Ch 44 - LIKE A CORN

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

It's deep into the night when Jong Kook is awakened by a muffled curse.

". Ow, ."

"Charity?" He lifts his head off his pillow before dropping it back down immediately, exhausted.

"Go back to sleep."

"Where are you going?"

"Bed."

Eyes adjusting, he can just make out her form, bent, fumbling on the ground for her clothes, he assumes.

"This is a bed," he says reasonably.

"My bed," she replies. "Go back to sleep."

"Just get back in bed," he says, starting to feel irritated.

"No, I'm tired now. I want to sleep."

"So sleep." His eyelids are already drooping again and he turns on his side. She's standing now, pulling on her underwear and t-shirt, then gathers her jeans, boots, and bra in her arms.

"Good night, Kim Jong Kook-ssi," she says, and he can hear the eyeroll in her tone.

He snakes out a hand and barely manages to hook a finger into the elastic of her underwear. He tugs gently, pulling her back toward the bed.

"Come on," she complains. "You can't have anything left in you, I'm certain of it."

He chuckles at the truth of her remark. She is nothing if not thourough in her night time work. "Just get back in here and go to sleep."

"Nah," she says, wriggling herself loose again. His arm falls limply onto the bed. No gym tomorrow, he notes to himself wryly. "I'm going upstairs to shower and sleep."

"Why?," he asks on a yawn. 

"I never stay over," she says, as if that makes any sense at all.

"Charity, this is your house. You're staying over regardless."

"Yes, but, I -- Holy , just go back to sleep!" Her words are annoyed but there's a tinge of laughter to her voice. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"But what if I have a bad dream?," he asks, trying to put a pout into his tone. 

"I left your phone by the bed. Call Kwang Soo."

With that, she slips out of the room, shutting the door lightly behind her.

When Jong Kook does finally get up for the day, Charity isn't home. It doesn't matter, though, as moments after getting out of the shower, his phone is lighting up with a call from his manager, letting him know it's time to start the day, packed full of meetings, meetings, a photoshoot, and meetings. He barely has time to stuff his phone in his bag before he's jogging down the hall to the elevator.

The day, although busy, passes quickly with not much time for sitting and thinking. That's fine with Jong Kook, as his problems seem to be stacking up and solutions aren't following. It's Friday, though, and his weekend is unscheduled, so he knows he's got plenty of empty hours for dwelling coming up.

When he lets himself back into the apartment in the early evening, he's beat. He's not the only one, either. Trudging in, he spots Charity and Kwang Soo draped listlessly across the couches, both staring at the ceiling.

"Hey," they both say in unison, not so much as glancing his way.

He feels some previously unnoticed tension in his body release with relief at the thought of spending an evening exactly that way, with exactly those two people. Tossing his bag on the floor, he makes

Please log in to read the full chapter