Ch 36 - Hesitation

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

The next few days are remarkably similar for Jong Kook. He wakes up in the morning and comes out of his room in Charity's apartment to find Zoe and Kwang Soo, or just Zoe, or just Kwang Soo, jumping on the trampoline. Charity is always in the kitchen, putting together breakfast for everyone, and a portion is always ready for him, too. Miranda shows up, or doesn't show up, and Jong Kook does his level best to make her uncomfortable until she leaves. Charity's taken the last few days of Zoe's visit off work, so after breakfast, they all go their separate ways. Charity and Zoe off to explore or play somewhere, Jong Kook and Kwang Soo heading out to fulfill various filming, interview, meeting, and other responsibilities. At night, they all come in at different times, but if Kwang Soo or Jong Kook misses dinner, a note is left on the counter directing them to a plate prepared for them in the fridge, just needing reheating. If one or both of them is home early enough, they play with Zoe or hang out on the couches with Charity, watching television and chatting until finally one or two or all three of them give in and finally head to bed.

It's after a few days of this, the day before Zoe's last day, that Jong Kook finally finds a minute to sit down and text Hannah. It's not that he hasn't thought about her in the meantime, it's just that he's been busy. Thinking about it now, he has to admit to himself that a lot of the time he hasn't been busy-busy, but more just enjoying spending time hanging out with Kwang Soo and Charity, as the three of them have fallen into a comfortable routine, and he finds himself looking forward to unwinding at the end of the day with one or both of them, whoever happens to be around. The living situation at Charity's is weird, and he knows that, but it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone. The three of them have formed a happy little triad, talking and debating late into the evenings. Kwang Soo is always good company, and Charity's mood is clearly colored toward the positive with the presence of her daughter. 

Another thing Jong Kook finds he has to admit to himself is that he's kind of waiting for something. He's been waiting for Hannah to text him, to check in, to ask what's up. He knows she's also very busy and has a lot on her plate, but no small part of him was curious about when she'd reach out, if he didn't. A little more reluctantly, he understands that something Charity had asked him had kind of stuck with him, when she asked him if he wanted to kiss Hannah, or he wanted to want to kiss Hannah. Even now, with a few spare minutes to himself and his phone in his hand, he's not sure. He's not only been waiting for Hannah to reach out to him, but also for the moment that he clearly wanted to reach out to her. He's been forcing himself to think of her outside the soulmate concept, and instead just as a woman he's interested in getting to know better and dating. He sits now, thinking over their encounters, what he knows about her, what he likes about her.

She's pretty, there's no doubt about that. She's bright and friendly and nice to everyone she meets, something Jong Kook appreciates. She's very driven in her career, and they have that in common. She's obviously quite smart and she knows what she wants out of life. All admirable qualities. He really can't think of anything he doesn't like about Hannah. 

But still... something is bothering him. He knows that any of these nights he's spent goofing off with Kwang Soo in Charity's apartment, he could have picked up his phone and texted her. Hell, while his schedule is pretty packed, there's always a moment or two here and there to check in. If he wanted to. He realizes now that it's not that he doesn't want to, it's more that it just isn't occurring to him in the moment. He thinks back to the airport, to the cup that hit him in the knee, and the hand that grabbed the cup at the same time as him. The sickening, zooming feeling of meeting Hannah's green eyes for the first time and realizing, this is her. This is it. The butterflies that up every spare inch of space in his stomach when he went to her apartment the first time, and the heady, giddy feeling of getting to know her over lunch and frozen yogurt. How pleased he was when he found her to be so comfortable in his gym, in his space, and how confident he felt moving forward with her. Now, though. Now, it's harder to recapture that feeling. He can still feel some excitement at the idea of a soulmate, his soulmate, but the idea of texting Hannah right now isn't making him jumpy or nervous. No fluttering. He knows this is because of the impossible ideal of Hannah he built up in his head and the confrontation between that and who she actually is. It's not that the real Hannah is anything less than wonderful. It's again, like Charity said, something he needs some time to come to terms with. Not something that's going to ruin everything.

He laughs softly under his breath as he flips his phone around and around in his hand idly, amused at how Charity has gone from someone who was completely not on his radar at all to someone who has such insightful input into what is inarguably the biggest thing to happen in his life so far. She's helpful in an easy way. She doesn't push him, but inserts a seemingly innocent question or comment here and there that he finds himself digging into hours or even days later, turning it over in his mind and using it as a tool to uncover the realities under his own confused thoughts. She's got a way of cutting through the bull that isn't necessarily aggressive at the time, but concise and pointed nonetheless. And then, after delivering one of these lines, she slips right back into mothering them all, heckling Kwang Soo, and making sure everyone is getting where they need to go, when they need to be there. She's unobtrusive but always there, appearing at Ji Hyo's elbow with some needed item and managing to drop a reminder over her shoulder to Kwang Soo about some event he wants to attend, or to slip a snack to Jong Kook when she sees his energy is flagging. He's noticed she does the same with the rest of the cast and even the staff. He winces a bit, knowing she's likely been this way all along, slipping in and out around them, helping then vanishing again, and in his excitement over Hannah, he'd completely missed it all. He's glad, though, that they're friends now, and he can't help idly wishing she was here now, to bounce his inconclusive feelings off of her, though he internally cringes at what the straightforward, no nonsense woman would have to say about the idea of fortune tellers and soulmates.

He looks down at his phone and pulls up his recent messages from Hannah. Nothing new. He looks at the time and tries to figure out what she might be doing now, if she's busy, if it's a good time to check in on her, and realizes he has no idea. He sets his phone down on the table in front of him and pulls out his wallet, sliding his fingers into a small pocket and pulling out two pieces of paper. One is the well-worn slip where Hannah had written her email address for him. He hasn't used it again after those initial emails and briefly considers dropping her a line that way instead, to give himself more time to think of what to say, how to move this relationship forward. Then he looks at the other small paper and turns it over in his hands. The card Kwang Soo gave him the night Haha announced his engagement, the fortune teller's address and phone number. Almost before he knows what he's doing, he finds himself keying in the number. Before hitting send, he stands and moves to a quiet corner of the room. He dials.

She answers almost immediately. "Hello?"

"Hello. This is Kim Jong Kook."

"Ah, Mr. Kim Jong Kook. We need to talk, don't we?"

"We do?"

"I think you know we do."

"Do you have a moment right now?"

"No, you come here tonight. I'll see you this evening."

Before he can respond, she's disconnected. He looks down at the phone in his hand to check. Yes, she really hung up. He sighs and pulls up Hannah's messages again. It's been a few days, so a few more hours certainly won't hurt. He decides to contact her after he's talking to Ji Min.

Several hours later, Jong Kook finds himself pulling up outside the low house well past the city limits. He'd made a brief stop at Charity's apartment after messaging her to see if it was possible to use her car, not wanting to get dragged in to visits and questions by heading to his own home for his own car. When he'd popped into the apartment, she'd tossed the keys to him and given him a wave, in the middle of carrying a massive pile of snacks over to a well-constructed blanket fort taking up the entirety of the living area. With a quick wave to each other, he was gone and on his way.

Now that he's here, he does

Please log in to read the full chapter