Ch 33 - Game Night

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

As he opens the door to Charity's apartment, Jong Kook feels like he's walking into a circus. Lights are flashing from the television and there's yelling in both English and Korean. Kicking off his shoes, he walks farther inside to take in the scene. Zoe is jumping on the couch, waving a video game controller with one hand and pointing triumphantly at Kwang Soo with the other. Kwang Soo is howling in Korean, statements of shock and disbelief, as he throws his own hands in the air. Jong Kook looks over his shoulder and sees Charity supervising the situation from the kitchen, a half grin on her face. He heads over toward her.

"They're playing Mario Kart," she explains. "Kwang Soo was not quite prepared for just how much practice Zoe has put into the game."

Kwang Soo has thrown himself on the floor at this point, while Zoe trounces up and down the couch in an apparent victory dance.

"They've been at it for a while," Charity continues. "He hasn't beaten her yet."

"Mr. Kim Jong Kook!," Zoe yells across the room. "Do you want to play with me now?"

He's about to decline, due to a general disinterest and lack of skill concerning video games, when Kwang Soo breaks in demanding a rematch. "Best four out of seven!," he exclaims, grabbing up his controller and pulling Zoe down to sit beside him on the couch again.

Charity chuckles quietly as Jong Kook turns back toward her. "Well, that settles that, I guess," he says.

"I'm just putting together dinner," Charity says. "Are you hungry?"

"No, I just had dinner with a friend."

"A giiiirl friend?," she asks teasingly and he flushes. She grins at his response. "How's that going?"

"Ehhh..." he says. "It's not, I don't think."

"Oh? She's not the one for you?"

"No, no, she is, but... "

"But?," Charity encourages as she moves around the kitchen, chopping vegetables and setting some chicken in a grill pan.

"But... she doesn't seem that into me."

"Hm," Charity responds and says nothing more.

Jong Kook is quiet for a moment before he continues. "Or maybe she is? I mean, she's always happy to see me."

"That's something," Charity agrees, arranging vegetables in bowls and flipping the chicken.

"Yeah," Jong Kook says. "And I think... I think I should have kissed her before I got out of the car, but I didn't know if she wanted me to."

Please log in to read the full chapter