Ch 38 - Crash 2

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

(a/n: There's a short update before this one if you didn't see it. I don't know how many chapters I'll get out tonight but I intend on barrelling through to the end now, so check for double updates.)

Jong Kook lets himself in to Charity's apartment, kicking his shoes off into a cubby by the door. Walking in to the dimmed living room, he tosses his bag onto the couch, only vaguely noting how at home he feels here now. 

"Kwang Soo?," he calls out, but gets no answer. "Charity?," he tries again. No response. The apartment is silent. It's a bit late for Charity to be out with Zoe and he winces, realizing the two of them are probably asleep in the bedroom upstairs. Hoping he didn't disturb them, he heads into the kitchen for a quick glass of water before grabbing his bag and heading to his room. 

In the silence, he's left with nothing to do but sleep or think about tomorrow's grocery expedition with Hannah. On a whim, he rummages through his things to pull out a tank top and gym shorts, deciding a quick, intense workout is a better option than either of those two. Too wound up to sleep, too wound up to think clearly about what he's going to say the next day, he changes quickly and lets himself back out of the apartment to head to the small private gym for those living in the exclusive upper levels of the high rise apartment building.

As he approaches the glass-walled room, he's surprised to see the lights are on. It's almost always empty at any time of the day - the people living in this building probably have personal trainers or are spending entirely too much time at work to even consider visiting the gym in the few spare hours they might have each day. As he gets closer, he hears a rythmic pounding punctuated by loud gasps. He hastens his steps and pushes the door open, jaw dropped in shock to see Charity running flat out on the treadmill. Not jogging, running. Running hard. He's frozen as he takes in the scene before him. She's clearly been at it a while, her body soaked with sweat, loose t-shirt clinging to her body. Her breathing is beyond labored, great choking breaths making her chest heave. Her feet look heavy, barely lifting off the belt with each step. 

He's jolted from his reverie as Charity's knees wobble once, then twice. He leaps forward in an instant as she stumbles, positioning himself behind the treadmill just in time to catch her as her body flies backward due to the punishing speed of the belt. The two crash to the floor in a heap.

"Charity!," he says, gripping a hand onto her shoulder. "Charity!" He shakes her lightly, trying to elicit a response, but she can't catch her breath. "Charity, what are you doing?," he says, mostly to himself, as he gent

Please log in to read the full chapter