."

"Well, first of all, you can't know for sure anything that happened to her happened because of what you did."

"But -- "

"But you're right, it does seem like if a major shift in her left resulted in her landing in front of you, it might be your fault." Kwang Soo concedes. 

Jong Kook looks miserable.

"But what's done is done and she's here, right? So at this point, it shouldn't matter."

"But there's still the condition."

"The condition?"

Jong Kook remembers that he hadn't told his friends the condition of his deal with Ji Min. It seemed so small as to be unnecessary to even consider. "Yes. There's a condition the fortune teller gave me. In order for the whole thing to 'take,' I have to do something."

"And...?" Kwang Soo is waiting, now leaning forward toward his friend.

"And... I have to tell her what I did. Before she finds out on her own."

Kwang Soo sits back, absorbing Jong Kook's words. He runs a hand over his face. He's about to answer when a door at the top of the stairs swings open and Charity bounds out, hair wet, in a long night shirt with knee length leggings peeking out from underneath. The two men watch her head into the kitchen and pull a can of cola from the fridge before traipsing into the living room and flinging herself down on the couch near Kwang Soo.

"Hey, Kwang Soo, you ready? Other guy." She nods toward Jong Kook. He bristles.

"Yep," Kwang Soo answers. "Jong Kook, want to watch with us? It's called Lost and it is awesome. We ordered a ton of food that should be here any minute."

"There's plain boring chicken s for plain boring people in the fridge," Charity adds as she fiddles with the remote.

Jong Kook chews his lower lip as he fights off the response that bubbles up naturally, but then remembers his enormous gaffe earlier. He cringes. Before he can form a proper response, Kwang Soo starts explaining the show.

"Okay, so all these people were in a plane crash and they landed on this island. A lot of them died but all these ones here survived. There were some kids, but they disappeared. And there's something scary in the woods."

Jong Kook waits for Kwang Soo to continue, but he doesn't. He raises a brow at him.

"That's all we know," Kwang Soo explains. Charity grins, still watching the screen. "Cherry's seen it before, but she won't tell me anything. OH and there was a polar

Please log in to read the full chapter