Ch 24 - Work It

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Around 6 the next morning, Jong Kook slides his phone out of his pocket for the fifteenth time. He's been awake for a couple of hours already. He's already showered and had breakfast and is fully dressed with his gym bag packed. He sits on the couch in Charity's dim living room, wondering yet again if it's too early to message Hannah that he's on his way. They did say bright and early, he reasons to himself, but he also knows that his version of early doesn't always match up with everyone else's.

At about 5 minutes after six, he decides he can't wait any longer and pulls his phone out yet again to text Hannah. She did say "early early," so he figures he's safe. In confirmation of his hunch, just as he's about to key in a message, his phone lights up with a message from Hannah herself.

HannahBanana799476: Mr. Kim Jong Kook! Are you awake? Am I waking you up? WAKE UP, MR. KIM JONG KOOK LET'S GO.

Jong Kook grins.

kjk76: I've been awake for hours waiting on you to get out of bed! I'll head over now if you're ready to go?

HannahBanana799476: I will be by the time you get here! I'm about to make myself a protein shake, shall I make one for you, too?

About 25 minutes later, Jong Kook pulls smoothly to a stop at the curb in front of Hannah's apartment building. Just as he's about to exit the car to head up to her apartment to get her, she bounds through the double doors of the building's lobby, a bright pink gym bag slung over one shoulder and a large lidded plastic cup of an evil looking green sludge clutched in each hand. As she approaches the car, she juggles the two drinks carefully, trying to tuck one under her chin as she reaches for the handle of the door. Jong Kook quickly hops out and circles the car in a flash, grabbing the handle and pulling open the door so Hannah can settle herself inside.

"I almost had it!," she exclaims, grinning up at him as she tucks her long legs under the dashboard. "But thank you!"

Jong Kook reflexively grins back as he gently shuts the door, then jogs back around to get into the driver's seat.

"Good morning," he says, taking in Hannah's perky appearance. She's wearing skin tight black workout pants splotched with an abstract pink pattern. They stop just above her knees. Up top, an oversized grey sweatshirt with PENN emblazoned across the chest and a sleek ponytail complete her look. She wears no makeup, but looks bright and fresh regardless.

"Good morning!," she answers as she hands him one of her green sludgey concoctions. "I'm SO EXCITED to get to the gym. Let's go go go!" She slaps the dashboard with her free hand.

"Hang on a second," Jong Kook complains. "Let me try some of this." He gestures with his shake. "You're making lunch, remember? I need to get a preview of what I'm in for." He puts the straw to his lips and she watches him closely as he takes a sip, and then another. She bursts into laughter as his face twists into a grimace.

"What is IN this?," he asks after finally forcing it down. 

"Top secret recipe," Hannah replies. 

Jong Kook eases away from the curb and onto the road. "Is your secret ingredient poison?"

Hannah laughs. "It's not that bad! And it's good for you. Trust me. I'm like three quarters of a doctor." She turns in her seat to angle toward him, lifting his cup up so the straw is at his lips. "Come on! Drink up!" She prods at his lips with the straw until he grudgingly opens his lips to take another sip. She alternates sipping on her own shake and forcing his down his throat the entire way to the gym, poking the straw back into his mouth every time Jong Kook parts his lips to speak. By the time he pulls into the parking lot of his gym, he's drained the cup. Hannah slurps down the rest of hers, as well.

"There, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

He shakes his head at her in response, letting himself out of the car and jogging around the hood to open her door as she pulls her bag from the back seat where she'd tossed it. He extands a hand and she eyes it briefly before shrugging and taking it, allowing him to help her step from the car. The back of Jong Kook's neck warms gently at the touch and he quickly withdraws as soon as she's on her feet, coughing and ducking his head to hide the color crawling up his cheeks.

He needn't have worried, as Hannah is standing back looking at the nondescript building, taking in Jong Kook's gym.

"I know it doesn't look like much," he says hastily, ushering her toward the door. "But it's a great gym. It's private and everyone is helpful."

"I think I'll like it," Hannah says as they step into the small lobby that's open to the main workout space. Seeming at home, she steps confidently onto the floor and he follows quickly behind. Following Jong Kook's lead and tossing her bag to one side, Hannah follows him around the smallish but efficient space, smiling brightly as he introduces her to the couple people who also regularly frequent the gym at the early hour. After a quick tour of the equipment, they circle back to their bags.

"So...," Jong Kook says hesitantly. "What's your usual routine?" He busies himself getting his water bottle from his bag as Hannah pulls her baggy sweatshirt over her head and shakes out her ponytail. Under the sweatshirt, she's wearing a black racerback workout tank, plain and formfitting. She sits down on a nearby bench and tightens her shoelaces.

"I assume you're a weights kind of guy, eh?," Hannah says, eyeing up his shoulders and arms as he sheds his own zip up hoodie. 

"Guilty," he replies. "I have a fairly set routine, but --" He stops, running his hand over his back, and sighs. He bends to his bag again, rummaging through before coming up with a roll of athletic tape. 

"Everything okay?," Hannah asks.

"Yes, I just forgot to tape up before I left the house." He gestures to a man across the room, holding the roll of tape in the air.

As the man starts toward the couple to give Jong Kook a hand, Hannah pipes up, "Oh, I'll do it for you." Before Jong Kook can protest, Hannah grabs him firmly by the shoulders and spins him around so his back is toward her. She places a hand between his shoulder blades, pushing firmly until he leans his upper body forward, then slides his shirt up over his lower back. Jong Kook is flooded

Please log in to read the full chapter