Ch 34 - Games After the Games

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

A couple of hours later, Jong Kook and Kwang Soo are pushing the couches back into place from where they'd been shoved aside to make room for some energetic Twister playing. They'd started with Kwang Soo spinning the wheel and calling out colors and appendages in Korean for Jong Kook and Zoe. It didn't take long before Zoe had nailed down her left and right, feet and hands, and all four colors in Korean. Being significantly more flexible than Jong Kook, Zoe had also picked up some expressions of triumph as well, as she was able to bend herself around him much more easily than he was able to make the moves himself. After a few rounds, they'd managed to coax Kwang Soo and Charity into a game with Zoe spinning and calling out the colors and body part placements. As Jong Kook suspected would be the case, Kwang Soo's long limbs gave him no real advantage over Charity's well-timed hip checks, and he was sent tumbling to the ground over and over, much to Zoe's amusement.

The two men are just finishing setting the living room back in order when Charity comes back down the stairs from her room where she'd been settling Zoe into bed. She heads into the kitchen where she grabs two beers and a bottle of water before heading back over to the living room. She hands Jong Kook the bottle of water before flopping down on the couch across from him, next to Kwang Soo. She cracks one of the beers and Kwang Soo holds out his hand expectantly.

She takes a sip from her beer and looks at him. "Oh, did you want one of these?," she asks cheekily, before cracking the second beer and taking a sip from that one, too.

"Hey!," Kwang Soo protests, and she grins, handing him one of the beers.

"You're the worst, Cherry," he grumbles.

"I know," she agrees, sipping her beer. "You guys are great, though. Thanks for spending a whole evening playing with Zoe. I think she had a great time."

Jong Kook waves a hand. "It's no bother. She's a lot of fun. Very sharp."

Kwang Soo agrees. "I really like her, Cherry."

"Mmm, me too," she says, and they lapse into companionable silence for a few moments.

"Charity," Kwang Soo says after a bit, "if you want to go out, I can..."

"Nah," she shakes her head. "I've got something I need to do here." She chugs the rest of her beer and Jong Kook's eyebrows go up. She notices. "Relax, I'm just having the one." She stands and takes the empty bottle to the kitchen, then heads to the balcony door and slides it open. There's a scraping sound, and muffled cursing, then she reappears, dragging a large cardboard box with her. Jong Kook jumps up and hurries over to help her.

"Thanks," she says, standing back as her pulls the box further in to the apartment. 

"No problem. Where do you want it? What is it?"

"It's a gift for Zoe. I want to put it together while she's sleeping. I think... " She glances around the apartment. "I'm sorry to say this, but can we move the couches again? It's pretty big."

Kwang Soo finishes his own beer and stands up. The two of them slide the couches out of the way again and Jong Kook situations the box in the middle of the living room, where the Twister mat had been. Reaching into a side table, Charity pulls out a box cutter and slices the box down the sides, spilling out a pile of colorful pieces and a single sheet of instructions.

"Well," she says, surveying the disjointed mess of polls, plastic, and netting. "Crap."

"Crap," Kwang Soo agrees.

Jong Kook bends down to pick up the lone piece of paper, glancing over it. "Oh, it's a trampoline. Charity, you bought Zoe a trampoline? For in the house?"

She shrugs in response. "I want her to think it's fun to be here," she says simply.

Both Jong Kook and Kwang Soo look at her for a long moment. Kwang Soo speaks first.

"Cherry, Zoe's just going to be happy to be here with you. She was happy tonight."

"I know... I mean, I think so. But Miranda doesn't work, and she takes her all these places and spoils her rotten and feeds her pancakes all the time, and I know she's having a great time there, so... " She shrugs again, clearly a bit uncomfortable with her insecurity regarding her own daughter. "Anyway, you guys can go to bed. I can do this."

Jong Kook looks over the instructions again. "I think," he says slowly, "with the three of us, we can knock this out pretty quickly." He looks at Kwang Soo for confirmation, and he nods back, moving to Jong Kook's side to look over the instructions himself. 

"Oh, yeah, Cherry, we can all do this together."

"That's not necessary, really." She moves to Jong Kook's other side and peeks at the paper. "I think I can do this. And you guys have already given up so much of your night for Zoe and me, and I really appreciate it. Please get some rest."

"No," Jong Kook says firmly. "This won't take long, and we really don't mind at all."

"Not at all, Cherry," Kwang Soo agrees. "But I'm going to need another beer." He heads to the kitchen.

"Well, all right," she relents. "To tell the truth, I don't think I can do it." She grins at Jong Kook. "Thanks a lot."

"Don't even mention it. It looks like fun," he says, a bit dubiously.

Kwang Soo returns with his beer and Charity and Jong Kook settle onto the floor, separating the pieces into their various categories. Soon, the three of them have an easy system worked out for assembling each of the supports of the large toy, and the work moves smoothly, if not particularly quickly.

"So, Kim Jong Kook-ssi," Charity says suddenly. "I've been thinking about what we were talking about earlier." They're both focused on sliding netting over interlocked poles, looking down at their work. "So you think she wanted you to kiss her and you didn't go for it, or you weren't sure if she wanted you to kiss her, so you didn't go for it?"

"Hyung!" Kwang Soo exclaims. "You didn't go for it?"

Jong Kook glowers at the both of them. "No, I -- loo

Please log in to read the full chapter