Ch 31 - Eggs?

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

The next day starts early for Jong Kook. He hits the gym in the building for a quick hour before hustling back to Charity's apartment to shower. He gathers some clothes from the room he's quickly starting to consider his and brings them, along with a towel, into the bathroom, remembering to lock the door this time.

By the time he's finished and brushing his teeth at the sink, he can hear Charity and Zoe moving around in the kitchen. He slips out of the bathroom quietly, intending to head back to his room without disturbing the pair, but as he passes the living area, Zoe's head pops up over the back of the couch.

"Hello!," she calls to him.

He stops, towel slung over his arm. "Hello, Zoe. Good morning." He smiles at her. "What are you up to today?"

Charity huffs in the kitchen, waving a spatula in frustration. "Zoe," she breaks in. "How do you say hello?"

"Hello!," she replies brightly.

"Zoe." Charity's tone is disapproving.

Zoe sighs, shoving her glasses back up her nose with her finger. Still draped over the back of the couch, she says, "Annyeonghaseyo," very slowly and deliberately, then looks at Charity for approval. Her mother nods at her and goes back to whatever she has cooking on the stove.

"Oh!" Jong Kook pretends to be surprised. "Are you Korean, Zoe? You sound Korean!"

"No!," Zoe laughs. "I'm American!"

"Are you sure?," he asks suspiciously. "Because I'm pretty sure you just spoke Korean."

Zoe beams under his praise, looking again over to her mother, who gives her a thumbs up.

"How about when I get home later I help you practice?," he asks her. "We can all play a game together."

"Yes!," exclaims Zoe. "I will be the best Korean and you will be the worst!"

Jong Kook laughs. "We'll just see tonight, won't we?"

"We're about to have eggs. I threw some in for you when I heard you in the shower." Charity gestures to the pan with her spatula. "Almost ready."

"Oh -- okay." Jong Kook is still taken aback by Charity's kindness. He crosses the rest of the way to his room and tosses his dirty clothes aside, then grabs what he needs for the day before heading back out to the kitchen. He pulls out a stool and sits down across from where Charity is cooking. She turns to the fridge and pours two glasses of orange juice and one of water, putting the water in front of the stool to his left and pushing one of the orange juices across to him. He nods in thanks and puts his phone on the counter, scrolling through to make sure he's up to date on his schedule for the day. Zoe clambers up beside him.

"You have a lot scheduled today?," Charity asks him, her back to him as she slides the eggs onto plates.

"Eh," Jong Kook shrugs as she turns around and sets a plate in front of him and another in front of Zoe. "One of those days with a lot of little things. Nothing that will take too long itself, but a long day."

Charity nods as she fixes her own plate. "Ji Hyo has one of those today, as well."

"Oh." Jong Kook looks at Zoe, who is shoveling eggs into with surprising speed. "Then Zoe's... ?"

Zoe lifted her head at the sound of her name. "Mimi is taking me to the children's museum today, Mr. Kim Jong Kook! And to the zoo!"

Jong Kook slides his eyes toward Charity, but she's looking down at her plate as if she's got the most interesting eggs in the world. He stares at her for a beat, then looks back at Zoe. "That sounds like fun. Are you excited?"

She nods, stuffing the last of her eggs in as the doorbell rings. "I'll get it!," she bellows, and slides down from her stool, rushing for the door.

Jong Kook looks at Charity again. This time she looks up and meets his eyes. Her lips twist in a wry smile and she shrugs before collecting Zoe's plate and turning away from him to give it a quick rinse in the sink. He watches her back, straight and stiff. He finds himself impressed with her determination to get through this time to reach her end goals. He's about to say as much when he hears Miranda in the hallway.

"Come on, Zoe. Get your bag and let's leave! We can get breakfast!"

Please log in to read the full chapter